Italeri Hawk - Decals Applied

Spence

Hey everyone - just a quick note to show you some progress has been made on the Italeri Hawk that I'm building for the next issue of MIS. As you can see, the airframe has been built and I've made a start on the camouflage; I'd forgotten how long these damn wrap-around schemes take, three hours just to apply the green! :hypnotised:

Anyhows, the model has now been sealed with several coats of clear and so I'll be able to apply the decals and start to break up the camo a little with some further layers of colour - hopefully, this being done over the next few days.

I hope you like it!

Spence :)

3061842876_5230b1471d.jpg

3061003687_6c46a88f0e.jpg

3061844850_c573ff78b3_b.jpg

3061004347_510808f109_b.jpg

Edited by Spence

Flippin' gorgeous as usual...makin' us look bad dude!!!! (but in a nice way)

Nicest looking Hawks with exeption of black and Welsh Dragon beasts (that Dragon one must rate as one of the prettiest planes ever)

Shape looks good to me.

Edited by turnerdad

Nice job Spence. How come there is no cockpit in it? Will you add that later?

I wonder how you can spend 3 hours on spraying just the green colour - sounds more like the time it takes to paint a 1:1 model of the Hawk. ;)

Regards,

Nice job Spence. How come there is no cockpit in it? Will you add that later?

I wonder how you can spend 3 hours on spraying just the green colour - sounds more like the time it takes to paint a 1:1 model of the Hawk. ;)

Regards,

Hey Jens - The cockpit is it! It's just the seats that are missing along with the coaming for the rear instrument panel. As for the time taken to add the green, that was down to my use of very fine paint, fine lines and painting the green freehand to get demarcations as tight as possible - all of which take time my good man! ;)

Spence

OK Spence, it's just that I could not see any other colour but grey in the cockpit so I figured you might have planned to do it later on.

I know freehand camo takes a long time to apply. I just did it today on my Typhoon, but I think it took only about an hour or so. I know the Hawk is larger than the Typhoon, and the fact that it's a wrap-around scheme probably also means that it takes longer to apply.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. :)

Regards,

Hello everyone - well, it looks like I'm finally getting my modelling head back! Here's some progress from today on the Hawk. As you can see the model's finish has been broken up slightly and time taken to add staining using oil paints - in much the same way that I did with the Draken. I've only done one side so far (and even that's no-where near complete yet), but I will attend to the other this afternoon - after I spend some time building something big and white... ;)

I hope that you like it!

Spence

3063568986_d8cc4e3690_b.jpg

3063568978_bf15d7ef69_b.jpg

3063568980_b9324e0458_b.jpg

Very nice Spence, what oils/thinner just out interest ?

Windsor & Newton Raw Umber oil paint thinned with Mig Productions 'Thinner For Washes' for the panel lines and used neat to create the staining - the latter blended in with a soft brush to create soft graduations of colour.

I hope that this helps!

Spence :analintruder:

I first read about using Raw Umber washes in one of the Verlinden books and used it for years, but I think that, while its good on AFVs and for doing oil leaks, it tends to give a rather "rusty" look to aircraft.

Not a criticism of your Hawk though Spence.

I first read about using Raw Umber washes in one of the Verlinden books and used it for years, but I think that, while its good on AFVs and for doing oil leaks, it tends to give a rather "rusty" look to aircraft.

Not a criticism of your Hawk though Spence.

I have a tendancy to agree with you, which is why I'm very careful about the amount that I use and how I do so. In these pictures, the model looks rather bright, whereas in fact it's really rather sombre and so the dark Raw Umber shade that I've used is well suited to creating a stained finish - just as you would see on a real Hawk... I hope...

Hey everyone - here's today's update...

As you can see, the decals have now been applied and further work carried out on the finish to bulk-out the effects and make it slightly busier. As for the decals, these were a real let-down; they're beautifully printed, but the designs seem to have gone astray somewhat. As Jonathan say, the '5' in the codes is the wrong style to begin with, then there is the lack of the Squadron crest on the nose (it appears in the drawings!) and the use of ejector seat triangles that are backed in white. Add to that the fact that the fin flash is too large and you can see that things just don't look good. Still, I persevered and used the decals as supplied to show the readers how they look from the kit (this is an OOTB build after all...), though if I were to build this kit again, I would definitely source aftermarket items. Having said all that, they went on really well and look great in place - just as you would expect from Italeri's decals.

All the best, Spence :)

Here, the decals are in place and the model sealed with several layers of matt varnish...

3065866526_fe009d7a4b_b.jpg

Here, some of the panels have been oversprayed with varying shades to further break up the model's finish - much as I did on the Draken...

3065866532_e6136a0272_b.jpg

Guest snipersmudge

looks smashing, like the variation in tones too, however after seeing your build Spence I feel obliged to add one of these kits to my ever growing stash of aircraft (dam it I'm an armour modeller!) It looks a very good kit for an ootb build

Pete

As you can see, the decals have now been applied and further work carried out on the finish to bulk-out the effects and make it slightly busier. As for the decals, these were a real let-down; they're beautifully printed, but the designs seem to have gone astray somewhat. As Jonathan say, the '5' in the codes is the wrong style to begin with, then there is the lack of the Squadron crest on the nose (it appears in the drawings!) and the use of ejector seat triangles that are backed in white. Add to that the fact that the fin flash is too large and you can see that things just don't look good.

All the best, Spence :)

That's looking great, nice work on the paint finish. :speak_cool:

63 Squadron Hawks did not carry the crest on the nose, this was only worn by the Hawks of the 1 TWU (79 & 234 Sqn) at RAF Brawdy.

Another mistake on the Italeri kit sheet are the upper wing roundels are the wrong size, they should be larger than the underwing and fuselage roundels.

Looking forward to seeing this one on it's wheels

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Looking pretty super there Spencer!

I always like your builds, they have a much likeness to some of the brilliant Spanish modellers methods. Very subtle shades, tones and filters that add to overall effect of the paint job!

Can't wait to see it in the mag, just go the Luftwaffe special, some lovely builds alround in there, including yours :)

Matt

63 Squadron Hawks did not carry the crest on the nose, this was only worn by the Hawks of the 1 TWU (79 & 234 Sqn) at RAF Brawdy.

Another mistake on the Italeri kit sheet are the upper wing roundels are the wrong size, they should be larger than the underwing and fuselage roundels.

Shaun.

Hey Shaun - thanks for that! I must admit that I didn't know about the wing roundel sizes, so I've learnt something there! As for the squadron crest, I think that I was swayed by the Italeri instructions that show the crest in place, rather than actually looking at my reference shots that don't show it. At least Italeri got that right..!!!