Albatross, Get Your Albatross Here!

4 minutes ago, wamwig said:

Hmmm possibly the dh93 Don?

Looking forward to the build on this as I have two in the stash (intend building them as an Imperial Airways one and a RAF one)

I quite like the look of the Don but then everyone knows I have rather strange tastes!

I would like to do the model as "Fiona" but sadly do not have the necessary computer skills to do the different decals needed so it will have to be one of the options in the box.

Martian

• Like 2

Well the Don does have some lovely lines, particularly around the nose, but it was a truly awful plane, possibly the only one de H ever made? Have to declare a soft spot for de H as I worked at Hatfield, albeit in the restaurant at weekends and in school holidays although my father did 40 years there, for de H/HSA/BAe.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I quite like the look of the Don but then everyone knows I have rather strange tastes!

I would like to do the model as "Fiona" but sadly do not have the necessary computer skills to do the different decals needed so it will have to be one of the options in the box.

Martian

is that this one Martian?

VAL72129_4.jpg

I got the impression that was the one in the kit

If not I see no problem converting Fortuna if you have that ;)

Do you intend painting her silver or in Camouflage?

"Tired you must be young Seawalker..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't remember even hearing about this aircraft before, but as a High Wycombe native myself (Sir Geoffrey was born there) I've always had a soft spot for De Havilland aircraft! 

Ian

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wamwig said:

Hmmm possibly the dh93 Don?

Looking forward to the build on this as I have two in the stash (intend building them as an Imperial Airways one and a RAF one)

Yeah I'll give you that one - although it still has classic De Havilland lines in plan form.

Andrew

• Like 2

Hello Dear Martian,

Come ooooooonn, you already are a kind of Corsaircorp !!

So, the Tracker, the Hélix, the F-104, the target tug floatplane Roc now an Albatros plus the ones you did'nt tell us about....

Hats up to Mrs Martian, You're a Lucky man with a perfect lady Oh great galactic fleet admiral :P

Very good choice indeed, it's a very nice Aircraft but is there any Target tug version of this one ??

Could be interesting, just a joke !

I 100% agree on civilian version !

So may I have a seat and sip my BB in a the usual nasty corner ??

Great choice and super good start !

Have fun my friend ! That's the way !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting type I'm sure you will turn into a show winning example!

I'll sit quietly in the corner and watch and learn if you don't mind?

Roger

• Like 1

13 hours ago, perdu said:

is that this one Martian?

VAL72129_4.jpg

I got the impression that was the one in the kit

If not I see no problem converting Fortuna if you have that ;)

Do you intend painting her silver or in Camouflage?

"Tired you must be young Seawalker..."

Those are the decals for the camouflaged boxing of the kit. The civilian boxing I have is in overall silver and has the decals in a mid blue and are for Imperial Airways. Not having the kit immediately to hand I think the markings are for Frobisher and Falcon. It doesn't matter that much but I felt it would have been nice to finish the model as Fiona as a kind of tribute to a health professional who quite literally saved my skin when I was in a very bad place a number of years ago.

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Martian,

Come ooooooonn, you already are a kind of Corsaircorp !!

So, the Tracker, the Hélix, the F-104, the target tug floatplane Roc now an Albatros plus the ones you did'nt tell us about....

Hats up to Mrs Martian, You're a Lucky man with a perfect lady Oh great galactic fleet admiral :P

Very good choice indeed, it's a very nice Aircraft but is there any Target tug version of this one ??

Could be interesting, just a joke !

I 100% agree on civilian version !

So may I have a seat and sip my BB in a the usual nasty corner ??

Great choice and super good start !

Have fun my friend ! That's the way !

Sincerely.

CC

Alright, guilty as charged! I shall pass your kind comments on to the Martianess. Of course you are welcome although my hopes of you behaving yourself are bordering on the non-existent!

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Interesting type I'm sure you will turn into a show winning example!

I'll sit quietly in the corner and watch and learn if you don't mind?

Roger

Thanks Roger, the more the merrier. Not sure about a show winning example though, the model will be far to clean in the current "weather the thing to death" climate.

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Oooh, a Martian build of a Valom kit? I'm in! :popcorn:

Clearly we are in for some fun with you on board Ced!

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

A late starter but having waded through the airy persiflage & verbiage & figured out exactly what the go is. I'm in, I'll be sticking around. :)

Steve.

You are most welcome Steve although with some of the characters already signed up, together with my notorious inability to be sensible for more than a nano-second, waffle, thread drift and good old fashioned messing about are practically assured! :clown: I see that Corsaircorp has already got off to a flying start on that front!

Martian

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If you need any particular adaptation just define the situation

Do you mean to have the slimmer letters with the white outlines?

Easy

FIONA and Fortuna share the same background which appears to be 'same in both schemes' but if not tell me how

Simple graphics is easy

• Like 2

Thanks Bill. I have to leave for Oxford at the moment but I will scan the decal sheet when I get back to show you what I mean.

Martian

• Thanks 1

Albatross?

Rather appropriate for the Ancient Mariner I would have said. :P

This looks a bewitching subject Martian and I wish you the fond fettling of it. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Albatross?

This looks a bewitching subject Martian and I wish you the fond fettling of it. :thumbsup:

Do you speak about this one ??

Ot this one ?

Have a great time in Oxford oh great admiral

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:37, TheBaron said:

Albatross?

Less of the ancient please Baroness!

19 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Or not, it's cats and dogs here at the minute...:lol:

Managed to miss it. There was a thunder storm at Long Hanborough last night but we were in a quiz and then asleep so it didn't affect us. Lovely there today.

Martian

• Like 1

I will be watching this build avidly! what a beautiful aircraft it was...........and

I will be acquiring a couple of the Valom kits asap

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Norman said:

I will be watching this build avidly! what a beautiful aircraft it was...........and

I will be acquiring a couple of the Valom kits asap

Go for it. My initial impressions are that it will take a lot of care to get together well but that aside it will build into a great model.

Martian

• Like 1

On 20/04/2018 at 5:14 PM, Martian Hale said:

Its B$£%*y seabird flavour, what do you expect!

I was wondering who would be the first to come out with that one and why am I totally unsurprised that it was you Tim?

I will fair the nacelles in a bit but will leave it at that as I really don't want this to become a long and complicated build. The lack of detailed information on the type should prevent me being tempted down that road.

Martian

Oh, you know me to well, but a modicum of surprise would have been appreciated ;-)

I was about to offer you my “Fiona” decals, but then realised that was the one I was going to do (in camo). Sorry.

take care both.

tim

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fishbed said:

Oh, you know me to well, but a modicum of surprise would have been appreciated ;-)

I was about to offer you my “Fiona” decals, but then realised that was the one I was going to do (in camo). Sorry.

take care both.

tim

Tim, you and I both know that for me to express any degree of surprise would be an utter lie!

Martian

• Like 2

I'm in, too - always enjoy watching a bit of the Martian's lunacy skill.

If you have FROBISHER and FORTUNA, assuming they're the same font etc, you have an F, I, O, N & A, albeit with careful trimming.

Just saying.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Norman said:

Ordered mine with a set of interior yesterday!

Excellent, you should have fun.

5 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

"Two choc ices please"

I take it you are aware of the flavour.

48 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I'm in, too - always enjoy watching a bit of the Martian's lunacy skill.

If you have FROBISHER and FORTUNA, assuming they're the same font etc, you have an F, I, O, N & A, albeit with careful trimming.

Just saying.

You didn't have to cross out the lunacy bit Crisp, bonkers is good in Martian world and I could scarcely deny it.

I have thought of the cut and shut decal option and am trying to work out it I can do the same with the registration decals to get the M we need.

On the actual model front I glued the lower wings to the centre section this morning. As soon as they have set sufficiently to be moved, I will get some pictures up.

Martian

Martian

• Like 3

OK, as promised here are the pictures of where we are at with the wing assembly. Sorry about the delay in getting them to you but I really did not want to risk moving them until the glue was properly set. As yo can see, a lot of reinforcement has been taking place on the join between the centre section and the wings themselves. I have done a quick dry fit of the upper wing parts and they seem to be a reasonable fit. We will see if that still holds when we have got the cooling ducts and the rest of the wheel bays in place. All tentacles crossed on that one!

Thanks for looking 

Martian

006.jpg

005.jpg

• Like 13