F-15 Strike Eagle demonstrator

mirageiv

Hi guys,

I would like to build the F-15E demonstrator, TF-15B 71-0291, but I am unsure to what exactly must be converted/backdated from stock F-15E kits for this particular jet. Added to this I'm not sure what scale I would like to build it in, either 1/32 or 1/48 but that can be decided later after I understand what work must be done (unless it does matter? :shrug:). 

From what I gather, some of the main differences are: The pre-production pylons, CFTs, fuselage spine, airbrake size, nozzles and cockpit. However I'm not sure what this actually means for all but the nozzles. Are the pylon shapes different or number/location of pylons? How does the fuselage differ etc...?

If I used the Tamiya 1/32 or Revell 1/48 F-15Es as a basis, would someone knowledgeable on this F-15 be able to list the modifications needed? My F-15 knowledge is severely lacking (never built one before) and even after doing some reading I'm still not much the wiser tbh, especially to confidently start modifying an expensive kit such as Tamiya's! 

Could anyone also recommend any good references for this jet? Such as maybe old publications that show cockpit images or close ups of the older style pylons to see the differences. I have the Isradecal F-15I book but I'm not sure how useful that is for this project. 

I know Revell produced this early jet in 1/32 and Hasegawa in 1/48 but I'd like to use the best base kit available for the conversion, and AFAIK it is Tamiya in 1/32 and Revell in 1/48. Another way might be kit-bashing the various kits. I don't mind scratch building things (average level) but if I can borrow and adapt parts from the other kits to make life easier I'd do just that. 

For the markings, the pictures I have show the Euro-1 scheme has the same black stencils as normal Gunship Grey F-15Es and the only obvious difference being the serial so the markings should be no problem in either scale, especially if I go the kit bash route (assuming the old decals are usable). 

Any help and pointers on what to do would be greatly appreciated! ATM I'm preferring to tackle it in 1/32 but if 1/48 makes things a lot easier I'll happily go that route. 

Thanks all for any input,

David 

Edited by mirageiv

I only build 1:48, so I can't help for 1/32. In general you'd be better off starting from a F-15B or D if you can find CFTs for it. The production F-15E was a bit different than the demonstrator. If you can find it Hasegawa had a 1/48th Strike Eagle Demonstrator. Kit P8 was in their line for years and there is one in the US on e-bay . It's much closer to the demonstrator than starting from an accurate F-15E kit. Even for the demonstrator this kit needs a little correction. The demonstrator didn't have a gun and it had the early short speedbrake. Here's a build of P8

Hasegawa's 1:48 F-15E kits were based on F-15D plastic until 2012. Check out the Modelling Madness Hasegawa database

Edited by Steve McArthur
  • Like 1

I think it did not have the beefed-up u/c, so as has been said a B would be a good starting point. I have one of the Revell pseudo-T-Birds boxings featuring 291 for some 30 years, and was very impressed by the kit back then. Certainly a different ball park to their original Tornado. I‘d suggest going from a Revell B kit, or even the specific 1984 or thereabouts demonstrator boxing. Not quite sure if 291 still had the original „black spoke“ wheels when posing as the E, or the „white 8-hole“ style- IIRC the Revell has the latter. A very good bet for references would be Aerofax‘s Minigraph 2 and Datagraph 7 (?) which both should be easily available via Abe or Amazon. Would have to look up at home whether that stage of 291‘s career is covered with pictures etc, but I‘d bet. D&S IIRC also made a feature of E coverage, and that one may be uploaded on Boxart Den (Aerofax too, possibly). If you can be convinced of the Revell route, go for a recent boxing as Revell (Germany at least) decals up to the late 90s are usually junk - though the F-15 may have had something better.

• Like 1

Demo bird is based off the F-15B while Tamiya is F-15E

For 1/32, if you want to based off the Tamiya below are the main visual differences

1. Need to reshape the plyons on the CFT (Conformal Fuel Tanks) 
  2. Sand off the main landing gear doors to remove the bulge

While some mentioned the landing gears, wheels, lower fuselage have differences too but its beyond my knowledge.

Bruce had made some F-15B parts which can be used for this demo bird.

http://partsrparts.homestead.com/F15parts.html

• Like 1

Thanks for the information and help chaps!

I found this thread on ARC which shows the rear cockpit differences, front apparently still the same as a B which would make sense at this stage however maybe with a wide angle HUD.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/286412-f-15e-prototype-148/&page=2

So the list of changes from a base F-15E to this specific F-15'B' are:

-Cockpit mods

-Escapac seats (maybe changed to ACES II at some point)

-Early wheels

-Non bulged gear doors

-Remove cannon

-Feathered PW exhausts

-Short speedbrake

-new CFT pylon 

But as you guys say, the B is the better starting point. 

I found the Aerofax book in my stash that I forgot I had and on P108 it shows a picture showing some of the CFT pylon, just the one mounted on the base of the CFT, no other smaller pylons like production machines. It looks the same as this picture here:

71-0291, the F-15E demonstrator, c1980

link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137994134@N07/29108363872/in/album-72157666781218675/

The Revell and Hasegawa kits look to include this pylon which sorts that out fine, nice! 

Thanks for tall the help!

David 

• Like 2

There are some good high resolution photos of the Strike Eagle demonstrator available somewhere online, I'll see if I can find them again. One thing I remember from when I asked a similar question some time ago is that the demonstrator was a modification of a really early airframe so it has the small airbrake rather than the larger one used by almost all Eagles.

Here's my (7 year old) thread on the matter. Unfortunately some of the links (including the one with the hi res pictures) are now broken: 

the Hasegawa 1/48 F-15E has the right markings if you can get the old boxing. The box art shows the plane you are after. I am pretty sure it also has the right pylons and racks as it is actually represents the demonstrator.

Andy