1/700 HMS Dreadnought, Combrig, resin

jRatz

Hi,

Well, here we go -- the initial post to hold my place.

I'll be doing the Combrig 1/700 kit of HMS Dreadnought -- a fitting subject in a Naval GB. I have some WEM 1/700 WW1 photoetch to play with also.

drn-00_boxart-etc_s.jpg

The specs for this GB define the starting period as WW1. When I first looked at this kit I thought it was in the "as laid down" configuration of 1906 and I planned to update to mid-1915 configuration. As I did the detailed research I found the 1915 configuration to be a lot of work and that the kit was really the 1910 configuration. At that point I decided an update to her 1914 config which she carried into early 1915 would be much more doable and would represent her in an active period. Here is a sketch of the mods to be made.

drn-01_mods-to-make_s.jpg

I'll be holding work until after the 4th and then proceed slowly from there; I've got a few things to get off the bench and January is going to be a bit hectic around home anyway. Oh yes, I have to make some 1/700 water to display it in before I get too far along ...

Comments and critique are always welcome !!!

I should note that I did wash the parts before the 4th -- hope that doesn't count against me :rolleyes:

Everyhting seems to be in good shape except a lot of the 12pdr barrels are loose and I'm not sure the full complement made it ... looks like I'll have to improvise.

One reason to keep to an early config is I want to retain the anti-torpedo booms for character.

Yes, 1/700 PE is tiny, but one reason I picked up a few 1/700 kits (this will be my 1st actual build) is that I have been so impressed with those I see at shows -- at this scale flat PE looks fine.

Another area that will be difficult is the main antenna wire which is quite complex -- I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. Fortunately I can wait until the end.

Just a quick update.

My 1st effort at 1/700 water turned out terrible, effort #2 has been started.

That said, I no longer need to hold off building as I now have a hull shape to use in the water project.

So something should start to happen.

• 3 months later...

I apologize for not finishing my entry -- this has not been a good year with me being ill twice, the last time culminating in a 9-day stay in hospital, and my father-in-law passing. I have had too little bench time to give this the attention it needs and deserves.

John