Revell Wellington

dylan the rabbit

Just one thing to beware of, vis-a-vis the Matchbox boxing. The mould seems to have suffered damage at some time and some of the lovely geodesic detail above one of the wings has been lost. Not a lot but you do notice it.

John

This is one I built a few years ago

142535679.jpg

No. 304 (Polish) Squadron, RAF Coastal Command.

As I recall, it has a good outline but is a bit basic in detail, nothing that can't be overcome :smartass:

I've built the Matchbox version twice over the years. The main things to beware of are the trenchline engraving, fortunately limited to the tail surfaces and around the engine, and the long pointy spinners. I filled in the trenches, and replaced the spinners with spares from a Beaufighter.

I believe that the Revell rebox partly avoids the problem spinners by offering an option with no spinners at all.

As usual with Matchbox kits, the clear parts have very heavy raised detail, which makes masking a lot easier.

My two kits comprised a very early original Matchbox issue, and a later mid-1990's boxing after they were taken over by Revell but still badged as Matchbox. There were no differences in the moulding quality, but I can't comment on the more recent Revell badged product.

Whilst no-one can pretend its up to the standard of the more recent MPM kits, it looks right, and its an enjoyable build. Which is what the hobby is about, innit?

I've built the Matchbox version twice over the years. The main things to beware of are the trenchline engraving, fortunately limited to the tail surfaces and around the engine, and the long pointy spinners. I filled in the trenches, and replaced the spinners with spares from a Beaufighter.

I believe that the Revell rebox partly avoids the problem spinners by offering an option with no spinners at all.

As usual with Matchbox kits, the clear parts have very heavy raised detail, which makes masking a lot easier.

My two kits comprised a very early original Matchbox issue, and a later mid-1990's boxing after they were taken over by Revell but still badged as Matchbox. There were no differences in the moulding quality, but I can't comment on the more recent Revell badged product.

Whilst no-one can pretend its up to the standard of the more recent MPM kits, it looks right, and its an enjoyable build. Which is what the hobby is about, innit?

It's a damned sight easier to build than the MPM kits, at least than MkI!

I think the upper wing damage may only affect the "Blue Box" Revell releases, I certainly don't recall seeing it on ant Matchbox branded kits. It's a pity but not fatal.

John

Saw one of these in my local hobby store (1/72nd, and that's tha plane, not the store)...

It's the mk x/xiv.

Anyone got any opinions on the kit? Is it a :shit: or a :D

Cheers,

Nick

Some of the Wellington XIVs carried cooling fans so check afore ye build. Aeroclub used produce them

Ken