Kopro 1/72 SU-22M4R

I'm finally back at the workbench after taking way too much time deliberating about what to build next... After messing with nearly every kit in the stash and rejecting them, going round in circles, over and over again, I finally received a virtual slap around the head and told to get on with it :lol: Somehow I've managed to end up with a Kopro 1/72 SU-22M4R on the bench... This should be interesting :S

Right, first of all, this is what you get... box and contents...

5a629d51.jpg

55ba88fe.jpg

b9aea304.jpg

So... not too bad looking at the sprues, a little crude in moulding but we'll give it a go and see what we get.

Right, looking at the instructions I decided to start at the cockpit (as you usually do!) Looking at the instructions I found a rather excellent looking K-36DM ejection seat and an average cockpit tub that look like this...

269c878b.jpg

So, off to the sprues I go, and I can't find that seat at all??? Instead I find these 'bits' instead :lol:

72686e57.jpg

Hmmm, don't look much like the parts in the instructions do they... Looks like someone got a little overexcited in drawing up those instructions!!

Anyway, I lashed the parts together and added some random instrument decals, and some simple tape straps to the seat so that it didn't look so blank in there. Once the cockpit is over the top, it will hide it a bit and 'blur' it all together (if previous KP cockpits are anything to go by, I'll be lucky to see anything!)

da3bc94f.jpg

8eab1499.jpg

I've put the wings and fuselage together and they are pretty dire in the fit department. Quite a few places need some attention to make a semi decent job of it. Here's a quick look at the areas so far...

The wing roots... and the lovely join on the wing halves :S

4c6de74f.jpg

The underside of the wings...

d8e92dcb.jpg

And the overall position so far after a couple of hours work!

927cb66c.jpg

Looks like a challenge so far anyway!

Karl.

Blimey, that looks to be giving you a bit of grief :o

It's a shame there isn't a really good modern tooling for this aircraft as it makes for a quality subject. If you're thinking Polish, there are a few nice options from the last few years, though not sure if they are the same variant as you're building (not overly clued up on the Fitter family :hmmm:)

Might be worth having a butchers through Airliners.net

Some of them should test your airbrushing skills :evil_laugh:

Whatever you choose, looking forward to seeing how you progress :)

Karl, just don't lose that rivet and panel detail. For once I'd say it's a little understated. :whistle:

Rich

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about that.... maybe I should scribe it a little deeper!! :lol:

:analintruder: at those seat parts versus the instructions. Priceless.

I had to include that one... I thought that was a little over optimistic in the instructions!

Karl.

Got a bit more progress done on this today... Sat filling and sanding for a while and sorted out the spine and wing roots. They are all sorted and scribed back in now. Just got a few other little bits to tidy and then I can move forward again with it!

Here's the latest on it...

Spine sorted

dac5d0f0.jpg

Wings sorted

05a5b326.jpg

Overall

8b457398.jpg

Time to get cracking on it as the enthusiasm is waning for this kit now :lol:

Karl.

OK, I finally got to the workbench for an hour or two this morning after being a bit ill over the last few days! I'm still progressing this diabolical kit to see what I can do with it...

The major construction is now all done, and it is practically ready for painting now.

1a478576.jpg

The last job I need to do before the paint is to fair in the probes on the nose as they are bad.

0ad363aa.jpg

Just happy to be back at the workbench for a short time!

Karl.

More progress made on the SU-22. I've applied some RLM65 as the underside blue colour as it doesn't seem too far off, and also applied some fairly strong post shading to it. I want to go for a fairly well weathered and dirty finish on it, so this seems like a good start.

Here's the sprayed and Kleared underside...

d52e37f9.jpg

I added some random shading all over the kit as it lacked much detail, hopefully this will fill it in a little on the finished article.

I've also faired in those probes on the nose. I cut away some of the larger plastic, and faired it in to the size of the probes, which is a little more like the proper ones on the nose of the SU-22 anyway.

a283066a.jpg

Time to start thinking about that 4 colour top camo now :S

Karl.

Antoine,

There are some quite cool options on there, but this kit really doesn't deserve any lavish attention :lol: The £4 I paid for it was about as much as I'd want to spend on it :S That is a rather good sheet and would come in very handy if we do have a Gulf War GB later in the year ;) Thanks for pointing them out!

I'm actually going for the East German markings in the box, but not the special scheme. I'll use the decals to make up a standard East German version.

Karl.

One problem with Antoines decal suggestion is it looks like you would have to build a load more! :lol::deadhorse:

Jen.

Just a few...

IrAF AIRCRAFT COVERED ON THIS SHEET:

Mig-17F

MiG-19S

MiG-21MF/bis

MiG-23MS

MiG-25PDS

MiG-29

Hunter F6 and FGA. 59

Mirage F1

Super Etendard

Su-22

Su-24

Su-25

DeH. Vampire/Venom

good work on a shed of a kit mate! don't really know much about the SU-22 but i rekon it looks really cool with all of its lumps and bumps. never realised it was variable geometry either....... you learn something new every day on BM!

Go Karl! :clap2: What were you ill with? A cold? Wonder where you got that from then? :whistle:

I've got the 1:48 Kopro offering of this rather striking aircraft, and I'm now a little worried that it's just a scale up of this one... with all the gaps & sink marks just 50% larger! :unsure: At least I have a Neomega pit though ;)

Go Karl! :clap2: What were you ill with? A cold? Wonder where you got that from then? :whistle:

I've got the 1:48 Kopro offering of this rather striking aircraft, and I'm now a little worried that it's just a scale up of this one... with all the gaps & sink marks just 50% larger! :unsure: At least I have a Neomega pit though ;)

I would be interested in a reveiw of the box, Mike.

With pics...

Please.

;)

No, wasn't a cold... have been suffering with bad guts and stuff :fraidnot: Real uncomfortable and unable to sit at the PC or workbench for long :(

Yeah, I think the 48th offering is slightly better than this to be honest, although probably still a pig!

Karl.

Noro virus... it's been doing the rounds :puke::shit:

It looks (from memory) a bit better than its dinky cousin... but time will tell. It's actually calling to me to build it now I've seen yours (ooer!)... So many models, so little time! :crying:

Noro virus... it's been doing the rounds :puke::shit:

It looks (from memory) a bit better than its dinky cousin... but time will tell. It's actually calling to me to build it now I've seen yours (ooer!)... So many models, so little time! :crying:

No, thankfully it's not the Norovirus! Nothing of that type, just discomfort and gassy!

Go on :wicked: Start a build on it! After that Valiant it'll seem like a breeze!

Well, I was really up for spraying the camo today, and I started off fine with the first green... but half way through it my lamp base decided to give up the ghost and snap!! That made the lamp clock me on the head, and now I can't work as there's not enough light at the bench :( Pretty peed off at the moment now!!

Karl.