Andy's Sea Hurricane

brooksy

Hope you find yours then Paul, 'cos it's really annoying isn't it!!

Anyway, I can now report a bit of progress, as I have managed to find numerous photos as well as the box art to help me do the painting. I did a bit of detail work prior to this, namely to drill out the exhausts, machine some new cannon fairings, as the kit ones looked a bit too big to me (plus I lost one in the carpet :banghead:), and turned some lights for the wings. Painting always gets me worried, as I haven't done much, and success seems to come in fits and spurts. However, I have tried some acrylic paint, as I'm getting fed up with all the smelly solvent with the enamels, and I've had a result. I love these paints, and the cherry on the cake is I can wash my airbrush out with water in the sink, plus they seem to spray on nicely, and dry quickly :) . Here's where I am at the moment.

S99angle030.jpg

hurricanespingsetc020.jpg

hurricanespingsetc022.jpg

hurricanespingsetc026.jpg

hurricanespingsetc025.jpg

Thanks for looking, as always.

Regards

Andy :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get some more done on the Hurricane this weekend, despite feeling like :shit: . I gave the whole lot 4 coats of Johnsons Kleer and got the decals on. Some of my decal placement may be a bit out, as I lost the instructions like a big numpty, so I had to use the box art as my guide. Still, it looks a bit brighter now, and I'm a step closer to breaking my Britmodeller duck, and actually finishing a kit! Since the decals went on, I've sprayed another 2 coats of Kleer on to seal it all in, and put some very diluted water colour paint into the panel lines, as I don't have any of Phil's wash as yet. I did watch his video though, and will be getting some for future builds :thumbsup2:

I shall get some flat varnish on it this week sometime, and then try some pastels to make it look a bit more war weary. I'm not very confident with this end of the process yet, as the only other model I've actually finished was of a preserved Hunter, so it was left all clean and shiny.

DSC02773.jpg

DSC02774.jpg

Any advice and comments gratefully received.

Thanks for looking,

Regards

Thankyou for the replies folks. Rampage55, I used the bluetac sausage method of lining out the camo pattern, so that I got a slightly soft edge to it. I sprayed the EDSG all over the top, and then used Humbrol Maskol between the sausages before spraying the slate grey. I'm not skillful enough to try it freehand that's for sure!

Alex, I used Humbrol acrylic for the camo colours, and Revell acrylic for the sky undersides. I chose not to use a primer, as I'm a bit careless with my airbrush at the moment, and didn't want to risk loosing the panel lines with a heavy coat of primer. This happened to my Hunter, and I spent forever trying to pick it all out with a scriber.

Thanks for looking

Thankyou for the replies folks. Rampage55, I used the bluetac sausage method of lining out the camo pattern, so that I got a slightly soft edge to it. I sprayed the EDSG all over the top, and then used Humbrol Maskol between the sausages before spraying the slate grey. I'm not skillful enough to try it freehand that's for sure!

Alex, I used Humbrol acrylic for the camo colours, and Revell acrylic for the sky undersides. I chose not to use a primer, as I'm a bit careless with my airbrush at the moment, and didn't want to risk loosing the panel lines with a heavy coat of primer. This happened to my Hunter, and I spent forever trying to pick it all out with a scriber.

Thanks for looking

SO here you've machine turned new cannon fairgings and landing lights - and you're worried about a spot of painting?

Methinks you protest too much.

Smashing work!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again folks,

I've managed to finish my Hurricane just inside the deadline. It's the first kit I've finished since I joined Britmodeller in 2007! Anyway, following on from my last update, I sprayed some flat varnish (Humbrol Acrylic No. 49) over the whole model, and tried some wethering for the very first time, using some pastel dust applied with a paint brush. I also quickly turned up some new cannon barrels as the kit ones were a bit tricky to clean up and I lost one to the carpet monster.

DSC02776.jpg

DSC02779.jpg

DSC02781.jpg

I found the hardest thing to do in this small scale was to mask the canopy. I had to do it in two stages. Firstly the horizontal framework, and then once dry, the up and over framework. I had no chance of cutting out individual windows with my eyesight.

DSC02789.jpg

Once all the fidly bits were added, I did a bit more with the pastels, and tried a bit of paint chipping. I'm not too convinced, but pretty happy for a first attempt. It's going to take much more practice to get it spot on. I have to admit that I haven't added an aerial wire yet, as I'll break it off no doubt. I'm waiting until I get somewhere safe to display it before adding one. Here she is finished ^_^

DSC02798.jpg

DSC02799.jpg

DSC02801.jpg

DSC02804.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

Many thanks for everyones interest and encouragement, also to Bex and Seamus for running a very enjoyable group build. I'll pop some pictures in the gallery later this evening.

Thanks for looking

That's a beauty Andy, you could be easily fooled into thinking it was much bigger than 1/72. The addition of the cannon barrels is the proverbial cherry on the cake, a lovely touch :thumbsup:

:goodjob:

Well, Andy "Spraygun" Brooks, that has turned out to be a VERY, VERY nice Sea Hurricane indeed. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Wish I had the talent to turn gun barrels, landing lights, undercarriage bits etc ....etc ....

Now about that Jaguar you're building .................. (insert thumb twiddling emoticon here ...)

Ian

Thankyou Mark, Shaun, and Murdo for such kind replies. I am officially the worlds slowest model maker though :violin:

Well, Andy "Spraygun" Brooks, that has turned out to be a VERY, VERY nice Sea Hurricane indeed. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Wish I had the talent to turn gun barrels, landing lights, undercarriage bits etc ....etc ....

Now about that Jaguar you're building .................. (insert thumb twiddling emoticon here ...)

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's taken as a huge compliment coming from you. Yeah, about the Jaguar. I still have loads to do before being ready for paint, and I've been asked to make a Spitfire Mk I for the RAF Coltishall museum. However, I will try to work in some time on the old girl, as I have a very strong reason for building this particular aircraft. I haven't given up hope yet ;)

Thanks again