CMR 1/72 Spitfire

Hi all, as I have trouble finishing models I thought I would post my progress here in an effort to motivate me to finish it, no promisses though.

The model I have chosen to share with you is CMR's Spitfire Mk IXE, which will be my first resin kit, and to top it off it comes with a vac form canopy. :whip:

Boy do you get a lot of parts for such a small kit, there are 3 wings, 2 props, , 2 canopies, various bombs and rockets, plus a small PE fret and a masking set. To finish it off there are 7 marking options. Here are a few pics of the parts.

DSC_5245.jpg

I have chosen to do the South African version.

DSC_5246.jpg

DSC_5249.jpg

DSC_5251.jpg

DSC_5255.jpg

DSC_5256.jpg

DSC_5257.jpg

DSC_5259.jpg

Please forgive my photography skills.

David.

Edited by mossieramm

Quite an impressive list of contents, innit? :o Could you reuse those wings anywhere? Would be a shame to just consign them to the parts bin.

The shell ejector chutes look a little oversize on that last photo, or is it me?

Could you reuse those wings anywhere? Would be a shame to just consign them to the parts bin.

Indeed, however I'm not sure what to do with them. But as this is my first resin kit, I might use them as practice.

The shell ejector chutes look a little oversize on that last photo, or is it me?

I dont have any plans to confirm, and I must admit I'm not a Spitfire expert, but they do seem a bit oversized.

So far I've spent a little time cleaning parts and test fitting the fuselage. As you can see on the photo, there is quite a bit of warping of the fuselage, funny that none of the reviews I've read mention this. Nothing a hot bath wont cure. The resin is very delicate, so coation is needed.

DSC_5263.jpg

Comments, advice, etc all welcome.

David.

Resin's a precocious substance. One fuselage could come out of the mould as straight as a die, the next one could end up resembling a banana... it's just luck of the draw, but as you say, the application of a little heat should square things up. :)

Good luck, but CMR kits are a great place to start your resin career.

One tip, wash all the parts in something warm and soapy. I got away without doing this a few times, but the resin in the Classic Airframes Skyhawk I'm working on just did not want to stick with superglue. A quick wash of the parts and it's fine now.

I had to contend with a vac canopy in the CMR Typhoon. A sharp pair of scissors did the job, but be aware that as soon as you cut into it it goes as floppy as a floppy thing. Still manageable, but it was a bit of a surprise how the rigidity went when I cut it.

Steve.

Good luck, but CMR kits are a great place to start your resin career.

Thanks, I heard such good things about CMR kits I bought 5 at the ESM 2008, 3 of them Spitfires. :evil_laugh:

Sorry no pics, hopefully over the weekend, but I have been busy on and off cleaning the various parts. I do have a question though. Included in the kit there are two kinds of pedals, a square set and a rounded set, the instructions don't say which to use. I am making the South African Mk IXE. Anyone ??

Thanks,

David.

Looking at the photo, I'd say that the "curved" set is for an early IX, since they have the fabric toestraps. These were deleted from February 1944, so giving you the "square" set. As far as I can tell, Seafires always retained the straps. I wouldn't worry too much about the shell ejector chutes, either; remember you're dealing with 20mm empties, not .303".

Edgar

Edited by Edgar