peoples comments

i think that peoples comments about the way others models have been made and finished can mean so much to the builder more to the inexpierienced and really boost their confidence i once had a boys mother thank me for helping her son go from making bits of plastic with wings to suddenly turn them. into an aeroplane she could recognise .My biggest lift was at a show at mildenhall I was on the ipms Essex stand and had a few 1/32nd scale jets on show a gent was admiring my tamiya f15c and said i had got it spot on i thanked him and he told me i had modeled "his plane" he was an f15 piolot from lakenheath he then gave me a photo of "his plane"and my model was indeed of said aircraft i felt great i have never seen any bad words said about anyones kit on the brimodler site no mater what they look like this makes me proud to be a model maker thankyou everyone bob the lanc lover

I agree with your sentiments entirely. We all have a duty to encourage each other. This way we can only make the hobby stronger to the benefit of all of us.

Martin

I agree with the sentiments. We should never discourage people from our great hobby with rude, insulting, nasty, etc. comments.

However there is a place for constructive criticism along the lines of

"I think your model of the Scruggs Wonderplane is fantastic. The paint work is exceptional, however I have noticed that you have stuck the port wing where the starboard one should be and vice versa".

If we don't receive feedback we will never learn/improve.

Absolutely agree, constructive feedback is always welcome as it helps you to improve the next model. Negative comments not only discourage people from posting but also from building - but thankfully I've never seen any on this forum :speak_cool:

When I posted my first model on here, I got some great comments and encouragement. That model is now no longer on show! I always remember that when posting on other peoples models.

Anothing I bear in mind is what an old guy I met in Gloucester docks said to me when we got chatting about the boats there.

"It may be an old wreck of a tub, but it's someone's pride and joy"

• 2 months later...

i remember when i was 7 years old and had been modelling just a couple of months i guess ?

i always admired the models in my local hobbyshop window (this was a very dedicated shop with a lot of talent by some well known modellers at the time)

i worked over a few kits and decided to ask them what they thought ,

what ensued stoped me modelling for almost 10 years ,

they said they were terrible laughed openly ,passing them around and each taking another aspect of scabby paint and dodgy seams

and rrunning with it , needles to say it destroyed me and my passion at the time , I now work in the modelling industry itself so i have made it my business to never be so harsh constructive criticism is a needful thing for us to improve

an no matter what anyone says if its hurtful juust try again and do not let them knock you

i go of the addage ( apart from constructive critticism obviously ) that if you can't find anything good to say about someones work , don't say anything .

as you could put someone off what could have been a lifetimes enjoyment ( whatever standard they build to )

like any hobby there's only a small percentage of us that will make cup winners ( great to see their work though )

the rest of us just do for the enjoyment whatever level that may be at..

I agree with both the main points already mentioned. Firstly, outright putting someone down over a model will never do anyone any good, and can really be off-putting - particularly for modellers new to the hobby. It is also good to say what people have done right in their build as well, so that the builder knows to do likewise in future. Such comments also qualify any constructive criticism you then make of a model, because then the builder knows you're not just trying to slag them down, but are actually trying to help.

Constructive criticism does have its place, of course - someone saying "this doesn't look quite right to me" and then being able to justify this and ideally say how to fix it, can really help a modeller to improve - if not for the model under discussion then for the next build. For me, it is important to be part of a community with wide-ranging abilities in the hobby. I know I'm not the best modeller on here by any stretch of the imagination, but some of the builds and tips and techniques I have seen on here have really inspired me to better my efforts, and my modelling has improved as much in the last six months or so as it had over the past couple of years! I would also like to add my thanks to the Britmodeller community as whole here, for all your advice, feedback, encouragement and support.

At the end of the day, we must remember we all started somewhere. If an experienced modeller were to dig out a model he/she made when they first started modelling, chances are they'll think it was pretty poor, at least by their current standards. Live and let live, and enjoy the talent and input each modeller can bring to Britmodeller, whatever their skill level. At the end of the day, it's meant to be fun! :)

If an experienced modeller were to dig out a model he/she made when they first started modelling, chances are they'll think it was pretty poor, at least by their current standards.

a curtis p40 kittyhawk i think , airfix 1/72 with painting only describable as looking like it had been tie dyed ( including cannopy ) well it was the late 60's , with most parts glued in the aproximate areas ( with lots of tube cement )

yep you're right my first one was bloody terrible ( and quite a few after ) but relatives sat there saying aaaawwww that's lovely ... if only you knew how bad your parents eyesight was ..

Exactly.

We're all modellers of different abilities. It's not how good you are, it's what you get from the hobby, and importantly how much you enjoy it. I get very little time to actually do any serious modelling these days due to work.

I always find that sites such as this are a real inspiration to me to always try to do better. In short I NEVER, EVER pick fault with anyone's work, because I find that highly conceited. Helpful comments yes of course, (I expect the same back), but to outwardly condemn an effort that someone has put a lot of their time into and is proud of, is not only cruel and disheartening for them, it's bang out of order. I've seen it so many times at shows; the self-appointed 'experts'. There's even one that does the rounds on the sites [although I'm obviously not going to mention who it is, but I've been a victim of him myself].

As others have said, if you cannot be complimentary, then keep it to yourself.

It's important that we keep this hobby alive not only for ourselves but also for the next generation.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

I couldnt agree more with whats been said,if i hadnot come across this site with all the incredable modelers i would still be churning out c--p.in the few months i have been on here i think my standards have rose thanks to you lads and lassies on here,and it can only help my son as he grows.

Politeness costs nuthin' :) I've always advocated constructive criticism, and 99.9% of us can manage that... there's always a few dysfunctionals that can't, but they tend not to stick around for some reason :shrug::innocent:

Credit where credit is due would be another maxim that's worth remembering. Don't tell someone that's the best Scruggs Wonderplane you've ever seen if it ain't. Tell 'em it's a good job though by all means & offer any assistance you feel would help them improve in a nice way... we can't all be the best* ;)

* I'd like to say I am, but I'm not, sadly :(

Politeness costs nuthin' :)I've always advocated constructive criticism, and 99.9% of us can manage that... there's always a few dysfunctionals that can't, but they tend not to stick around for some reason :shrug::innocent:

Credit where credit is due would be another maxim that's worth remembering. Don't tell someone that's the best Scruggs Wonderplane you've ever seen if it ain't. Tell 'em it's a good job though by all means & offer any assistance you feel would help them improve in a nice way... we can't all be the best* ;)

* I'd like to say I am, but I'm not, sadly :(

Unfortunately, peoples ideas of what constitues Constructive Criticism can be quite varied. "I only said that was the worst Spitfire model I have ever seen, and that I wondered why the builder even bothered with models since I've seen 5 year olds produce better work, and he went off in a huff! I mean, how is he ever going to get better if people don't tell him?"

Hi Jim

can't believe that anyone could be such a (bleep) as to treat a child like that!

hope the modelling gods visited appropriate vengeance upon them! :mg:

hi walrus, unfortunatley no lightning earthquakes and such :fraidnot: , it was pretty crappy thinking back on what they did ,

but people still exist that are like that today a year or two back i met another guy who did the same thing

to a 12 year old at a show he was a young adult and a real good modeller i'm affraid i got pretty vocal with him :tapedshut

but it brought back a lot of hurt for me and there was no need to be so harsh all the lad needed were some pointers

i personally saw to it the young lads dad brought him to the shop a few times over the weeks i gave him some cheap old matchbox and airfix kits to use for some tutoring and he is now a fab little modeller bless im and his dad is too lol .

all it took was nurturing and our hobby doesnt loose a new recuruit ,

we all had to start somewhere right ?

Unfortunately, peoples ideas of what constitues Constructive Criticism can be quite varied. "I only said that was the worst Spitfire model I have ever seen, and that I wondered why the builder even bothered with models since I've seen 5 year olds produce better work, and he went off in a huff! I mean, how is he ever going to get better if people don't tell him?"

Hence the politeness bit at the beginning :smartass:

he is now a fab little modeller bless im and his dad is too lol .

all it took was nurturing and our hobby doesnt loose a new recuruit ,

we all had to start somewhere right ?

you said it right Jim

and it won't just be the modelling but will hopefully develop the lad's confidence and self esteem in other things too imo

you said it right Jim

and it won't just be the modelling but will hopefully develop the lad's confidence and self esteem in other things too imo

Absolutley mate !

you said it right Jim

Not to mention patience & perseverance... a commodity like gold dust in this video-generation age of zero concentra.... oooh look. Fish! :analintruder:

Not to mention patience & perseverance... a commodity like gold dust in this video-generation age of zero concentra.... oooh look. Fish! :analintruder:

True Mike everything seems based on instant gratification these days