Mirage F.1 kits in 1/48

stalal

Also Kittyhawk.....

Can't say a word about it, but I know it exists.....

I've just built the old Esci , and apart from the lack of cockpit detail and oher typical Esci's features, not a bad kit in overall shape and ease of construction.....The Italeri reboxing offered an updated set of external stores....

Cheers....

• Like 1

Neomega made a very nice cockpit for the ESCI kit. Pavla has some intakes and a seat, IIRC. Royale Resin has some nice wheels. High Tech had an extensive resin set that corrected most of the kit's accuracy issues and added a lot of detail, but I think it is long out of production, now.

I have the Kitty Hawk kit. Typical of their kits, it is overly-complicated and has some accuracy issues. If you search the Works in Progress section, there was a brave soul who adapted some Pavla intakes and a Neomega cockpit for his South African Air Force model.  

Ben

5 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

I have the Kitty Hawk kit. Typical of their kits, it is overly-complicated and has some accuracy issues. If you search the Works in Progress section, there was a brave soul who adapted some Pavla intakes and a Neomega cockpit for his South African Air Force model.  

That's why I decided to stick to my old ESCi/Italeri kits......I'm not willing to spend LOTS of hard earned money in an over engineered kit wich still has inaccuracies. If I have to add some elbow grease, I prefer do do it in an inexpensive kit....

I prefer to spend my money in good whiskey rathar than in good plastic.....

• Like 1

Much the same as has been said about the Esci/Italeri kits being a solid basis for a model and there is a lot of aftermarket resin available from L'Arsenal for different pods, tanks and weaponry used by the CT and CR variants.

Have only ever seen the Kitty Hawk kit built and it has always struck me as not quite looking right , nothing specific but just a rather expensive little bit off.

The Esci one is the more correct one, .... and a lot easier build. It is also much less detailed!

The "best" i.e most correct one is probably the fonderie miniature twoseater... hard to find and lots of work though!

Th KH kit single seater looks wrong around the nose, the KH kits are a bit oversized  and sit too high.

The ESCI one has a too narrow front canopy....

Make your choice!

I have built the italeri kit and it is very basic but the fit is ok and it goes together very well, just needs some help in cockpit detailing and wheel bays

here's  what i made out of it straight out of the box

Wqd9Wrf.jpg

ibmFGIC.jpg

7oJKPZA.jpg

• Like 8

On 20-4-2018 at 3:27 PM, Artie said:

I prefer to spend my money in good whiskey rathar than in good plastic.....

And with enough whiskey, you won't notice accuracy issues.

Or not care about them.   ;) 

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 4

I  thought the ESCI Mirage was a very good kit at the time it came out and would be a good starting point for a nice model. The only big issue, if you can call it that was the short internal jet pipe. Nice recessed detailing as well as I remember. 

• 5 months later...

I have the FM 2 seater, and several Esci/Itaeri F-1s. The biggest issue, accuracy wize is the "coje-bottle/aerofoil shape where the wing mates to the body, the FM kits captures it well. 

Not sure about be the KH kit. If I can get one cheap I will post pics comparing all of them.

On 4/24/2018 at 4:26 PM, PhoenixII said:

Take yer pick,

Whisky - Scottish

Whiskey - Irish or Eirean if you prefer.

Of course - I asked because he used the Irish spelling but his work progress pics on Scimitar etc. revealed a heavy Islay bias 😉

Only semi O/T, is the Esci 72nd kit a shrunken version of the bigger one? I have both but never bothered to compare....

Edited by tempestfan

The ESCI/Italeri kit has many issues:

Wing chord shorter than to scale; wrong windshield; wrong shape of front fuselage and air intakes; no exixtent  LDG bays; short (to say the least) exhaust;  toy like cockpit and bang seat;....

Frech Firm "Renaissance" sells a complete set of resin parts and vaucoform canopy;

http://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/index.php/avions-toutes-echelles/echelle-1-48/produits/902-amd-ba-mirage-f1-1-48

Edited by F-104ASA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2018 at 8:18 AM, Ben Brown said:

Ben

Don't forget the very soft detail, which I have seen in EVERY Kitty Hawk kit I own. At least Trumpy & Hobby Booboo have crisp detail, to go with their inaccurate kits.

Just my 2¢.

Larry

• Like 1

If you guys have not seen Kinetic's new standard, I strongly suggest withholding judgement until you do.  Their M347 trainer (or whatever it's called) is breathtaking.  The fit is the equal of Tamiya and the surface detail is reminiscent of Eduard and Tamiya.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sonoran said:

If you guys have not seen Kinetic's new standard, I strongly suggest withholding judgement until you do.  Their M347 trainer (or whatever it's called) is breathtaking.  The fit is the equal of Tamiya and the surface detail is reminiscent of Eduard and Tamiya.

Given Kinetic's (As well as Kitty Hawk's, Trumpeter's & Hobby BooBoo's) abysmal track record, I just can't afford to waste my limited finances on their stuff anymore. I will still plod along with their kits that I already have, and try to make something out of them that I am satisfied with. 😯

Larry

The Italeri (aka Esci) kit has crisp recessed panel lines.  IMHO, the areas it lacks in detail is the office and nozzle, both fixed easily w resin, for less than the price of the KH kit.

8 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Given Kinetic's (As well as Kitty Hawk's, Trumpeter's & Hobby BooBoo's) abysmal track record, I just can't afford to waste my limited finances on their stuff anymore. I will still plod along with their kits that I already have, and try to make something out of them that I am satisfied with. 😯

Larry

Apparently you didn’t read my post, did you?  Their new stuff is *nothing* like the old stuff.  I’ve held the parts in my hand and played with the fit of the parts.  It’s every bit the equal of Tamiya or Eduard.  No skin off my nose if you are so set in your ways that you’re completely unwilling to see the evidence in front of your face.  Have fun building the 1977 ESCI kit.

47 minutes ago, j-fever said:

The Italeri (aka Esci) kit has crisp recessed panel lines.  IMHO, the areas it lacks in detail is the office and nozzle, both fixed easily w resin, for less than the price of the KH kit.

As long as the list of major inaccuracies it has doesn’t bother you.

SMH...

I guess you guys all drive cars from the 1970s eh?  

Edited by Sonoran
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sonoran said:

Apparently you didn’t read my post, did you?  Their new stuff is *nothing* like the old stuff.  I’ve held the parts in my hand and played with the fit of the parts.  It’s every bit the equal of Tamiya or Eduard.  No skin off my nose if you are so set in your ways that you’re completely unwilling to see the evidence in front of your face.  Have fun building the 1977 ESCI kit.

As long as the list of major inaccuracies it has doesn’t bother you.

My apologies,  I should have been more specific.

I did read it, you are right,  I totally hope the Kinetic kit is awesome,

IMHO in comparison to the KH kit the "olde" Esci/Italeri kit might be a good alternative and looks more like the F.1? 

Thank you. 🙂