RAF Merlins

merlin101

Guest Drewe
I see the RAF are getting 6 second hand EH101's curtisy of Denmark!

http://www.agustawestland.com/communicatio...309&yy=2007

Also the Chinook MK3's will be modified to HC2 standard & put into use at last!

Of far more interest is the news that they will have BERP IV blades. First aircraft to have them. Cheaper, fewer parts, easier to make and giving some 1.5 tons extra lift. The Merlin deal has been on/off for months, the BERP IV is fantastic news!

• 1 month later...

AFAIK the deal has not been closed yet.

To be honest I'd rather our EH101s stayed here as this deal will mean that we are not able to send our EH101s abroad for another 3-4 years. Also, I do not have pictures of all the Danish EH101s yet. ;)

Regards,

AFAIK the deal has not been closed yet.

To be honest I'd rather our EH101s stayed here as this deal will mean that we are not able to send our EH101s abroad for another 3-4 years. Also, I do not have pictures of all the Danish EH101s yet. ;)

Regards,

Jens

You need to be quick if you want the pictures, those 6 are on their way to the RAF!! :whistle: I understood we were borrowing some of your crews to go with the helos!

Aren't the ones the RAF are getting the undelivered Utility ones rather than the SAR ones?

Dave

Yes that is correct. There are some significant differences between the RAF Mk3s and the Danish Mk3as. But the RAF is getting the utility variant from the Danes not the SAR variant.

All Danish EH101s have been delivered. However, I believe some have been returned to EHI for retrofitting/modification.

Also, all Danish EH101s are basically identical. However, the role equipment is not the same, but this can be transferred from one airframe to another (not within minutes though).

Roland, borrowing our crews will be a good idea from my point of view. That way the can stay current on the EH101 and perhaps even gain some experiences so that we will have the TTT version operational sooner after delivery of the six new airframes. I know most of the pilots, and I know they are eager to become operational.

Unfortunately I am stationed elsewhere at the moment so I don't get to see the EH101s at Karup AB so often - and only some of them had been delivered by the time I left. Hopefully the EH101s will still be there when I return in the not too far future. :)

Regards,

• 1 month later...

As some of you probably know M-509 and M-511 were transferred to the RAF last week. Another two will follow next week, and the last two will end the transfer in late July.

Regards,