One for the older readers 607 Sq

Test Graham

Many years ago (1950s? 60s?) I read that other members of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force referred to 607, the County of Durham squadron, as "The Coal Miners", after the local industry. The unit therefore adopted black flying suits, rather than the normal RAF and RAuxAF white. There are photos of squadron members in these suits, with the unit's very natty winged lion badge on the pocket.

However, Robert Dixon has just released a book on the squadron in this period, and he's never heard of the tale. He also says that 603 Sq also had black flying suits.

Can anyone point to the source of this story? Apparently it is not Leslie Hunt's 21 Squadrons.

Graham,

Here verbatim is what Richard Collier writes on pp.93 & 94 his 'Eagle Day' (Pan paperback - 2nd printing, 1968)

"For the Durham-recruited 607 Squadron, known as 'The Bloody Coal Miners', standard white flying overalls were out; all wore mauve, the County Palatinate colour.

Incidentally, do you have a copy of 'Twenty-One Squadrons' ? There may be some additional info on this story in the section on 607.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98

Thanks very much - not quite what I was expecting but does provide something else I'd come to believe: a link between the squadron's use of mauve and Palatinate Purple, the colour used by Durham University. However, the flying overalls are too dark for the mauve, although the winged lion on the breast pocket could be.

Edited by Graham Boak

"Incidentally, do you have a copy of 'Twenty-One Squadrons' ? There may be some additional info on this story in the section on 607."

I've done a quick scan of the 607 Sq bit of "Twenty-One Squadrons" but haven't spotted any refs to the colour of their flying suits - or even the squadron nick-name. There is a picture (p.167) of one W F Blackadder in a dark flying suit with natty winged lion badge: to my mind it looks a tad too light - or well-washed - to be black but I couldn't be categorical.

Nick

No, I don't have 21 Squadrons, but believe that I encountered the reference before that appeared. It was rewritten: possibly editions differ.

I suspect the photo of Blackadder is the same as in Peter Cornwell's recent Then and Now: The Battle of France. Pictures of the black (ok, very dark) flying suits can also be seen in Robert Dixon's new book.

Thanks Paul: I have one clipping from that issue: "Braced Wire to Barbed Wire" but not the other - what was it?

Either I've misremembered the "Eagles Day" story, or the one I do remember predated that, but any more recent reference to the nickname or the choice of colour will be welcomed.

Hi Graham,

I had the great pleasure and honour of getting to know Joe Kayll before he died and saw some of his photo collection. He wore white overalls in some photo's (in UK pre-war) and later photo's (possibly in France he wore darker coloured overalls with the squadron crest on the breast posket. Unfortunately I never asked what the colour was :doh:

I know this isn't a definitive answer, but I hope it helps.

Bob