In progress MiG-23UB

I think every modeler has their white whale, the one kit or aircraft they obsess over, that holds a special place in their heart. The MiG-23 is mine. For the last three years I've been messing around with Esci's 1/48 Flogger kits. I have an MLD that's been 40% complete, then torn down, more times than I can remember. My current project--which began in the spring of 2004--is below. It's Esci's MiG-23S that will eventually be a two-seat MiG-23UB (or UM, I keep changing my mind on markings). I'm completely scratchbuilding the cockpits and have just about finished the front one. There are some minor details to add and it's nowhere near 100% accurate but it looks pretty good to me (not to mention it's the most work I've ever put into a cockpit).

More pics as things progress (the macro function on my camera brings out every flaw. I assure you it looks better in person). Enjoy.

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Guest Drewe

It might look better in the flesh, but you can rest assured it looks bloody excellent in the didge!

I really wish someone would do a state of the art, multi-option series of MiG-23's in 72nd*. It's a vastly underrated aeroplane, and one that has seen service literally all over the world. I can only hope the in-the-works Kopro MiG-23BM is the start of a series.

*okay, and 48th, for the unbelievers.

And Americans. Obviously.

Edited by Drewe

Bloody hell!!

I wish I had the patience to do that. How on earth did you get the switches to stick, what are they made from did you cut them to length when fitted?

Nige.

That is some darn fine work. Mystery to me also why the MiG 23/27 series has been ignored - but then again given the momentum coming out of China, one surely won't be far away in the three major scales.

Cracking work David, recall you talking about this one before in another place and glad to see her take shape here.