1/72 Heller Vampire

Silver sprayed, and a few patches of Humbrol metallic silver handpainted to hide imperfections and give a slight appearance of panelling. 

29w4heq.jpg

2d7c2nc.jpg

• Like 3

Don't want to be seen as nitpicking but remember, these aircraft were painted silver not NMF so they should have a fairly uniform finish, no hint of panelling.

There will be some wear around often accessed panels but remember, these aircraft were in service when the RAF had plenty of manpower (National Service personnel in many cases), they would have been kept very clean (especially the OC's aircraft)!

RAuxAF units exhibited a high level of esprit de corps and kept their aircraft scrupulously clean (the only pictures I've seen of dirty RAuxAF aircraft were those on APC in Malta with a large amount of powder residue around the gun muzzles - you can bet they didn't stay that way for long).

At the end of the day though it's your model.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Undercarriage fitted well, although it's quite fiddly, being so small. 

34yct9j.jpg

I've ordered a set of 'RAF post-war serials and numbers' decals so I can choose pretty much any Vampire FB.5 (or 9!) now. And huge thanks to @Wez for a set of aftermarket Vampire markings: my next Vampire will definitely be from 613 (City of Manchester) Sqn RAuxAF (in camo)!

This one, I'm still undecided! At some point I want to do a green-finned 112 Sqn one too, I need more Vampires!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

And huge thanks to @Wez for a set of aftermarket Vampire markings

You're welcome, they're in the post, please let me know when they arrive.

Edited by Wez
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if 613 (City of Manchester) Sqn used the green & yellow bars (introduced in 1953) on its silver Vampires? 

I can only find photos of camouflaged ones with these roundel bars, the silver ones all seem to have code letters. But there aren't many photos around so not sure how good the evidence is.

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Does anyone know if 613 (City of Manchester) Sqn used the green & yellow bars (introduced in 1953) on its silver Vampires? 

I can only find photos of camouflaged ones with these roundel bars, the silver ones all seem to have code letters. But there aren't many photos around so not sure how good the evidence is.

A quick look on AB Pics only shows 613's silver Vampires with the Q3 codes, not the roundel flashes

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

No they didn't ,only on camouflaged aircraft.

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

Just to go back a bit, you asked about painting some of where you had filled to check the seam had disappeared. A lot of modellers prime the whole airframe, vehicle etc. to see if there are any issues with surface and as a key for the finish coats, especially important with acrylics. There are a number of primers available and if used correctly will not hide much in the way of surface detail. A nice model, the Heller Vampire was always one of their better kits. The only thing to watch is that the main undercarriage is a bit delicate (ask me how I know). 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mr T, I think I might try all over primer on my next kit.

I know what you mean about the undercarriage, the front oleo isn't the firmest either!

• Like 1