Typhoon nearly bites the biggy.......

Guest Cop

30-40 feet up, but fairly scary... bet the rear-seater had his hand on the yellow stripey handle! :analintruder:

Only the agility of that aircraft- plus its thrust, saved it. by holding the nose way up past a normal attitude, he must have dumped forward (at that time downward)component by airbraking, and with the power just rode out on a big column of thrust

Lucky - they only hung me up the right way last week- or something like that...

Edited by Mentalguru

That was at last years RIAT I think. Apparently he was invited up to the tower for a cosy chat with the display flight safety officer. Something along the lines of entry speed, HEIGHT YOU DICK 'EAD! I would think. You can see that something is amiss when the a/c pulls through from inverted, the rate of descent looks distinctly to be 'holy poo-poo'. Maybe he overloaded the a/c during the pull through and lost lift, but it still seems the initial roll was at the wrong altitude. Incorrect pressure setting on the jolly old altimeter?

peebeep

Guest Drewe

Sqdn Ldr Matt Elliot was the pilot, that was the Friday practice at RIAT 2006. Yes, words were had, but the most telling thing is that Sqdn Ldr Elliot then proceeded to fly the display over the following two days, so it was hardly a "go to your room and no supper" type chat. And what a display it was!

Still reckon the best RAF display of the last few years was Karl Zarecki and his wondrous Wokka!

Edited by Drewe

I saw this incident from the Park and View on the Friday and it was 2005. Heard on the radio Stop Stop Stop or something like that he then proceeded to height to burn some gas.

It was the closest I have come to seeing an aircraft go in (apart from the Russians at RIAT that actually did !) I honestly thought the next thing I was going to see was an ejection but for the power of those engines it would have been. A ground crew friend was at the dispersal with the Typhoon ground crew chatting he phoned to ask me if it was a close as they suspected as he had disappeared behind the grandstands they too thought the next thing would have been an ejection.

The whole park and view area went momentarily silent. When he taxied past the PnV he never looked at the crowd just busied himself in the cockpit probably cleaning away the brown adrenaline !. To his credit within probably an hour he was back out doing a revised display having taken out the manoeuvre that got him into trouble.

I have a couple of other videos of the incident on my website here: Typhoon Videos

Cheers

Dave

Guest Drewe
'Twas 2005, most definitely wasn't last year.

Jesus, you're right! Time is whipping by in my thirties!