Seafire 47 Tail & Rudder

regulus

The following were taken of VP441 while it was being restored at Ezell Aviation. There had been some debate on another forum about the rudder of all Spitfires, including the Seafires and Seafire 47 as always being fabric. This is definitely not the case with the FR.47. The entire airframe was stripped of paint, as most of the magnesium rivets had begin to deteriorate and had to be replaced. There were some traces of the original primer here and there.

Seafire47002.jpg

This next photo shows the double segmented rudder trim, fixed with respect to the upper/lower tab elements.

Seafire47001.jpg

Interesting to find a tiny segment of wood at the top of the tail fin at the interface between the rudder balance and top of tail.

Seafire47004.jpg

This last one shows the restored hook and tail bottom segment.

Seafire47003.jpg

More to follow as the photos get scanned!

Lee

The furore is, probably, my fault, since Vickers' records state, quite categorically, that the Seafires (all of them) had fabric-covered rudders, and there are several photos, where this can be seen, even on 47s. Acknowledging that photographs don't lie, I was intrigued by the piece of wood, at the top of the fin, which resembles the same phenomenon, on Spitfire 21s. The Seafire 47 had a deep rudder horn, which was normal for contra-prop Spitfires, in fact there were mods, to this end. However, your rudder has a shallow horn, and there are a couple of other anomalies.

The hook housing appears to be made up of several pieces (just as with the Seafang,) and I don't see a hold-back, which was standard for the 47. I have a strong suspicion that your Seafire has, at some stage, been given a Seafang rudder/hook assembly, possibly because the Seafang's rudder was, apparently, metal-covered, and the rudder did have a shallower horn than the 47. Fabric covering must be replaced, at regular intervals; a metal rudder wouldn't need such attention.

This site being the way it is, I trust that my idea won't bring forth howls of indignation (it is only an idea, after all.)

Edgar