windows tip

tornado64

a tip i have not seen any mention of here that i used to use for model railways for nice realistic windows ( smaller ones at least ) particularly on airliners ( with this technique you can throw away the cabin portholes and build fill and spray model then do the windows ) it is also such a simple technique

equipment required ...bottle of humbrol clear fix canopy glue ...cocktail stick.....

the technique dip coctail stick in clearfix run round edges swiftly gradualy working to centre of window then once all clearfix is across and joined to form full window withdraw cocktail stick to leave completed window ( practice makes perfect )

the result is perfectly flush windows ( far superior to kit items )

there is obviously a limit to size but for the smaller window nothing comes close

Microscale have a product specifically designed (marketed) for this job.. it's called Micro Crystal Clear. It's not something I've used, but I think it's fairly well known :)

I use it too - i've managed to use it for transparencies up to nearly 5x5mm, if you are very careful!

Larger windows may leave bubbles in the set transparency, but you can just pop them out and do it again.

Never used Microscale version though.

I use it too - i've managed to use it for transparencies up to nearly 5x5mm, if you are very careful!

Larger windows may leave bubbles in the set transparency, but you can just pop them out and do it again.

Never used Microscale version though.

I gave up on Clearfix. I tried it for Camera windows on my Dynavector Wyvern. The problem was that it went on great, but bubbles seemed to form during the drying process. Any thoughts, as it really does make clear windows? I've also used Crystal Clear, but it's anything but clear - only translucent at best. In wet weather it also sags a bit.

Dave.

The thing to remember with Clearfix is that it does not dry completely flat, the centre is thinner with it being thicker around the edges, so this will distort the view through. Not really noticeable on small airliner windows but on larger areas can be seen. I used it to do the smaller windows on my Control Tower 1/76, the larger roof observation being done with clear plastic card.

DSCF0032.jpg

Best

Rich