At last, she is finished. Now to reward everyone for their patience, here are a few piccies:
I'm quite pleased with how this came out for an OOB build of such an old kit - the only addition I made was some fuse wire ejection handles. I elected to use the kit's canopies in the end, as when they are on, the aircraft has the correct profile. The problem with the canopies is that the canopy bars are moulded into the fuselage, so if you paint them onto the canopy as well, they look way too shallow. I got around this by not painting the bars onto the canopies - while there are still very finely moulded canopy bars on the transparenceis, this is barely noticeable so I figured I would just leave it be. The transfers actually went on and settled down very nicely, the only issue being the glue was very yellow and required cleaning off the backs of the transfers with a wet brush before applying them, but the transfers themselves are passably white. The roundels are very slightly out of register, and there is a brely noticeable white crescent edge to them - that and the "R" on the fin should be in a narrower font and that's my pleasantly short list of gripes about the transfers - could have been a lot worse considering their age.
Anyway, all told I'm quite pleased with the results for this one, it certainly looks pretty on my shelf.
Edited by Davec_24, 22 January 2009 - 10:20 PM.