Modelling Clay: the use of

Mancunian airman

Hi to you experienced clay modellers . . .

I am thinking of using modelling clay that is 'Air dry' type. Using it to form an embankment of sorts.

I have tried florist blocks but not happy with that.

I am looking at using this because I want something that is firm, solid, that I can confidently form/mold/cut to a specific shape

Can I paint it with PVA glue which I can then apply static grass fibres ?

I have read that another type 'Filmo' needs to be oven fired but that would be unsuitable for the plasti-card used to form the walls

thanks in anticipation

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hello Ian @Mancunian airman ... Just found this now. I did try modeling clay once about 30 years ago. It worked fine at the time. I remember painting it, and using white glue which is probably PVA glue to adhere railroad scenic grass to it. I had it on 1/4” plywood at the time. About two yrs. later it fell off.

Looking back it happened because i didn't anchor the clay with any kind of cement or fasteners to the base ( screws or rods ). You should be able to use it for making embankments. Have you also considered plaster ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

Dennis

Without wanting to sound stupid, what kind of plaster ?

I just thought the modelling clay would be easy to work with whereas the usual plaster I know of is for linning walls ?

Is there some type of modelling plaster that comes in a small quantity ?

I thank you for pointing out that I will need to secure the clay to the base board.

Are you suggesting that once shaped as an embankment , and hardened off, I should place screws through it into the base board ??

Ian

Pollyfilla type plaster. A version is available in £1 shops in a tub a bit bigger than a McD coffee cup. Its ready mixed but can be thinned with water

Put screws into wood base first, even attach some scraps of wood, then build up the bank over that

PS; don't use Plaster of Paris - its far too expensive and when dry its far too soft

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Is there some type of modelling plaster that comes in a small quantity ?

I thank you for pointing out that I will need to secure the clay to the base board.

Are you suggesting that once shaped as an embankment , and hardened off, I should place screws through it into the base board ??

Actually @Black Knight got here first. He said what i would have said. Have you looked at model railway layouts ? They're full of ideas and techniques for how to do scenery ? Im pretty sure there are a some videos on youtube to watch as well. 

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Pollyfilla type plaster. A version is available in £1 shops in a tub a bit bigger than a McD coffee cup. Its ready mixed but can be thinned with water

Put screws into wood base first, even attach some scraps of wood, then build up the bank over that

PS; don't use Plaster of Paris - its far too expensive and when dry its far too soft

Thank you Black knight. 

Dennis