Hobbycraft HC1433 A-4B Skyhawk

Here are some photos of what I consider the joy of my current collection, Hobbycraft´s A-4B Skyhawk. This is my only post-WW2 jet.

It was an easy build, I almost ruin it because I trimmed the nose landing gear, not thinking about the nose up stand the aircraft should have.

I also managed to lose the pitot tube while handling it, so I replaced it with a bent staple glued with CA.

The model was brushpainted with Revell colours 46, 40 and 65.

40524050882_6d4db256bc_z.jpg

40524050702_867a3f8c0c_z.jpg

40524050532_97c6c29e28_z.jpg

40524053252_198abc3e3c_z.jpg

39671771625_89cea480e1_z.jpg

40524052092_aa4a610213_z.jpg

40524049812_d07ecf482f_z.jpg

39671771175_013920d57f_z.jpg

40524053732_4204406248_z.jpg

39671770835_1eedc0d764_z.jpg

39671770665_34c8e58b40_z.jpg

39671770575_683bf4701d_z.jpg

40524048832_2ab5f6784c_z.jpg

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

@exdraken I´m not really sure, online photos show what looks like a MK 82 bomb, but the Hobbycraft one seems to be a MK 81.

Looking at it again I woud discard both...

More a M117 size and schape wise ...

What scale is this A-4P(B)?

The colours are a bit dark although the slight glossiness of the finish is reasonably accurate.

The bomb is a British Mk.17 1000lb HE.

The FAA did not use US ordnance 'till after the Falklands conflict.

Your model represents C-207 in the early years (1970's) of FAA use, the giveaway is the lack of red painted 'pinch points' behind the slats.

Regards,

FAAMAN B)B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@FAAMAN it´s the Hobbycraft kit in 1:48.                                                                                                                                                                                                        I had a struggle with the colours, I tried following Airfix´s colour guide, but I thought the model would end up looking like a Spitfire, so after sleeping on it for some time, I decided to use RLM 70/81/65, because it looked good to my eyes. The glossiness is because of the matt varnish.

The A-4s lined up on this LINK look similar in colour to mine but faded, so let´s assume this was a freshly painted example                                                                                      I literally had no idea about the colour of the slats (the flaps are painted in the fuselage colour), I just used RLM 02 because I didn´t want to buy red paint just for that detail. Another clue is that it doesn´t have the colours of 1986.                                                                                                                                                                   

• Like 1

I've done a rather exhaustive thread regarding correctly the A-4B and FAA A-4P here on the ATF, this link will take you to the A-4P posts,

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/airfix-1-72-douglas-a4b-4p-skyhawk-a03029-t47356-s30.html#p716507

The Airfix colour call outs are not that bad really, but they really should've done some research before releasing the kit FAA option.

I know it's for the Airfix model and other 1/72 scale kits (I do not build 1/48 scale) but the info is universal to all J-65 powered A-4's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great looking skyhawk. I really like the finish, and great brush paint work. I'm embarking on a bit of a Skyhawk marathon and there will be a good deal of Argentine versions including this one. Good research thread too. 

• Like 1

Nice looking Scooter. Having been down South for work some 10 years after the conflict I just can't seem to bring myself to model an Argentine airframe, strange but a little personal for me I guess.Very nice result mind

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Great looking skyhawk. I really like the finish, and great brush paint work. I'm embarking on a bit of a Skyhawk marathon and there will be a good deal of Argentine versions including this one. Good research thread too. 

I can give you the links I´ve bookmarked if you want to, all of them are in Spanish, but the pictures speak for themself.

1 hour ago, Simon382 said:

Nice looking Scooter. Having been down South for work some 10 years after the conflict I just can't seem to bring myself to model an Argentine airframe, strange but a little personal for me I guess.Very nice result mind

Same but backwards, I don´t see myself making a Harrier, and I´ve been three times in the UK.

• Thanks 2

I can not comment on the color but the paint job is great and amazing being that it is a brush job.  I have always enjoyed Hobbycraft kits myself as they generally look the part and are affordable.  

17 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I can give you the links I´ve bookmarked if you want to, all of them are in Spanish, but the pictures speak for themself.

Same but backwards, I don´t see myself making a Harrier, and I´ve been three times in the UK.

Yeah post the Links please, be great to even have a look. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...