1/72 Hasegawa B-26B Marauder

Built this last year OOB with Zotz decals. Loved this build, a real gem of a kit from Hasegawa and it went together very nicely. My first (sensible) attempt at adding battle damage. These bombers also weathered very quickly as many were painted without primer in the rush to get them over Europe apparently. The damage was supposed to be a flack burst which peppered the left wing all the way through rupturing the outer fuel tank, too much to self seal properly. Then a couple of lone cannon shots from a roving fighter one of which damaged the oil tank situated behind the left engine, leading to the contents draining, causing the engine to be shut down and the prop feathered.

Have just finished buiding a decent photo booth in my workshop, and these are the first pics I've taken in it. Realised that my cameras sensor needed a clean too late, but overall I'm happy with the results. Early days yet. If these pics are too large and take too long to load, please let me know as I've increased the file sizes in an effort to improve sharpness and quality.

marauder0001.jpg

marauder0002.jpg

marauder0004.jpg

marauder0005.jpg

marauder0006.jpg

marauder0011.jpg

marauder0010.jpg

marauder0009.jpg

The model could have done with a better dusting off. The close up shots really pick it up, but it was covered in sawdust an hour earlier as I was cutting wood for the booth frame!

The nose transparency was slightly too narrow, and I had to do a fair amount of blending and sanding before it fitted OK. I also tried silver printers ink mixed with some raw umber oilpaint as described in some of the Verlinden literature, and it brush paints beautifully-just don't try washing it with water, as it will come off as I discovered! I may use it again but mix some varnish in with it to try fixing it.

Also, my dodgy old Jessops tripod bloomin' well broke just as I was finishing up, so that'll be more flaming expense, though I'll get a decent one next time.

Edited by turnerdad
  • Like 6

That's gorgeous mate, really superb :thumbsup:

Looks a quality kit, makes me wish I hadn't been so tight and bought the crappy Revell kit instead :shithappens:

:goodjob:

Thanks for the kind comments. Really pleased with the pics, definitely worth the effort.

Blooody hell, that a bit nice, love the oil staining! How did you get that effect?

For the oil staining I mixed up some Tamiya flat earth (XF-52) and X-1, gloss black and brush painted it on.

Lovely weathering, battle damage and painti chipping :thumbsup:

Is the paint chipping careful application of silver with brush?

Ray :cheers:

Yes, brush painted silver printers ink with some Artisan water soluble raw umber. It will come off with water though, so it could do with some varnish mixed in to seal it.

Nice, I like it a lot :D

This silver printers ink........I see it mentioned a lot in various publucations, but where on earth do you get it from? And why is it better than silver paint?

Jen.

Hey Jen,

The ink is Windsor and Newton, available from Hobbycraft stores. Comes in a small glass jar, bit like the old squat liquid poly jars. The jar is then enclosed in a small square paper box. I read about it so I thought I'd try it. I have to say it brush paints beautifully, and is grain free, very little brush stroke marking if you know what I mean. Silver chipping is another of these weathering processes I'm often in 2 minds about. I've seen some great builds where the silver is very dark and subdued, an effect I like alot but looking at predominantly B+W photos, especially of Marauders and B-17s it always seems to really stand out, whether the black and white film exaggerates it I don't know. I also use Karisma pencils which are more subdued (and alclad + maskol).

Again, thanks for kind comments all, really is a lovely kit, may do the later model sometime.

By the way, could anyone tell me whether the pics took ages to download etc, as I sized them up from my usual 800x600 (or whatever it was), and have used a better quality setting on my camera. Was a little concerned that the files would be too big and cumbersome, but thought I'd try it out on you lot anyway!

Cheers