Lightning F.6 landing gear

Soloturk

Hello all,

I am building the Chematic Lightning F.6 kit, probably not ideal for someone like me who's not knowledgable on the smaller details of a lightning, as the painting guide with the kit is pretty hopeless.

If anyone has this kit what colour is part 8 and 10 please? It's the part that attaches to the landing gear. Also what colour would the landing gear door that's attached to the wing, is it silver?

If it helps I'm doing the Saudi version

Any help is appreciated!

James.

Most of the gubbins in Lightning undercarriage bays is “silver” of one shade or another, including the insides of the doors.  There are plenty of images on t’interweb, including the Walkaround pages on this esteemed site.  At least one of the jets on there is an ex-Saudi (or Kuwaiti) F. Mk. 53 so should give you a pretty good idea of what goes on in there.  Obviously some of the images are of “preserved” aeroplanes which may show some deterioration and discolouration so be a bit careful.

If you’re thinking along the lines of weathering less is more: if the bays look to be full of crud the pilot isn’t likely to want to fly it (the Lightning suffered from problems with the undercarriage for much of its life) and SEngO is going to be looking for someone to be spending a lot of time looking for leaks.

• Like 1

8l00dy Hell John!  You’re going to need to post warnings if you’re going to post pictures of wanton and gratuitous cruelty like that.  I nearly wound up wearing my coffee in my lap.

Sorry Mods: I’m going to need counselling after seeing that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't worry @stever219, I will mop your brow with the knowledge that the Lightning, though briefly harmed, does survive. 

XF578 survives as 'XR753' at Tangmere.

Obviously from another Lightning, you can tell from the wing handling pictures that it was good news for them also.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, stever219 said:

8l00dy Hell John!  You’re going to need to post warnings if you’re going to post pictures of wanton and gratuitous cruelty like that.  I nearly wound up wearing my coffee in my lap.

Sorry Mods: I’m going to need counselling after seeing that!

40 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Don't worry @stever219, I will mop your brow with the knowledge that the Lightning, though briefly harmed, does survive. 

XF578 survives as 'XR753' at Tangmere.

Obviously from another Lightning, you can tell from the wing handling pictures that it was good news for them also.

Sorry chap's I should have said no Lightning were harmed(well not much) in the making of this post! AS James said ZF753 went to Tangmear

vxmR65.jpgAnd ZF580 ended up on the Gate at Samlesbury, 

vxmDIM.jpg

vxmzDe.jpg

John

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! Only ever built an F-16 so probably not ideal as a second military jet model but still, got to start somewhere!

Never noticed the walk around shots so thank you very much, that walk around of the Norwich is very handy as that's the one I want to do

James.

• Like 2