1/72 Sea Vampire F.20

Courageous

Just recently bit the bullet and purchased the Cyber-Hobby kit and it duly arrived at my workbench this morning.  As far as I can tell, this is really the only kid on the block without buying CMR's offering. I know that the the kit has its short comings but overall I'm impressed. The major issue for me in this kit is the cockpit...or lack of it :rage:.

As far as I can tell, this is totally lacking and bares no resemblance to the real thing? Does anybody do a resin/ PE? What are my options for the cockpit?

Stuart

• Like 1

I don't remember any aftermarket for D.H.100 Sea Vampire F.20 , but what a difference* for 1/72 cockpits Vampire F.B.5 & Sea Vampire F.20?

If no difference or little difference, why you don't buy photoetched from Eduard or cockpit resin set from Pavla for Vampire F.B.5?

B.R.

Serge

________

* - I have electronic version  pilot note for F.B.5 & F.20, but she is on other PC. I may doing analysis   this pilot note difference only tomorrow.

• Like 1

• Courageous changed the title to 1/72 Sea Vampire F.20

Serge- thanks for getting back.

My knowledge on most aircraft is minimal and didn't know what the F.20 consisted of except it was naval. I have since found out that it was a naval version of the FB.5 so I see no reason why I can't use the Eduard PE. Makes me wonder where Cyber-Hobby got their reference cockpit from? Cockpits are black but I've seen conflicting info on the colour of the seat?

It seems a little unclear as to what colour the wheel wells and doors were; interior green, aluminium or the lower surface colour?

Stuart

The seat was made from an early composite material which was a mixture of phenolic resin and paper, it was reddish brown in colour.

Standard Vampire wheel wells were factory finished in aluminium (silver) paint which was retained even when some aircraft received camouflage (the wheel wells were completely enclosed anyway so there would be no point going to the hassle of repainting them).

Depending on the Sea Vampire colour scheme, if it's overall aluminium then the wheel wells will be aluminium.  If the colour scheme is EDSG/Sky, the wheel wells may be sky or they may be silver, they're unlikely to be grey-green.

Captain Pugwash's Flying Circus (I'm ex-RAF if you hadn't already guessed), may have specified Sky for these areas if the aircraft was delivered in EDSG/Sky but silver would have sufficed and wouldn't have required a change from standard parts.

I'm sure somebody will come along and inform the collective knowledge base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I have electronic version  pilot note for F.B.5 & F.20, but she is on other PC. I may doing analysis   this pilot note difference only tomorrow.

Cockpit from Pilot note for F.20:

Sea_Vampire_F20_025.jpg

Sea_Vampire_F20_026.jpg

Sea_Vampire_F20_027.jpg

Cockpit from Pilot note for F.B.5:

Vampire_FB5-9_038.jpg

Vampire_FB5-9_039.jpg

Vampire_FB5-9_040.jpg

Pilot note for 5,6,20(!!!)50 &52 :
Vampire-5-6-20-50-52_002.jpg
Vampire-5-6-20-50-52_024.jpg

Vampire-5-6-20-50-52_026.jpg

Vampire-5-6-20-50-52_028.jpg

Vampire-5-6-20-50-52_030.jpg

Vampire-5-6-20-50-52_088.jpg

For set , cockpit from Pilot note for F.Mk.1

Vampire1_020.jpg
Vampire1_021.jpg
Vampire1_022.jpg

About Eduard photoetched and Pavla cockpit resin seat for Vampire and my

unfinished conversion F.20 from Heller F.B.5

I write late.....when I come back with products for cooking russian soup Shci (borsch is bored with something) from the store. :)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Couragous

Good luck with your build. I look forward to seeing this build up.

Thank you for posting the images too Serge. I have the Revell Fb5 and would like to convert to the Sea Vampire one day too so this is very helpful. Will watch with interest and Serge I will have a look for your conversion thread.

Thanks guys 

All the best 

Chris 

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Seat is simple enough except for rear cushion fitted to the seat, any ideas?

If you look in the last picture in Serge's post (thanks for posting these BTW), the one titled Fig.3 Cockpit - Right Hand Side, you can see the back cushion with its vertical sections which will be leather (probably brown but I'm not certain).  If you look at the third from last picture, the one titled Fig.1 Cockpit - Left Hand Side, it looks to have the parachute pack in place, not up on what colour that would be - possibly a buff colour?

I should imagine the Vampire cockpit would be a bit tight getting into or out of whilst wearing a parachute so I'd imagine these would be left fitted a lot of the time - but I don't know for sure.

You can see why the test pilot Bill Waterton referred to the cockpits of British designed aircraft as "ergonomic slums", so cluttered and such a mess, no help to the groundcrew either.

Edited by Wez

Serge- Thanks for all those images, very useful.

Chris- Thanks. Hopefully I'll get round to building the F.20 a little later in the year, after I've finished the FJ-1, S2D Buccaneer, a Trafalgar sub, a rescue launch and a F86 Sabre.

Wez- Thanks for pointing out the cushion from Serge's post.

Stuart