Weapons in use by the RAF in 1:72

alex

Hello there,
some questions: what weapons did the RAF/RN use in the last decades, and how are they available in 1:72? (thinking mostly of the well-known Hasegawa weapon kit, maybe some kitbashing or scratching them). If anyone has some good tips how to get hold of them (cheap kits with heavy ordnance, maybe some small changes to foreign counterparts), feel free to post or PM, I will try to update and correct this list according to your input, and hopefully it will grow into a kind of usable "reference list"!

Free Fall weapons
Background: AFAIK, they didnt't use the US free fall bombs (Mk. 82-84, Snakeeyes), but only their own ones.
Kits: 1000lbs: Revell Tornado GR1 (4x). Airfix Jaguar (4x) and old Hawk (4x), Hasegawa Harrier GR.5 (2x)
AM: 1000lbs: Aviation Workshop (Resin / 2 pcs / £5)

Bomblets dispensers
CBU-87
Background:
Kits: Revell Jaguar RoG, (4x, but look terrible)
AM: 6 of them in the Hasegawa weapon kit (X72-9)

BL-755
Background info: Withdrawn 2007 / 2008
Kits: Italeri Harrier GR3 (4x). Hasegawa F-16 and Jaguar (2x). Airfix Jaguar (4x) and Harrier GR3 and GR5 (5x), Fujimi Alpha Jet
AM: ?

JP-233 Bomb dispensers
Background: used on Tornados in Desert Storm 1991
Kits: Hasegawa Tornado GR1 (2x)
AM: Model Workshop (Resin / 2 pcs / £7.50)

Air to ground missiles / rockets
CVR-7
Background: Used on Harrier GR7 and Jaguar GR3
Kits: Airfix Harrier GR.7/9
AM:Aviation Workshop (Resin / 2 pcs / £5)

SNEB 68mm-Pods
Background: Harrier GR3's in the Falklands War (apparently, this info is wrong...)
Kits: Revell Hunter FGA9 (2x) and old Airfix Hawk (4x), Airfix Harrier GR.1 and GR.3, Airfix Buccaneer S2B/S2D/S Mk.50 (4x), Hasegawa Harrier GR.3 (2x)
AM: Aviation Workshop (Resin / 2 pcs / £3.85), Italeri Nato weapons set

AGM-65 Maverick
Background: Used on Harrier GR7 since 1999
Kits: should be many of... Revell Hunter Mk.58 (2x)
AM: 6 of them in the Hasegawa Weapon Kit (X72-4), Italeri Nato weapons set

Brimstone
Background: Used on Tornado GR4, Harrier GR9 and Typhoon F2. Since 2005
Kits: Hasegawa EF (6x, incl. pylons)
AM: The new Hasegawa Weapon Kit (X72-10)

Storm Shadow
Background: Used on Tornados GR4 (since 2003) and EF
Kits: Revell EF (2x), Hasegawa EF (2x)
AM: Aviation Workshop (Resin / 2 pcs / £10)

Alarms
Background: Used on Tornados GR1-GR4, some Tornados F3
Kits: Revell Tornado GR1 (2x), Hasegawa EF (4x)
Italeri Tornado IDS (3x)

Sea Eagle

Background: Used on Buccaneers, Sea Harriers and Tornados GR.1B

Kits: Airfix Sea Harrier FRS.1 and FA.2 (2x), Hasegawa Sea Harrier FRS.1 (2x)

Laser guided bombs
Background: Apparently, the British Paveways are made differently than the US ones (shape), so no big use for the Hasegawa pieces.
Kits: Revell Tornado GR1 (2x CPU-123B), Airfix Harrier GR.7/9 (2x GBU-12, apparently missing the GPS antenna?)

Airfix Buccaneer S2B/S2D/S Mk.50 (2x Paveway II)
AM: 2000 lbs Paweway II from Aviation Workshop (Resin / 2 pcs / £7.50). Hasegawa, but are they correct for RAF?

Air to Air missiles
AIM-9L Sidewinder
Background:
Kits: most, really...
AM: Hasewaga Weapons kit (8 in the X72-3 and 6 in the X72-9), Eduard Brassin (4x)

AIM-120 AMRAAM
Background: will replace the Skyflash. Used on Tornado F3, Tiffies and SHar FA2
Kits: Revell EF (4x), Hasegawa EF (4x)
AM: Hasewaga Weapons kit (4 in the X72-3 and X72-10, and 6 in the X72-9), Italeri Nato weapons set

AIM-132 ASRAAM
Background: will replace the AIM-9
Kits: Revell EF (2x), Hasegawa EF (4x)
AM: Aviation Workshop (Resin / 2 pcs / £4.50), Hasegawa Weapon kit (X72-10), Italeri Nato weapons set

Meteor
Background: not yet in service
Kits: Revell EF (2x), Hasegawa EF (2x)
AM: Hasegawa Weapon kit (X72-10)

Skyflash
Background:Used on Tornado F3, was replaced by AMRAAM
Kits: Revell Tornado F3 (4x)
AM: 6 AIM-7 in the Hasegawa Weapons Kit (X72-9); do they look 100% like Skyflashes?
4 AIM-7 in the Hasegawa Weapons Kit (X72-3)

Edited by alex
  • Like 2

A good source for RAF weapons is the out of production Airfix RAF/Nato weapons set.

These can still be found in dusty corners of model shops-(I got mine in "Toys and Prams" in Wisbech a couple of years ago.) and contains detailed parts and an etched fret for a wide variety of RAF weapons, Including the JP233 and the CPU-123/B LGB that the RAF use.

Maybe Airfix might consider a re-issue if they still have the tooling.

Link:

http://sepecat.info/b/2007/02/12/the-airfi...to-weapons-set/

BL755 - Hasegawa F-16

SNEB 68mm pods - Revell Hunter FGA9;

LGBs - the Revell Tornado GR1 has a pair of CPU-123B ones, as well as radar fused 1000lb free fall bombs

Withdrawn in 1985,half way thru my weps course,current one is Mk930 which is programmabe multi-purpose.

With regard to Paveway - the Hasegawa GBU-24 (the 2000lb Paveway III) is correct for the GR4 and Harrier GR7/9

I believe that Aviation Workshop are planning to do the Brimstone, with launchers (I answered a post from someone of an after-market disposition enquiring about the weapon).

Don't forget Paveway 4, which is a tad different from the GBU-12, so no out-of-box employment of the Hasegawa ones if you like to be accurate!

RAF Harriers in the Falklands didn't use SNEB, but the RN's 2-inch rocket; there was an issue over stray wriggly amps setting off the SNEB, IIRC.

Finally, there are the 540lb free-fall bombs that the Harriers have been carrying in Afghanistan. I can't think of a source for these.

Don't a pair of those come with the old Matchbox 1/72 Sea Harrier?

Rob M.

If we're talking the 70s-era 1000lb bomb, there are 4 in the Airfix Jaguar and Hawk kits: they're the ones I've mentally earmarked as the best 1/72 representations, but there may be better around now. I reckon they certainly they beat anything Hasegawa and Matchbox have produced.

Hawk also has 4 SNEB pods. Again I used to consider them best of breed but they're maybe shaded now by those in the Revell Hunter.

Jaguar also has 4 BL755 cluster bombs. Fine if you can find some etched brass fuses for the nose, but I vaguely recall seeing something better: Revell Tornado??

From memory there are some bombs in the Airfix Strikemaster which appear to depict a size not otherwise done in 1/72. 250lb?

I am not aware of any representations of the RN 2" rocket pod, even poor ones.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex

You seem to have forgotten the REAL weapons - Those little bundles of instant sunshine: Blue Danube, Yellow Sun, Red Beared and the different versions of WE.177. All of these are available in the Belcher Bits Kit BL.3

:boom:

Jeff

And on more day-to-day level:

CBLS 100 used by Jaguars, Buccaneers, Harrier GR3 and Sea Harrier FRS1 and FA2: available from Aviation Workshop and a long discontinued Harrier set

CBLS 200 used by Tornados and Hawks: available from Flightpath as part of their Hawk detail set, our own Desmojen and the long discontinued Harrier set

ACMI pod: available from Aviation Workshop

Hi Alex

You seem to have forgotten the REAL weapons - Those little bundles of instant sunshine: Blue Danube, Yellow Sun, Red Beared and the different versions of WE.177. All of these are available in the Belcher Bits Kit BL.3

:boom:

Jeff

Ahh...Load training every month at the WTC...The memories.....

• 5 years later...

Some also existed earlier: for example the Sea Eagle is also included in the hasegawa Sea harrier. The amraam and Sparrows/sidewinders were included in Italeri's NATO weapons set. This also includes a couple of mavericks, can't remember the version, and the SNEB pods. This set also included a couple of Sea Skuas, but these while British are not strictly an RAF weapon

BL755s are in Fujimi's Alpha Jet, the old tool Airfix Harrier GR.5 and the Hasegawa Harrier GR.3. The latter also includes 2 1,000 lbs bombs and 2 SNEB launchers, none brilliant IMHO

• Like 1

Had a look on Hannants at what Olimp do, just weapons wise you're looking at;

Typhoon update: 4x EPWII

Tornado update: 2x PWIV and 3x Brimstone (inc triple launcher)

GR7/9 update: 2x EPWII and 2x PWIV

£15.99 each (but that's obviously including other parts/decals!), I wish I could make resin copies myself...!

• 3 months later...

Barracuda studios are apparently going to release after market Redtop missiles and obviously they are in the airfix lightning kit along with Firestreaks. I thought I got some Red tops from freightdog at Telford but can't find them on the website :-/

• Like 1