1/72nd Airfix Mitchell Mk.II, 320 Sqn, Royal Dutch Navy, Post War, Holland late 1940`s, early 50`s. UPDATED,....now glossy!

Hiya Folks,

This is my 2nd Airfix Mitchell and it wears the markings of 320 Sqn of the Royal Dutch Navy`s Fleet Air Arm, ( Marine Luchtvaart Dienst) operated in the late 1940`s to early 50`s from Holland. It was brush painted using Pactra acrylic Extra Dark Sea Grey and Polly Scale Sky and the decals came from the spares box after I couldn`t find the decal sheet that I had originally bought,..doh! 

Here is the WIP in the B-25 Mitchell Group Build here on BM;

Here are some of the original aircraft;

27428401898_e6d61c7d6a_z.jpg41345962381_146d51f38c.jpg41300765221_5c53dfd679_z.jpgImage result for mitchell dutch navy

And here is the model in its original state,..... but I didn`t like the matt finish;

26718331677_21e97b536d_k.jpgDSCF2975_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

So,... since posting I`ve brushed on a couple of coats of Klear to give a glossier finish, as per the original aircraft in service;

40894217794_80d1c818e9_k.jpgDSCF3002_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40895247384_99db010b89_k.jpgDSCF3003_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40713305415_76c4850a35_k.jpgDSCF3005_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/26oyoi8]41605757881_0ffc5bf79b_k.jpg[/url]DSCF3004_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41564715182_53ad61cadb_k.jpgDSCF3007_NEW by Tony OToole, on Flickr

41605756301_0cc0658c6a_k.jpgDSCF3022 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

40895244604_5763bb12cf_k.jpgDSCF3023 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

So thats it! I did say originally that it could maybe have done with being a bit shinier really,....  so I hope that it looks better now?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 65
  • Thanks 1

That’s a cracking looking Mitchell Tony. I really do like the way you get onto a particular subject bandwagon (read B-24) then in a mater of no time grace the BM viewing public with a wealth of reference material and wonderfully built and researched replicas. 

Im a fan of models with a slight sheen, so a little more lustre would be my vote. But this is purely on looks appeal rather than any accuracy stakes. 

I believe I may have forgotten to leave a comment on your RAF Mitchell thread, so I’ll get to that later today. 

As always - truly inspirational stuff! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Really great Mitchell Tony. I especially like the scheme you have chosen, anything in EDSG and Sky gets my vote! I also missed the original WIP thread, so just caught up on that. Great stuff.

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

A beautiful looking Mitchell, Tony.  A very nice scheme and you really have turned brush painting in to a high art from.  It looks like a lovely kit so you've definitely inspired me to get one when the RAF version becomes available. 

• Like 1

@tonyot great build as usual but let me tell you about a remarkable coincidence that happened just now this morning. I went to my local hobby shop to buy some paint and model supplies. When I entered there was an older gentleman there asking the owner if he knew if the Trumpeter 1/24 FW-190A was ever going to be released. I was minding my own business, looking at some kits on the shelves when I heard the gentleman and the store owner come over. He asked if he could see the new big Hobby Boss 1/18 FW-190. The owner couldn't find it immediately but as I had just seen it as I had been browsing I pointed to the area in one of the top shelves where I'd just seen it. The older gentleman informs the store owner he'd like to buy it, and they go to the register to pay, and I continue minding my own business.

I do notice that the gentleman is very talkative, and he starts talking about that he grew up near Valkenburg where these B-25s were stationed. Mentions the B-25s and Catalinas and Fireflies too. Earlier this morning I had seen your finished build so I started listening to the conversation. Then he starts telling an anecdote that he introduces by saying that having a broken bike chain saved his life once. Apparently, he was biking near the air field and the chain broke, bringing him to a halt. He turned his bike upside down to fix it, which he did, and as he goes to bike on he suddenly hears an aircraft (a B-25), and he said, "the moment I heard it coming it was there". It flew right past him - where he would have been if his bike hadn't broken down - and crashed into a barn.

The gentleman pays for this kit and remembers he left his glasses near where I was so he comes over. I'm shocked to see the terror in his eyes. "Did you hear what I just said", he asks me, "it flew right over my head and crashed right near me, the folks flying it were only kids and it could have killed me!" He apologetically tells store owner that he's sorry he's talking so much - who says it's fine. I had already realized that he wasn't entirely with it earlier but talking about the event must have really shook him up - and must have left him traumatized somehow that it's still such a vivid memory that he felt compelled to talk about with strangers.

Edited by elger
  • Like 5

Thanks everybody,...... I`ve actually added a couple of coats of Klear onto the model as I wasn`t too happy with how matt it turned out,...... I`ll post some more pics later!

1 hour ago, elger said:

@tonyot great build as usual but let me tell you about a remarkable coincidence that happened just now this morning. I went to my local hobby shop to buy some paint and model supplies. When I entered there was an older gentleman there asking the owner if he knew if the Trumpeter 1/24 FW-190A was ever going to be released. I was minding my own business, looking at some kits on the shelves when I heard the gentleman and the store owner come over. He asked if he could see the new big Hobby Boss 1/18 FW-190. The owner couldn't find it immediately but as I had just seen it as I had been browsing I pointed to the area in one of the top shelves where I'd just seen it. The older gentleman informs the store owner he'd like to buy it, and they go to the register to pay, and I continue minding my own business.

I do notice that the gentleman is very talkative, and he starts talking about that he grew up near Valkenburg where these B-25s were stationed. Mentions the B-25s and Catalinas and Fireflies too. Earlier this morning I had seen your finished build so I started listening to the conversation. Then he starts telling an anecdote that he introduces by saying that having a broken bike chain saved his life once. Apparently, he was biking near the air field and the chain broke, bringing him to a halt. He turned his bike upside down to fix it, which he did, and as he goes to bike on he suddenly hears an aircraft (a B-25), and he said, "the moment I heard it coming it was there". It flew right past him - where he would have been if his bike hadn't broken down - and crashed into a barn.

The gentleman pays for this kit and remembers he left his glasses near where I was so he comes over. I'm shocked to see the terror in his eyes. "Did you hear what I just said", he asks me, "it flew right over my head and crashed right near me, the folks flying it were only kids and it could have killed me!" He apologetically tells store owner that he's sorry he's talking so much - who says it's fine. I had already realized that he wasn't entirely with it earlier but talking about the event must have really shook him up - and must have left him traumatized somehow that it's still such a vivid memory that he felt compelled to talk about with strangers.

Thanks for the story Elger,..... I have seen an aeroplane (Mosquito) crash and explode, killing both crew so can imagine how the man must have felt, especially being so close and of course with his own life at risk too,...... it has stuck with me and so I`m not surprised that he was affected too,..... he must have re lived it for the first time in a while and been surprised at how vividly he remembered it. Hope he had a nice stiff drink later on! It is quite a co incidence with the timing!

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 1

Hi Tonyot - beautiful build - and love the markings.  Would you mind describing a bit your technique for brush painting as well as your application of Klear?

Many thanks!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RET said:

Hi Tonyot - beautiful build - and love the markings.  Would you mind describing a bit your technique for brush painting as well as your application of Klear?

Many thanks!

Hello RET,..thanks..and gosh I wish I had a quid for every time somebody asks how I brush paint,.....but no worries, glad to help if I can.

- Brushes,...... I use fine artists brushes and find that when covering larger areas a wide flat brush does the trick better as it is quicker to fill them in and uses less paint.

- Paints,.....I use various paints,....acrylics and enamels but prefer the old Polly Scale and Aeromaster acrylics,....however my stock is rapidly running down. I don`t generally thin my paints,....but when using Tamiya paints I find that mixing it with flow enhancer helps,....Vallejo 73.524 Thinner Medium is the one which works best.

- Method,...... I try to apply as little amount of paint as possible and find it easier to sand each coat and then apply another on top,....building the layers up rather than slopping it on. It usually takes 2-3 coats to get a decent finish and for the last one it is more of a dry brush application, scuffing the colour on. This scuffing also helps to flatten any brush marks from earlier coats and a final light sanding and buffing helps to flatten the paint again.

- Varnish,.... I always apply a coat of Humbrol 35 Gloss Varnish (from the large tins,....not the bottles or small tinlets) as this helps to level the paint again and provides a good basis for the decals. Another coat of gloss seals the decals into place and then the matt varnish,.... whichever one I can get,..... is applied in the same way as the paint layers,...... a final dry brushing/scuffing of the varnish helps to remove any brush marks. 

As for Klear,...... it was brushed on in exactly the same way.

I do hope that this helps,......

Cheers

Tony  

Superb Mitchell, Tony – and that extra coat of Klear really dots the i.

Brush painted… Maybe I should just stop complaining about having nowhere to use an airbrush and just get on with it, wielding that ol' hairy stick…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1