Pegasus Hurricane MkI Snap Kit 1:48

Hi folks:

I was curious to see how this 'kid's kit' might turn out in comparison to mainstream Hurris.

Only one way to find out...

No frills inflicted on this one - just the Interior Green, black IP and no belts.

Hurricane1.jpg

Hurricane2.jpg

Some Halfords primer was on in record time as it builds very fast indeed.

Hurricane3.jpg

Undersides sky'd up and peripherals on their way.

H4.jpg

Basic camo, light weathering (more to come) and some of the decs on. It'll be interesting to have a go depicting the wing landing light areas and formation lights in just paint, as this is definitely a box stock version, except for the decs ('Vicky' Ortmans aircraft).

H6.jpg

H5.jpg

Best regards

Steve

Very nice, Steve!!

Am I right in thinking that these are "modified" Hasegawa moulds?

Hi Paul:

Thanks for this.

I've never heard anything about the Peggy being connected to the Hasegawa kits - the two are completely separate animals.

Best regards

Steve

Surface detail looks very similar - down tot he incorrect access panel on the starboard wing root and the rather heavy fabric detail on the rear fuselage. I'd need to see the parts and compare it to the Hasegawa kit I have.

A friend of mine (who runs a modelling website in the US) interviewed the guy who fronts the Peggy label (they're friends too). There was nothing in the interview that mentioned 'borrowing' moulds from Hasegawa. It would be truly bizarre indeed to pay hard cash for a mould and then engineer it to be inferior to the original. The normal m/o is to simply release the original 'as is'.

I'll mail my friend and mention your question so we can get a definitive answer - I'll post the response here Paul.

Thanks

Steve

Very nice, Steve!!

Am I right in thinking that these are "modified" Hasegawa moulds?

Hi Paul:

I have spoken to my contact in the US who confirms that there is absolutely no connection to Hasegawa whatsoever (the Hurricane, in common with their other stuff, was definitely new tooled and produced in China).

His reply indicates, from the detail within it, that Pegasus are serious about carving out a niche in the market and doing it entirely 'in house'.

Best regards

Steve

Hi Paul:

I have spoken to my contact in the US who confirms that there is absolutely no connection to Hasegawa whatsoever (the Hurricane, in common with their other stuff, was definitely new tooled and produced in China).

His reply indicates, from the detail within it, that Pegasus are serious about carving out a niche in the market and doing it entirely 'in house'.

Best regards

Steve

Fair enough! Thanks for confirming that. :) I'm tempted, as it looks good and the price can't be beat!

Hi Tony / Jonathon / Paul:

Thanks for your responses.

I approached this kit from the point of view that the thing isn't a Hasegawa, is very much simplified and then accepted it for what it is - an opportunity to enjoy a very rapid assembly and move quickly to the finishing stages and then have fun with that. It can be refined without a huge effort (aerial masts, adding clear landing light covers, formation lights) but if you feel a compelling need on that one then you may as well stick with the Hase version.

My recommendation is let go and be a kid modeller again.

Wish you both well if you get one and look forward to seeing them here.

Best regards

Steve

Edited by Ogri

For a "snap fit" that looks really good. Lovely paint job, Steve.

Tony :clif:

:ditto: Some of the "snap fit" kits out now are really pretty good. Louise has a few from Hobby Boss, and from what Ive seen theyre really good :thumbsup2:

As for this Steve, its turned out really well, like it alot :thumbsup2: Oh and its a Hurricane :wub:

Thanks for sharing

Bex

:ditto: Some of the "snap fit" kits out now are really pretty good. Louise has a few from Hobby Boss, and from what Ive seen theyre really good :thumbsup2:

As for this Steve, its turned out really well, like it alot :thumbsup2: Oh and its a Hurricane :wub:

Thanks for sharing

Bex

Thanks for this Bex - it's not quite cooked yet. The decal gloss is off it now, the wheels are on and the finish is weathered down more. Hurricanes are your thing? Just started the Sweet 1:144 double MkI kits...I'll be freehanding the airbrush camo of course...lol.

Steve Von Bittonoffmorthanhecanchew

Thanks for this Bex - it's not quite cooked yet. The decal gloss is off it now, the wheels are on and the finish is weathered down more. Hurricanes are your thing? Just started the Sweet 1:144 double MkI kits...I'll be freehanding the airbrush camo of course...lol.

Steve Von Bittonoffmorthanhecanchew

Looking forwards to it Steve :thumbsup2:

When it comes to Hurricanes, Ive been known to upset The Eliptical Beast fans in a big way, I love them along with my Canberras & Phantoms :wub:

Bex

Looking forwards to it Steve :thumbsup2:

When it comes to Hurricanes, Ive been known to upset The Eliptical Beast fans in a big way, I love them along with my Canberras & Phantoms :wub:

Bex

Now seems a suitable opportunity to reveal my ignorance publicly and ask the question 'What is - The Eliptical Beast'? There must be some form of forfeit associated with this...lol

Steve

Now seems a suitable opportunity to reveal my ignorance publicly and ask the question 'What is - The Eliptical Beast'? There must be some form of forfeit associated with this...lol

Steve

The "Elipitical Beast" is my reference to the Spitfire :evil_laugh:

Bex

Very nice to see how a obviously talented modeller transform a "toy" trough a very good paint job, into a very nice build :thumbsup2:

Hi P:

Amazing what you can do in Photoshop these days...only kidding! Thanks for this.

Have a great weekend.

Steve

Edited by Ogri

Aaahhhh - then you are truly Queen of the Naughty Corner...should've clocked the elliptical bit...

Steve Von Neinlongerinzerdark

Definately, the one and only :evil_laugh:

Bex

Definately, the one and only :evil_laugh:

Bex

Hi Bex:

I notice in your build list you have a kit there apparently butchered by your cat(s). I have cats also and this suffered a similar fate before being finished as you see it here (Horizon's vinyl Velociraptor kit):

5.jpg

16.jpg

Here's a link to the sorry tale: http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/misc/fi...s/buddveloc.htm

Steve

Edited by Ogri

Steve,

Yup, my little toe rag Felix thought it would be fun to jump up and down on my 32nd Tornado, and then I had a sense of humour failure and stuck it in a corner out the way :yikes: I look at it every now and again but go back to building Phantoms or Canberras :rofl:

That Raptor looks pretty amazing, youre braver than me (although Im surprised the cat hasnt ended up in a similar pose :rofl: )

Bex

Yup, my little toe rag Felix thought it would be fun to jump up and down on my 32nd Tornado, and then I had a sense of humour failure and stuck it in a corner out the way :yikes: I look at it every now and again but go back to building Phantoms or Canberras :rofl:

kitler1606.jpg

"Felix voz orderred to attak zer Britisher Tornado and hass commpleted hiz verk vell! I am zer leader of zer new Furred Reich! Ve vill szveep you foolish modellers aside! You sink I am a leetle softie? Vell look at my shtare! I haff not blinkked even vunce! I sink I need tu haff a leetle shleep now before my mylk unt meety bits..."

kitler1606.jpg

"Felix voz orderred to attak zer Britisher Tornado and hass commpleted hiz verk vell! I am zer leader of zer new Furred Reich! Ve vill szveep you foolish modellers aside! You sink I am a leetle softie? Vell look at my shtare! I haff not blinkked even vunce! I sink I need tu haff a leetle shleep now before my mylk unt meety bits..."

Steve,

Im so glad I finished my cup of tea before I opened this thread, or my lap top would have been sprayed with a gob full of tea :yikes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brilliant :worthy:

Bex