Questions For P47 Experts

Mr Fudge

I am building a VFS P47D Bubbletop.

I want to make the model to represent the RAF machine in Burma.

According to Aircraft Profile 7 this machine would have been an equivalent of a P47D-25.

The instructions for the kit however say that the aircraft was a P47D-28.

Who's right?

The way I understand my references the D-25 would have been constructed with the corrugated cockpit floor and the D-28 the "flat" floor.

My second question is were the wheel wells painted zinc chromate yellow like other internal parts?

I have not been able to find a colour picture of the wheel wells so far - only restored machines with some modern replacement finish.

TIA

I am building a VFS P47D Bubbletop.

I want to make the model to represent the RAF machine in Burma.

According to Aircraft Profile 7 this machine would have been an equivalent of a P47D-25.

The instructions for the kit however say that the aircraft was a P47D-28.

Who's right?

The way I understand my references the D-25 would have been constructed with the corrugated cockpit floor and the D-28 the "flat" floor.

My second question is were the wheel wells painted zinc chromate yellow like other internal parts?

I have not been able to find a colour picture of the wheel wells so far - only restored machines with some modern replacement finish.

TIA

You need Geoff Thomas's book "Royal Air Force Thunderbolts". I have a copy (as possibly do others). RAF serials HD182-271 were -25-RE. KJ128-297 were D28-RE. As regards the wheel wells, I have no reason to expect they were anything other than the standard zinc chromate but "others may know more"! IIRC the main external diff between the two would have been the props. However there was a great deal of swapping going on for servicability reasons. According tio the book, operational machines used the Hamilton Standard prop but the D-28 with the more powerful engine was fitted with the Curtiss Electric paddle bladed prop. Depending upon the kit you have, both are often supplied. HTH

Thanks for the prompt reply the machine is KJ278 and therefore a -28 which presumably is the "smooth" floor?

The D28 was the first batch to have the smooth cockpit floor thats correct.

Propwise, only 3 batches were fitted with the Hamilton Standard prop.

Off the top of my head, and I dont have my references to hand these were the D22 D25 and D27 batches.someone correct me please if Im wrong.

D28s were fitted with a mixture of Curtiss Paddlebladed and Curtiss Asymetrical props, so check your references on that one.

D20-D40 were fitted with the same engine type P+W2800-59.Correct magnetos for this engine are the "Turtleback" type.

Ive no reason to suspect that the wheel wells were anything but zinc cromate.

Hope this helps

Nige.

http://p47.kitmaker.net/