Hello from Sheffield

James77

Hello all,

Been stalking the forums for about 3 months and it's now time to say hello.  I don't really remember making kits when I was young lad, although I have recollections of a Harrier, a Red Arrow and some kind of helicopter.   Could be my mind playing tricks on me though.  Fast forward to when I was about 24-25 and I bought what I think was Missouri(No idea what the make was), whilst on holiday in Spain, some months later I also purchased Revell's USS Wasp class. Never did complete either of those, both of which ended up in the bin half built.
I'm now 40 and about 6 months ago I came across Quick Kits on YouTube and that triggered some thing, so off I went and picked up Airfix's Spitfire MK1a 1:72 kit from Hobbycraft along with some glue, cutting board, etc. Took me a few months to finally complete but got there in the end.
Since then I've also completed Airfix Light Vickers Tank, Airfix Cromwell. Pictures below.

Working on: Revell's Admiral Hipper 1:720 ( Horrible Kit from the 70's, loads of flash, and most parts don't fit very well ), Currently in the painting stage.

Airfix WW1 Female Tank 1:76, About to put gloss coat on.

Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.1, building stage

I'd like to do a in progress thread at some point, so might start one of those.

Cheers

James.

Spoiler

p4rccTj.jpg

v3a7SRp.jpg

FIRYW3W.jpg

Edited by James77
  • Like 4

Welcome to the forum, James. Being a Norwegian, I have been visiting Sheffield regularly the last four years as my son has gone to university there (he is now in Germany). Nearby Peak District is a gem for a hill walker like me.

You should build more aircraft models, though :)

Nils

• Thanks 1

Hello James ...:welcome: to Britmodeller from the USA. Very nice builds, keep up the good work. You will find that overtime you will develop a taste for certain subjects. Until then build whatever grabs your attention, enjoy, and keep learning whatever techniques and skills you think you’ll need. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Hi James.  

I am not far from you in Doncaster. The aircraft museum in Donny has a well stocked model shop and they hold a model club  night second Wednesday every month. members usually start showing up at about six pm.You will be more than welcome to come along. Same goes for all you good folks.

All the best

Greg.

• Thanks 1

Hi and welcome to the forum. I lived in Sheffield for nine years when I went to university there and stayed on to work. My brother lives there now and I still go down as it has many happy memories and an independent tea and coffee merchant. Nice models, I think small scale armour looks good, but then I am very shortsighted. 

Martin from 27 miles up the road. 

• Thanks 1

Hi, I'm not far from you, just over the motorway. Nice work on the models they look good to me.

There area couple of good modelling clubs in the area, The Sheffield Modellers Group and there is an IPMS branch which meets in Greasborough on the other side of Rotherham, if you fancy some face to face meeting. The club at Doncaster Air  Museum ids well worth going to as is their shop.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, gregers said:

Hi James.  

I am not far from you in Doncaster. The aircraft museum in Donny has a well stocked model shop and they hold a model club  night second Wednesday every month. members usually start showing up at about six pm.You will be more than welcome to come along. Same goes for all you good folks.

All the best

Greg.

I didn't even know there was a museum in Donny lol so thank you for that.  Is there a website with information about the club?

51 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Hi, I'm not far from you, just over the motorway. Nice work on the models they look good to me.

There area couple of good modelling clubs in the area, The Sheffield Modellers Group and there is an IPMS branch which meets in Greasborough on the other side of Rotherham, if you fancy some face to face meeting. The club at Doncaster Air  Museum ids well worth going to as is their shop.

I'm actually just off Junction 31.  Didn't realise there were any actually, do you have any information about The Sheffield Modellers Group?

On 22/04/2018 at 21:03, James77 said:

Been stalking the forums for about 3 months

:unsure:

:welcome: aboard James - good to have you here, and congratulations on coming out from the shadows of Lurkerdom :)

• Thanks 1

The Doncaster Museum is at Dakota Way near Doncaster Lakeside. They meet on the 2nd Wednesday from about 7pm. The museum itself is open every expect Mondays unless it is a Bank Holiday.

Sheffield and Rotherham IPMS meet on the third Monday of the month in the back room of the  Crown Inn, Potter Hill Greaseborough S61 4NU.

I know the Sheffield Group exists but I can't find any info on the net though a couple of the member do post here.

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1