Tamiya Lancaster 1/48 scale Dam Buster

Anyway I'm fighting with the engines :deadhorse: who said Tamiya kit fall together :hanging:

Dunno but I'd bet they ain't tried to build the bloody 48th SHAR either :badmood:

Jeeez- Im going to print off all the photos- then staple them together, and then flick through them really quickly to see how to build a Tamiya Lancaster in .782 seconds..

Why bother mate, it's happening on this thread as it is! :lol:

Sorry for the lack of updates but Photo bucket is playing up :wall:

Right where were we, oh yeah...................

A coat of primer

148_Lanc8.jpg

Then the painting , I used Xtracrylix Dark Green and Dark Earth lightened with a few drops of white over flat black

148_Lanc9.jpg

148_Lanc10.jpg

Next a fare bit of dry brushing with a nix of Tamiya flat aluminium and Gray. A before and after shot.

148_Lanc11.jpg

A before

148_Lanc12.jpg

and after shot

148_Lanc13.jpg

148_Lanc14.jpg

And all the dry bushing done

148_Lanc15.jpg

More to follow in a few minutes, I just got to give photo bucket a kick :deadhorse:

Right that's the youngest to bed......

OK walk ways have to be painted on as there is no decals

148_Lanc16.jpg

and then on with the wing decals

148_Lanc17.jpg

I couldn't resist putting it together for a look

148_Lanc18.jpg

Next up is a few bits from Niel at Paragon Designs, the truly lovely smooth wheels and the bigger bomb aimer's blister

148_Lanc19.jpg

You can see how much better Neils are compared with the Tamiya original

148_Lanc20.jpg

And here thous lovely wheels painted up

148_Lanc21.jpg

Here's the parts all ready for fitting, I'm not to sure about the bombs colour, I've gone for the aluminium but if ant one knows deferent please shout as I can change it now.

I'm not sure how old the decals are but there proving to be a night mare to settle down, as seen here after a hour of looking fine. So I have cut then and left then swimming in mico sol.

148_Lanc22.jpg

Then it's on to final Assembly and weathering.

Your like a robot Mr F - don't know how you do it, I really dont.

Do you have any built kits in your own collection? What's your subject interest?

Ta ta

Thank you Mr West, The only model I have is the 1/72 Phantom I did for the cold war group build, :crying: Every other I have sold :weep:

As for my interest I'm a Phantom phanatic but do have soft spots for Harriers, Tornados, Jaguar's and Herc's too.

Hi Phil it looks stunning, I think the bomb was dark green and a few were red primer. I will have to check but there was an article in SAM a few years back and it listed the bomb colour on each aircraft, all I have to do now is find it

Graham.

Hi Phil it looks stunning, I think the bomb was dark green and a few were red primer. I will have to check but there was an article in SAM a few years back and it listed the bomb colour on each aircraft, all I have to do now is find it

Graham.

Thanks Graham, your a star :)

Blimey Phil,

you're just JATO boosted***, can't be anything else !

You're doing justice to a nice plane with a not-so-nice kit ....

Love it,

Stef (#6)

*** disclaimer : the author doesn't make any speculation about JATO boosters fixture location ! :analintruder:

Well here the final parts to go on, the crew

148_Lanc24.jpg

And the bomb

148_Lanc25.jpg

Here's the completed aircraft minus it's pitot tube that was still wet.

Didn't no how dirty they were, but I'm guessing they would have been very well looked after in the run up to the raid. So I've kept the weathering to a minimum.

Just a few shot off the bench, I'll have to set up a back drop and lighting for this one as it's a bit big.

148_Lanc26.jpg

148_Lanc31.jpg

148_Lanc29.jpg

148_Lanc28.jpg

148_Lanc32.jpg

148_Lanc27.jpg

148_Lanc30.jpg

I'll get the photo done in the next few days

Happy Modelling

Phil

July 3rd to July 9th - that is so quick - and of course the quality is so good - all I have done in that time is fix one the control wires onto my Tiger Moth! About a couple of minutes - Phil what do you take to increase your stamina please.

David

PS Shows what a mature bunch we are- no one has offered a comment like -"...isn't that port roundel 2mm too far to the right - the eighth rivet in the third panel from the left should be just to the left fo the centre of the red disc which actualy looks a shade too small - the size was increased at 09.46 hours on the 14th May 1943.... "

PS Shows what a mature bunch we are- no one has offered a comment like -"...isn't that port roundel 2mm too far to the right - the eighth rivet in the third panel from the left should be just to the left fo the centre of the red disc which actualy looks a shade too small - the size was increased at 09.46 hours on the 14th May 1943.... "

B*gg*r...... He just stole my response !

Phil, a joy to share the ride with you as ever..... Great build, sir. So, a question. How do you keep the enthusiasm and quality high if you REALLY don't enjoy the subject you are commissioned to build. I'm asking because a thousand or so years back, I was paid to build a Tamiya 1:35 88mm gun. Great kit, but I lost enthusiasm a week into the build; result of course was I did a less than good job... just wondering how you maintain the standard ???

Ian

B*gg*r...... He just stole my response !

Phil, a joy to share the ride with you as ever..... Great build, sir. So, a question. How do you keep the enthusiasm and quality high if you REALLY don't enjoy the subject you are commissioned to build. I'm asking because a thousand or so years back, I was paid to build a Tamiya 1:35 88mm gun. Great kit, but I lost enthusiasm a week into the build; result of course was I did a less than good job... just wondering how you maintain the standard ???

Ian

Thanks Guys,

Keeping the enthusiasm........Well I really enjoy the work first off, any type of aircraft from WWII to present is my real area and I'm happy to build anything in that time frame.

I can't build WWI aircraft to save my life, so hat's off to all of you who do. :worthy:

Also this is my Job, so if the standard slipped I would have no work. As it is 98% of all my work are repeat costumers so I have to keep them happy.

If I was asked to build something I didn't like then I would pass, I'm very lucky to be able to do that now

I always say, if you enjoy what you do it shows, so I hope it shows in my models because I love doing them.

The other thing is I'm passionate about the hobby and if I can get the kids into the hobby or help a modeller out then I will.

That makes a lot of sense Phil - yes if you don't like your job life is a real pain - thankfully I did - nothing to do with modelling - something to do with commitment as well I guess - OK so now I know my problem - I am not under the cosh to get something built because I have lots of time - no, not correct -because I am now trying to do lots of other things that I did not attempt when working - so let us see how it goes - the HP 0/400 it is for the WWI GB - with updates. Ah perchance to dream.......

Hi Phil,

I like the build, I have nothing against the build, but..... I think the demarcation between the upper and lower surface camouflage is a little bit too low, it should be just below the level of the cockpit sill. And I'm not sure about the bomb aimers blister, it looks just a tad too large, still, who am I to comment, the only Lanc I ever managed to finish was the Airfix original and that was when it first came out - shows how old I am.

Tom

Edited by tompot