F-111E and F

Lord Riot

I've recently acquired a bargain Airfix F-111E kit and was wondering if anyone could answer either of the following?

If I make the E version OOB, are there any decals with the UH tail code and serial in black? (those in the kit are white).

or

What would I need to change externally on this kit to make it look like a Lakenheath F-111F? ie what's the difference between an E and an F, visually?

Initially the main difference between the E and F were the exhausts, and later the F picked up the Pave Tack pod in the weapons bay.  Here's a useful site for the differences:  LINK  Also, more in depth at the same site, are the articles by Jim Rotramel (former F-111 WSO) on the F-111 for modelers.  LINK 

There aren't a lot of decals for the E version, Wolfpak Decals has a couple that cover it, one is old school with JT tailcodes (in white though) 72-029 LINK while the other, 72-092, has black UH tail codes from Desert Storm but on an overall Gunship Gray finish.  LINK  I believe Superscale sheets 72-542 and 72-613 might have UH tail codes in black on the classic F-111 SEA camo scheme; you can probably find them at Hannants or on ebay.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Correcting information
  • Like 1

The E and F use the same Triple Plow II inlets with the auxiliary blow-in doors.

The Environmental Control System venting is different on the E (flush vents) and F (bulged vents), as are the engine nozzles.

Pave Tack pod and cradle was also only on the F (and Aussie C) from around 1981+

HTH

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks guys. So am I correct in thinking the Triple Plow II intakes on the E and F looked the same? And the main visual difference will be the jet pipes?

I might stick with the E model, it depends what's easier/cheaper to find - black UH decals or F version jet-pipes!

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks guys. So am I correct in thinking the Triple Plow II intakes on the E and F looked the same? And the main visual difference will be the jet pipes?

I might stick with the E model, it depends what's easier/cheaper to find - black UH decals or F version jet-pipes!

Yes the intakes look the same on the D, E, F, G, the production FB-111 and even the final F-111B prototype.   

David

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murph said:

the other, 72-092, has black UH tail codes from Desert Storm but on an overall Gunship Gray finish.   

You could get this sheet and use the kit instruction for the normal camo rather than the Grey if you wanted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hook said:

Hasegawa's 1/72nd F-111E (kit K36) has black "UH" markings.

Cheers,

Andre

I might have that sheet at home. I will let you know later if that is alright.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:37 PM, Lord Riot said:

I might stick with the E model, it depends what's easier/cheaper to find - black UH decals 

I do have the Hasegawa sheet for the F-111E with UH on it, with just a few stencils removed. If you would like it please let me know.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I do have the Hasegawa sheet for the F-111E with UH on it, with just a few stencils removed. If you would like it please let me know.

Thanks mate! PM sent