A year in modelling

general melchett

Hi all , . Like most of you it's been a quiet year model wise , work has got in the way again , as it tends to, we are flat out this time of year leaving very little time for hobbies sadly. Anyway here are the ones I managed to start and finish, hopefully next year I will have more time for modelling, thanks for all your kind comments throughout the year ,very much appreciated folks, :thumbsup2:

Thanks for looking, actually it looks quite a lot now it's all laid out like this, just didn't seem to spend that much time actually modelling !!! :shrug:

Andy.....

Airfix 1/48th Lightning F3 , 111 squadron

P1010157Medium.jpg

P1010158Medium.jpg

EE P42 scratchbuild,

P1010160Medium.jpg

P1010159Medium.jpg

Academy 1/48th CF-100 Cannuck,

P1010161Medium.jpg

Monogram 1/48th MDD CF-101B Voodoo,

P1010162Medium.jpg

P1010164Medium.jpg

KP 1/48th SU-7B fitter,

P1010166Medium.jpg

Nitto TU-144 prototype,

P1010193Medium.jpg

Revell Boeing 2707 SST,

P1010189Medium.jpg

Revell Boeing 2707 as B-72 Dark Star,

P1010184Medium.jpg

BAC Rapier B1 ( Nuclear armed Concorde),

P1010186Medium.jpg

Frog Victor B1,

P1010183Medium.jpg

Matchbox Victor B2R,

P1000800LargeLarge.jpg

Airfix Vulcan B2 Blue Steel,

P1010179Medium.jpg

Magna Short Sperrin,

P1010172Medium.jpg

Hawk/Testors Swift F4,

P1010191Medium.jpg

Airfix Bloodhound MK1,

P1010175Medium.jpg

ABC war robot,

P1010167Medium.jpg

P1010168Medium.jpg

Edited by general melchett

Thanks Mish , do me best, Houston I try to be a bit different as I'm not really into the 'grey jets' thing,( Viggen excepted :hobbyhorse: ) , might even do some planes with 'spinny' things on the front , or heaven forbid two wings next year.... :analintruder::pilot: ,

Tony thanks, think a few of the things I have planned for next year might interest you ,

Cheers everyone, :speak_cool:

Andy

I love the eclectic diversity of your year's output Andy - a man after my own heart ^_^ That ABC Warrior's neat - where's that from, and is it expensive/big/good to build?

Thanks Mike , yep I love the more unusual stuff , next year I've got some really bizzare stuff planned ( all legal you understand!!).

The ABC is actually a 1/9th scale vinyl recast from Thailand based on the horribly expensive kit from Tsukuda Hobby, it's about 14 inches high and needs packing out with plaster to stop it collapsing over time. Dead easy to build and fun to super-detail. Actually the detail for a recast is very good , no air bubbles/ holes anywhere.This was probably my favorite build of the year as I find these kits a lot more fun than the aircraft, ( got an anime Joker as well from the same guy , can't wait to get stuck in :jump_fire:).

Have a look on Ebay under vinyl kits , he does a huge range.

Andy

link here Mike.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ABC-WAR-ROBOT-1-9-SC...tem260046544629

Thanks folks , I really appreciate your comments, gives me the impetus to pull my finger out next year.. :thumbsup2:

Andy

Great stuff Andy, your choice of subject is superb :thumbsup:

Hard to pick a favourite, but I keep going back to look at the Fitter. You've done a smashing job on a much neglected subject :D

Looking forward to seeing what weird and wonderful subjects 'fly' off your bench next year :)

Thanks Ratch, ;)

Shaun , thanks also , yep I like the Fitter as well , got a 1/48th SU-22 M4 in the stash somewhere might have a go at that next year, a lot of big Soviet stuff , mostly Amodel monsters and scratchbuilt 'what-ifs' like the P 42 will be the order of the day, mostly heavy , heavy metal....... :wicked:

Andy

Edited by general melchett

My dear General Bonke............ <cough> Melchett,

Yet again you have proven that no model is unable to be built to a very high standard, been a joy to watch you work and have a good laugh.

Thanks for sharing Andy, loved every minute :thumbsup2:

Bexy von Nutcase

Thanks Bexy ,

My dear General Bonke.
...... steady now , bless ya ,the more unbuildable, the more I'll have a crack at it, ( British don't you know... :deadhorse: , we will never surrender as Mr C once said!!).

Thanks for your kind words it's been a blast....plenty more to come!!

Cheers Keith , yep the old Voodoo is one strange bird , just wish someone would do a 1/48th RF-101C coz I really like that , ( wouldn't be at all surprised to see Trumpeter do it at some point, 1/32nd would be nice too :yahoo: ),

Got a Monogram F-106 nearly done , not quite enough year left sadly.....

Andy

An eclectic mix if ever I saw one....love the Lightning - I presume that and the P42 are done in alclad?

Also liked the B2707s - I remember seeing that kit, along with the Monogram B-52 in 1/72 in my local (proper) Model shop over 30 years ago and being awestruck - never saw one built before though - nice work. :thumbsup:

Edited by timbo33

Thanks Timbo, the Lightning was done in SnJ and polished to varying degrees with their aluminium powder , a messy buit very effective product,only problem is you can't seal the finish as it will lose it's real metal look , so it has to be protected as best you can, finger prints are a disaster !!, the P42 was indeed done in Alclad , I managed to use every one of their products bar chrome on it , ( just to see how they would come out really!!).Very easy to use and tough as old boots.

Like you the original Boeing SST really stuck in my imagination as a young kid after I saw it in a model shop in London way back in 1968, wanted one ever since , the goldy/ yellow and white one is an original 1968 issue got off Ebay for about 20 quid and decked out with a Drawdecal set and the other a recent Revell re issue, I 've got 6 more in the stash waiting their turn .Had the '52 up until a few years ago , didn't survive a house move unfortunately as it was a bit of a beaut... :crying:

Andy

Well General, you already know what I think of most of your builds this year (& I how really, really covet that P42 :wub: ) , but it's the first time I've seen your Frightning & I have to say that it has immediately become one of my favourites! It's a pleasant change to see a more 'plain jane' line machine rather than the more usually modelled flashy jets, & when it's built & finished as well as that, then it's close to modelling perfection in my book!

Really nice selection of builds, & like Dave said your 16 sure beats my 4 too!

Looking forward to next years output from the Asylum production line!!!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

Thanks Keef, appreciate it , yep the Lightning was modelled on one that had significant memories for me when in 1973 I was asked to go down to Wattisham as part of our ATC regional aircraft recognition team and compete against the resident F3 pilots , we held our end up and actually beat them which led to a lot of arguing and claims of cheating and cries of 'fix', particularly as one of them managed to misidentify a TU 95 Bear for a B47 !!!!!...all good humoured of course and great fun. We were then allowed to clamber all over XR711 which promptly gave us a fantastically unforgetable solo display, demonstrating in no uncertain way why the Lightning was the finest interceptor of it's day.

Sadly the aircraft crashed on take off shortly afterwards due to engine problems, the usual cause of the loss of a 'frightning', ( nothing to do with us I might add!!) , the pilot literally walked away but she was declared cat 5!!

Have some interesting stuff planned for next year , so keep watching the skies... :jump_fire:

Andy

Andy, i don't know where to start.

i'm not sure what impresses me more- The quantity of output, the quality of construction, the choice of subject matter, or the sheer bravery for building such LARGE fricking models.

i particularly liked the Vulcan with Blue Steel and the Victor BR Mk.2.

i also have pleasant memories of the Being 2707 programme. Like a XB-70, a very interesting "What-If" . i also realize there is a crapload of filling, filing, and sanding to make that kit look good. What a ginormous plane that would have been....

Certifiably Insane? Well, the difference between brilliance and insanity is defined only by success.

All the Best. Good luck with the F-106. Have one of those on me bench as well.

david

Thank you David , very decent of you to say so , hope you'll like what's lined up on the workbench at the moment,........... three Amodel monsters , Myasischev M50 'Bounder' , VMT 'atlant' with Buran as payload and 3M 'Bison' , as well as a couple of Trumpeter TU-16's, Monogram 1/48th Hustler , MPM HE-177, Trumpy SU-15, to mention only a few, ...I think you get the idea :bangin: , only problem now is going to be space , running out very quickly :whistle: .....Yep the SST is a bit of a pig but doesn't take too much to bash into shape , I always think if you really like the subject you will do what's required. Must admit I only ever do models of planes I REALLY like...

Thanks again for your support, plenty more to come (work permitting),

Andy

Stunning builds. Reckon it's been a good year for you, though I know what you mean about work getting in the way! I only managed 3 complete builds in an amateur capacity, though about 70 professionally! Fav has to be the Sperrin (and Matchbox Victor), though they're all fab.