John's Entry

kstater94

Just wanted to give a quick update to show everyone how I'm coming on the Phantom

It's coming along very slooooooowly...

Tonight I continued working on the hot end

I had some issues that I'm not entirely happy with due to airbrush issues and finger fumbles... <_<

But, hopefully by the time I'm all done dirtying it up you shouldn't be able to tell

100_1280.jpg

100_1281.jpg

Cheers!

John

Thanks again for the encouraging words everyone!

To address the question of the burner cans. Yes Nick, I plan on using the kit cans. After reading the issues that you and Bex had with yours, I went back and dry fitted them and they appeard as if they wouldn't give me any issues... let's keep our fingers crossed that this stays that way when I actually go and glue them in!

Cheers!

John

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures right now

that compressor REALLY helps out a LOT though (never realized how much a good compressor contributes to a succesful paint job before!)

I've mainly been working on the heat "aging" of the metal on the horizontal stabs and last night I shot the outside of the burner cans. I'll go back in and add a little more work to them and then post pics when It appears like I'm simply posting the same thing as a few posts prior just to say that I'm making progress...

Cheers!

John

Any new progress shots? I know you've put that new compressor to work already.

I'll be home tomorrow evening after I quench the thirst of some Raptors and Vipers. Then, 4 days off to build and finish my own FG.1

WD

WD

Can't wait to see some of your photos!

Cheers!

ZZ

Been slogging away on the bare metal bits to get them to look right

I've got the stabs all painted up although I'm not entirely happy with the center section of the titanium (think it needs to be darker)

I also decided to go back in with gun metal and darken the natural metal area as that area really did quite hot back there

The engines aren't glued in, I just wanted to see how everything looked. I have a few finishing touches left before I'm satisfied

100_1300.jpg

100_1295.jpg

Cheers

John

I used Tamiya's "Metallic Grey" (XF-56)

In hindsight (and after looking at photos of that area on the stabs on Phantoms) I guess it doesn't look too bad (especially when I get done adding the wash to it)

That's one thing I need to learn to do is stop getting so fixated on one little detail that it prevents me from moving forward to completing the model (that's what has stoped me in the past)

There are things that I am not happy with here, but there are things that I've tried for the first time that I'm just going to have to improve upon with the next model.

So

Back to the bench

All modelers share the fact that we are our own worst critic. As Antoine and I agreed about in my RFI thread, what looks good to your own eye is what is most important. When I built my Tornado F.3 I painted the tanks in a sand color that I felt approximated what freshly painted, unfaded tanks would look like, someone else (I won't mention names) felt that the color looked too dark. *shrug* Oh well, it looks alright to me and since I'm the one who will be seeing it all the time it works for me. Besides, there aren't any FS numbers for metal colors so I think a certain latitude can be allowed. And you yourself said that you're not finished weathering the stabs anyway, so be paitient, grasshopper.

• 2 months later...
You're not fooling anyone, you know.

It has been awhile since any new progress reports have been posted though, wazzup with that?

Life and layoffs I'm afraid, that's what has been getting in the way

Although my job is safe (at the moment) my wife's was not

All that aside though, you guys will be happy to know that I've been working on the mighty Phantom!

I've been weathering it a little and am getting ready to gloss and decal it

After which I'll start attaching the odds and sods to it and call her done

I didn't think posting a picture would appear to show any progress, so I thought I'd wait till I got the decals on

Thanks for the gentle nudges

Cheers!

John

Life and layoffs I'm afraid, that's what has been getting in the way

Although my job is safe (at the moment) my wife's was not

Uh oh, sorry to hear that, you were thinking that it would be the other way around with the layoffs, as I recall. Not that that would've been any better. Give the Mrs. my regrets for me.