Tamiya Lancaster 1/48 scale Dam Buster

Well the kit is out of production and almost as old as me, Sprue's are dated 1975 but it's the only 1/48 Lanc out there.

148_Lanc1.jpg

The kit is showing it's age with raised panel lines but when you think it's over 30 years old It must have made a huge stir in the modelling world when it was released.

148_Lanc2.jpg

OK it's a commission and it is to be built out of the box and be in 617sqn "G" for Gorge markings.

More to follow but Photobucket has given up on me :angrysoapbox.sml:

Nice one Phil, I have made a couple of these but watch out for the nacelles they are a bad fit and if you had time and a bit more cash to splash these should be replaced with the Belcher Bits engines but as it's OOB ah well. The other thing is the W/Op's window is too near the cockpit it should be a bit further back over the leading edge and the wheels should be smooth but you may already know all of this, anyway it's still a great build and a great looking Lanc at the end.

Graham.

Well the kit is out of production and almost as old as me, Sprue's are dated 1975 but it's the only 1/48 Lanc out there.

OK it's a commission and it is to be built out of the box and be in 617sqn "G" for Gorge markings.

Ok- Lets run a sweepstake on how long it is going to take Phil to finish this from time of his post- I recon 5 days 14 hours...

Ok- Lets run a sweepstake on how long it is going to take Phil to finish this from time of his post- I recon 5 days 14 hours...

I'll see your 5 days 14 and raise you 4 20.

Nice one Phil, I have made a couple of these but watch out for the nacelles they are a bad fit and if you had time and a bit more cash to splash these should be replaced with the Belcher Bits engines but as it's OOB ah well. The other thing is the W/Op's window is too near the cockpit it should be a bit further back over the leading edge and the wheels should be smooth but you may already know all of this, anyway it's still a great build and a great looking Lanc at the end.

Graham.

Ah the old window problem, Well I have made the decision to leave it where it is, the cost in time would be better spent on other areas of the build. :rolleyes:

You may also need the larger bomb aimers nose blister, give me a shout if you need one.

B)

Yes please Neil do you have a pic of it and how much :thumbsup:

I'll see your 5 days 14 and raise you 4 20.

God don't start that or some one will say 3 days odd and I'll spent 22 hours a day on it just to beat it :evil_laugh:

Well a hard day in the office but it's coming along nicely

Cockpit painted

148_Lanc3.jpg

Test fit the wings

148_Lanc4.jpg

Seams taken care of and re scribed or is that re raised lined I think :wacko:

148_Lanc5.jpg

The wings and engines tomorrow and get the turrets dune.

I thank you for your time at looking........................... :banghead:

Jeesus- hes nearly bloody finished it already... :gobsmacked: Ok- lets give him one of those awful giant vacform things that people always buy at the nationals- or a 1/32 C-5 Galaxy made out of wet cardboard

Edited by Mentalguru

We can always give him a sanger vac form 1.48 B-52! that will sort the men from the boys.

Looking forward to seeing this lanc built phil!

Julien

Well a hard day in the office but it's coming along nicely

Cockpit painted

148_Lanc3.jpg

Test fit the wings

148_Lanc4.jpg

Seams taken care of and re scribed or is that re raised lined I think :wacko:

148_Lanc5.jpg

The wings and engines tomorrow and get the turrets dune.

I thank you for your time at looking........................... :banghead:

Newbie question warning........how do you re-raise old panel lines?

Voodoo ;)

I think you run a knife blade along the line where you want the panel line, which causes a burr that similates the panel line you lost. Allegedly... :unsure:

Personally I sand the buggers all off and rescribe, even if it is a Lanc ;)

The traditional method to replace a raised panel line is using stretched sprue and CA glue ...allegedly... :o

Personally I sand the buggers all off and rescribe, even if it is a Lanc ;)

The traditional method to replace a raised panel line is using stretched sprue and CA glue ...allegedly... :o

Excellent build article by Randy Lutz in Scale Aircraft Modeller some time ago shows how he did his rescribing on a Tamiya Lanc called Piccadilly Princess, thoroughly recommended read !! :spudniksmurf:

I just use a new blade to make new raised panel lines, works a treat and very hard to tell the difference ;)

I have a idea for the weathering that I haven't used in a long time that requires the raised lines.

As for The traditional method to replace a raised panel line is using stretched sprue and CA glue I think someone was having a laugh with that one.

I remember a guy on ebay saying he used marmite for panel lines :analintruder:

Anyway I'm fighting with the engines :deadhorse: who said Tamiya kit fall together :hanging:

OK engines on.

I wont lie they were a complete sod to fit and yes in hind site it would be better to have gone with the Belcher Bits replacements but there done now.

148_Lanc6.jpg

Well that's the major work done, all the clear parts next and lots of masking