1/35 Australian Centurion MK 5/1

This is a AFV Club kit,a build almost OOB,I added the front gun canvas and the gear in the back carrage tray.came from Firestorm after market gear,simple build only I stuffed the tracks joins a little,the quality was not that good and they did not stretch that well and came apart when I fitted them,I have always been going to build this kit,have had it in the stash for sometime,a friend of mine who served in Vietnam always asked when I was going to build it,so with our Anzac service this Wednesday and for my friend I got my finger out and finished it,kept the weathering down to the fine red dust that is typical of that part of the world.Hope you enjoy Cheers.

tn_70cca2ad-ac6c-40d6-bc50-1d39e458cfb6.tn_972475bf-312f-4c95-9617-6ede9585f832.tn_106c6993-3ed2-42df-b065-5db2782b9afa.tn_2116cd66-c8b7-432d-a52f-790591bd52f2.tn_11e8e369-6aaf-464c-bc19-426d3b0f2c49.tn_9f41544e-6edc-4628-b8a5-2de9c5de61e1.tn_c0c3019e-3530-44c7-8f14-9add1cf05e8b.

• Like 30

Hi Jim. Hope you are keeping well. That is a great looking Centurion. I built this kit a while back but purchased the AFV Club individual link tracks off a fellow Britmodeller - glad I did now! You would never guess from the photos that there were any problems though. Very well done. :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Are there are any big cats native to 'Nam? Having asked that, I do remember a scene involving a tiger in the jungle in Apocalypse Now, so maybe there are...

The Centurion looks great, my friend. Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Jim. Hope you are keeping well. That is a great looking Centurion. I built this kit a while back but purchased the AFV Club individual link tracks off a fellow Britmodeller - glad I did now! You would never guess from the photos that there were any problems though. Very well done. :clap2::clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,yes I saw your great build on this tank and thanks for your kind comments,I'm still hanging in there thanks for asking,Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Are there are any big cats native to 'Nam? Having asked that, I do remember a scene involving a tiger in the jungle in Apocalypse Now, so maybe there are...

The Centurion looks great, my friend. Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

Thanks Chris for your comments.About any wild cats I did google and there are tigers and leopards,but being Australians they were using the name more as a pun,I used the decals that came with the kit,and there were some that may not have went down well,you can buy a decal set that has some very naughty sayings,if you saw the movie Austin Powers when he met the twin Asian girls and they told him there names,a tank used this,just the Aussies humour,hope this makes it a little clearer,Cheers. 

3 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Very good build...  Never heard of that manufacturer before.   One of my favourites the Centurion.

Thanks,Yes it is a nice looking tank,and a reasonable size when built,I usually google my builds for info and pics to help me with the build,and I found out that there is one up and running that you can pay to ride on,so this is DEFINITELY on my to do list,and the manufacturer of the kit is in Taiwan,they are not the best kits but then there not the worst,Cheers.  

22 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

That's a superb build Jim,great weathering too:D

Thanks Steve,did keep the weathering down to a minimum,these tanks really did go through some muddy terrain and the red colour is very much like our red in Australia,Cheers Mate.

• Like 1

Great job on the Cent Jim. I was in Singapore when all of the unpleasantness was taking place, and met a few Americans and Aussies in The Pebbles Bar when they came down on R&R. I've got a couple of these kits with the intention of converting one into a Korean Mk.lll. Trouble is, the first one that I started had a really badly warped lower hull that wouldn't straighten out, hence the second one.

John.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Great job on the Cent Jim. I was in Singapore when all of the unpleasantness was taking place, and met a few Americans and Aussies in The Pebbles Bar when they came down on R&R. I've got a couple of these kits with the intention of converting one into a Korean Mk.lll. Trouble is, the first one that I started had a really badly warped lower hull that wouldn't straighten out, hence the second one.

John.

Thanks John,think I know what you mean about the warping,the left side on the front of mine was the same,first I thought it was the way it had to be so I heated it and add some damage,but at the end was still not happy with it,so in the end I took off the front of the guard,but oddly enough when I looked them up a lot in service had that side missing or both.A bit later this year I am going for a ride in one,will not be able to take the smile of my face for the rest of this year.Cheers.

• Like 1

Great looking Cent, nicely stowed & weathered. 

One of my favourite tanks, must add one to my collection. AFV Club will be releasing the Korean War Mk III at some stage.

Pete

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Great looking Cent, nicely stowed & weathered. 

One of my favourite tanks, must add one to my collection. AFV Club will be releasing the Korean War Mk III at some stage.

Pete

Thanks Pete,I'm sure John would be interested in the MK III,Cheers.

• Like 1