Welsh Models 737 a320 in 1/72

richellis

I've got a 737-500 in Braathens markings that I've had in the stash for a long time now, purely through not being ready/in frame of mind to build it. I've always viewed it as being a long term detailed project with a lot of scratchbuilding and the kit really just being a base for this.

What I've got is a vac-form fuselage that is fairly thick and sturdy plastic. All the tail surfaces are in resin, wings in resin that are split just outboard of the pylon giving you an inner section and an outer section. The inner sections join in the middle and the fuselage sits on top of these (similar to the way the real thing is built up in the factory). The engines are in resin as well, split into a forward section and an aft section with the pylon moulded between the wing and engine sections. The cockpit is a resin section with white metal seats, columns and the gear is in white metal.

Some of the panel lines on the wings are incorrect, and some are not there at all (I have access to both the 737 and A320 through work, so picked up on this straight away), all the flap track fairings are integrally moulded and the join between the inner and outer sections will probably require a bit of work to keep nice and clean. The white metal castings will need a fair bit of tidying up but should be fine if care is taken. Only one set of markings is supplied but I dare say someone out there could help in producing alternate schemes if reqd. There are no windows cut out on the vac fuselages obviously, but they are marked up. there's also bulkheads for strengthening the fuselage on the vac-form sheets.

I'd love to be able to afford to purchase one of the A320's as well to go with my 737 but they're just a tad out of my price range these days.

My kit is buried up in the loft but I could try and dig it out for some pic's if you are desparate to see it.

Feel free to ask any further questions, or PM me if I can help anymore with pic's or info. I'm sure they will build into nice kits and as far as I'm aware are the only way to go for 1/72 kits of the 737 or A320.

Rgds,

Eng

I have the 737 BBJ kit.

It is one of the early releases, I beleive the wing root and wings are moulded differently in later versions.

You get a vacformed fuselage in 4 pieces, resin wings, engines, stabs and cockpit. The landing gear is done in white metal. Recessed detail on the wings is very fine. Some antennas are provided. The welsh vacformed parts are the nicest I have seen from any manufacturer. No interior cabin detail is suppiled. A vacform windscreen is also supplied, if you want to open up the cabin windows you need to drill them out and fill them with either clear card or clear glue (not supplied in the kit). Instructions are limited to a 3 view diagram and a written sheet.

Ray :cheers:

Here is a shot I found on the Welsh website sometime ago but I can't find it now. I had a copy on my HD.

FirstLook-WedgetailKit.jpg

It shows parts for the Welsh 737-700BBJ/Wedgetail kit, it gives you an idea of the parts for the -700 BBJ kit. I note on the Welsh site thie kit is now availalbe in Alaskan, SAS & Braathens markings.

The wings and fuselage fairing has been re-engineered as per the A320 kit.

CLS72-15.jpg

Ray :cheers:

Edited by TrojanThunder

My 737-500 is very similar to the BBJ/700 kit above but as mentioned earlier the wings are split just outbd of the pylon area, from L/E to T/E.

The pic's above would suggest production processes have improved since I bought mine many moons ago.

Eng

And *still* Densil thinks that carving out window openings and filling them with Krystal Kleer is the way to go for clear parts on 1/72 models. Apparently he still doesn't get that the 19th Century ended 108 years ago.

J

For the wedge tail you get the cockpit glazing provided as a vac clear piece, and to be hones most of the rest of the windows are filled so not a problem.

Julien

• 3 weeks later...