1:48 Hasegawa F-14D Tomcat

AnonymousDFB1

Right this is my third entry into the GB, complete with resin cockpit and AM decals

yupvvj.jpg

I've made a start, by separating all the resin bits from the casting blocks

ywash5.jpg

Now as I I have never fitted a resin cockpit before, what is the correct sequence.

I'm guessing that I should paint it up fit all the bits together and then fit it to the fuselage?

I can't see how to dry fit it without putting it all together and if I try without it all being cemented together it falls apart as I try.

Im no expert Sis, but Id sand the office & fuselage until you have a nice dry fit, then paint & fit :thumbsup2:

Looking forwards to this one :yahoo:

Bex

The problem is that I can't keep the side wall or the front IP in place while I dry fit it.

tape & blue tak will sort that Sis :yahoo:

Bex

Mish, to keep it in place while you work, blu tack is the best option then sand,sand,sand till your happy. I am guessing Aries F-14D pit? You should have to sand much, also construct the Front Wheel Well as you need that in place as well to make sure you get a nice tidy fit.

HTH

Mish, i discovered no matter how much reading one does you can still either do a fantastic job, or screw it up. My advice to you is just do it and take your time sand abit test fit. Sand abit more and so on till your comfortable with the fit. There is no right or wrong way when it comes to resin pits and everyone has there own style of doing one, so in away you need to find yours.

Mish, I can certainly understand your caution... what the others have said is true, however. You can read tutorials until you're blue in the face, but until you actually go to try for yourself, you'll never know :D. the Aries pit in 1/48 isn't too hard to work with, fortunately (better than the black box/avionix one), just go slow and check things from every angle. Seeing your previous work on other projects, I know you'll be able to swing this with little trouble at all :D

Looking forward to your progress!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got back to doing some work on this one.

During fitting I managed to knock off the two 'horns' that go either side of the canopy ram. So I got the origin part and cut away the parts I needed and grafted them onto the resin cockpit.

ywqosq.jpg

All primed up and ready for painting

ywqost.jpg

Mish do you intend to have the canopy up or down?

If down I would include this in the dry-fit process, as when I attempted this with the 1/72 Aires pit, my canopy was dipped in Klear and curing, when I fitted mine, and a few weeks later I found the pit had bulged the canpoy sill. This meant if I wanted to have a closed canopy, I would have either pry the canopy apart to fit or undo the assembly, sand the pit sides and refit. As it was, mine was having an open canopy, so wasn't as noticeable.

Your were lucky you got the "horns" on yours, both my 1/48 pits I have, seem to have had them knocked off prior to packaging.

Good luck

There's a recession on Mish, stop using the Queens Currency as nose weights!!!! Lol :frantic:

Looking good is that Pit!

Adam

• 2 weeks later...