Museo del Aire, Madrid - Part 1

upnorth

Last week I tagged along with my girlfriend on one of her business trips; the trip send us to Madrid. While she had the meeting rooms, I had the city to myself for a few days and I put the Spanish air force museum in the Cuatro Vientos suburb of the city at the top of my itinerary.

Here in part one, I present to you some of the outdoor exhibits. The day I went was cold, windy and overcast; but I got some presentable shots:

yR4JhC2.jpg

smm3Hb9.jpg

QlmRq2Z.jpg

fp5iEyJ.jpg

BvxgEwR.jpg

Z8rhYk8.jpg

xvzEUZB.jpg

ZcsYzNw.jpg

ICRZUZJ.jpg

xJr4iYi.jpg

Kp0J4O1.jpg

ntw82Ac.jpg

F4Jclk1.jpg

7uiVMSf.jpg

r8wW9cv.jpg

IDH9xdH.jpg

r0J6CK1.jpg

bLLZoYS.jpg

zvmkkfZ.jpg

eDoNUl1.jpg

z3TC08l.jpg

7W77v9Y.jpg

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Looks like a very good collection of aircraft. Are the outside airfarmes re-painted regularly or do they look so fresh because of the pleasant Spanish weather, I wonder?

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Looks like a very good collection of aircraft. Are the outside airfarmes re-painted regularly or do they look so fresh because of the pleasant Spanish weather, I wonder?

Chris.  

Well, according to those pics, I can tell you for sure they're in better condition NOW than when they were on duty....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Chris.  

Quite a few looked like they had very recently been given fresh paint. The Viggen, MiG-21, F-104, Mirage III and one of the F-5 aircraft looked like they were all fresh from the paint shop. The Bell 47 they have outside looks fresher than the two 47s they have indoors.

Conversely, the Saab Lansen, P-3 Orion and Sukhoi Su-22 (all of which I felt too sorry for to take pictures of) really need some attention given to them. The P-3 particularly is a dire sight, it's quite incomplete and really should be taken indoors and out of public viewing until it's in some more presentable state.

Edited by upnorth

1 minute ago, upnorth said:

Quite a few looked like they had very recently been given fresh paint. The Viggen, MiG-21, F-104, Mirage III and one of the F-5 aircraft looked like they were all fresh from the paint shop.

Conversely, the Saab Lansen, P-3 Orion and Sukhoi Su-22 (all of which I felt too sorry for to take pictures of) really need some attention given to them. The P-3 particularly is a dire sight, it's quite incomplete and really should be taken indoors and out of public viewing until it's in some more presentable state.

Is the Dornier Do24 still langishing in the middle of a rotten pond...??????

I remember that derelict old lady, standing there, still proud of her glorious past, when hundreds of military and civilian castaways were rescued from the sea....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Artie said:

Is the Dornier Do24 still langishing in the middle of a rotten pond...??????

I remember that derelict old lady, standing there, still proud of her glorious past, when hundreds of military and civilian castaways were rescued from the sea....

I didn't see the Do24 on my visit. According to the information leaflet I got when I entered the museum, it's kept indoors in hangar 6 these days.

I was there in 2004 or 2003. I see many new subjects. However the most interesting machines were insides. All old stuff from Spanish Civil War like He-111 and many smaller. And even older like long flights Bregs XIX and Dornier Wal. There was also impressive collection of models in differenct scales, from 1;72 to 1:2. Have you done any photos inside?

I have my photos but they are old fashion non-digital photos... After my visit there I published my photos in a Polish aviation journal.

Regards

J-W

38 minutes ago, JWM said:

I was there in 2004 or 2003. I see many new subjects. However the most interesting machines were insides. All old stuff from Spanish Civil War like He-111 and many smaller. And even older like long flights Bregs XIX and Dornier Wal. There was also impressive collection of models in differenct scales, from 1;72 to 1:2. Have you done any photos inside?

I have my photos but they are old fashion non-digital photos... After my visit there I published my photos in a Polish aviation journal.

Regards

J-W

Yes, I did take some indoor pictures. They are in my "part 2" post.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...