Trumpeter Seafury 1/48

cger

Hi all,

this is my first posting on this nice forum. I am currently building the Trumpeter Seafury in 1/48 scale. I plan to do it as

a Cuban natural metal bird.

The Trumpeter cockpit is too shallow and quite basic, I kept the side console and rebuilt the seat and back plate:

dscn4381.jpg

I kept the instrument panel as it will not be very visible anyway. The stick and gunsight are rebuilt with plastic bits.

Another picture of the seat with an epoxy cushion:

dscn4384.jpg

I plan to drop the flaps, so I built new flaps from plasticard:

dscn4379.jpg

Now a picture of the resin 1000lbs bombs leftover from the Flightpath detail set, and scratchbuilt bomb pylons:

dscn4385.jpg

A close up picture of a bomb, the texture is done with Mr Surfacer 1000 and articifial snow:

dscn4387.jpg

The wheelbay was detailed with plastic rod and fuse wire:

dscn4389.jpg

The legs get durits from copper wire, the tailwheel is separated from the fork and gets some photoetch from Part:

dscn4390.jpg

That is all for the moment,

best,

Christian.

Hi Christian - and welcome to Britmodeller, or Bienvenue a Britmodeller!

Looks like you sea fury is going to look very nice. It this is of any use - here's my build thread for the same model - if you are planning to tackle the scooped out cockpit sill shape on the model and other problems- I hope this proves of some use or inspiration!!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...amp;hl=sea+fury

Bon Chance

Jonners

Hi Jon,

many thanks for your kind comments. I looked at you nice build and will try to correct the kit problems in the cockpit area. I knew

about the pb behind the cockpit (the incorrect slope of the kit), but it seems there is more work here.

best,

Christian.

Here are a few more pictures:

the bombs are painted and weathered with pigments:

dscn4392.jpg

I noticed afterwards that there should be a red band around the bomb, I will add it later.

The wheel bay is painted yellow zincchromate:

dscn4395.jpg

The cockpit pieces are painted in dark grey, details are painted with Vallejo acrylics:

dscn4400.jpg

The cockpit tub: the seatbelts are made with lead foil, with photoetched buckles:

dscn4402.jpg

dscn4404.jpg

The next step will be to correct the shape of fuselage around the cockpit,

best,

Christian.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I post some new pictures:

First I cut away the flaps on the lower wing pieces and boxed the flap locations with plasticard:

dscn4440.jpg

dscn4441.jpg

I rebuilt the part behind the cockpit with plastic strips and epoxy putty:

dscn4443.jpg

The cockpit sides were also corrected with plastic strips:

dscn4444.jpg

The next step will be to assemble the outer and inner wings,

Christian.

many thanks for your kind comments! :rolleyes:

I tried to fit a thermoformed windscreen that was left from an old Flightpath set, but after fitting it I found it was too high,

so I have ordered a Squadron replacement.

In the mean time, I added red bands to the bombs and some signs with a fine brush,

supposed to represent marks done with chalk:

dscn4455.jpg

The Trumpeter wheels were badly molded on my sample, so I replaced them with wheels from Hobbycraft:

dscn4457.jpg

The wheel doors were painted with Alclad:

dscn4460.jpg

Finally I kept the Trumpeter spinner, painted yellow with Gunze acrylics. The blades are undercoated with Alcad aluminium and weathered with pigments:

dscn4461.jpg

I will have to stop the build, waiting for my windscreen to arrive :confused:

best,

Christian.

Hi Perry,

I used some tricks I learned from armor guys:

the texture on the bombs was done by brushing a quite heavy coat of flat varnish, covered with baking soda.

Remove the excess baking soda with a stiff brush until the texture is correct.

I then airbrushed an undercoat of rust color (Tamiya red brown), then stippled the bombs with liquid mask using a piece

of foam. Next the top colors are applied, removing the liquid mask you get nice rust spots.

To get color variation, some rust spots are painted with various orange rust shades.

Finally I applied washes of oil paints and pigments (both as a wash and dry).

best,

Christian.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

having finally received a Squadron canopy, I was able to resume the build of my Seafury.

Here are a few pictures:

the airframe is painted with various Alclad shades:

dscn4530.jpg

The Cuban markings were designed on a PC with Inkscape (a nice free vector drawing software) and printed on decal paper with a inkjet printer:

dscn4532.jpg

The weathering was done with pastel washes (pastel powder thinned in enamel thinner). I find it gives a better dusty aspect than washes with oil paint.

dscn4533.jpg

It remains to glue all the various small bits,

hope you enjoy it,

Christian.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I at last managed to finish my Seafury started long time ago... Here are some pictures I took yesterday:

dscn4694.jpg

dscn4697.jpg

dscn4699.jpg

dscn4702.jpg

dscn4700.jpg

dscn4703.jpg

I hope you will like it,

best,

Christian.