Tips needed for finishing Albion AM463

I've recently started my first kit in over 30 years, and it's been fun. I now need some advice on finishing it.

I've built and painted the kit, but I don't have an airbrush. I'd like to weather the model, after adding the transfers. From what I understand, I'll need to gloss varnish it first.

Can I do this with a brush? And does anyone have any tips on where to look for techniques for weathering by brush?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/4d/e6/e34de680f4f0c47b8d8122b8d0dcaa06.jpg

The model looks pretty good Smithy... from the land of Way... :)

You're asking a question to which a whole book could be written in answer. 

Of course everyone practices weathering in his own way and uses different techniques. There's a whole array of effects / techniques to be mastered and you can even invent your own. Hopefully I can give you a few useful tips to start. 

• Most weathering is actually done by brush, I rarely use the airbrush for any weathering aspect. 
  • The 'oldest' types of 'weathering' may be the wash and the drybrush. Both are still widely used and are quite practical. 
  • Washes can be divided into 'general wash' and 'pinwash', the latter only regarding details of the model. 
  • You may want to start off with a pinwash. If you think about it, it's not really weathering but a bit like applying shadows. 
  • A pinwash can best be applied on a smooth, flat surface. Best to use gloss varnish as a base, I think that's what they meant. On Youtube search for 'pinwash' tutorials. 
  • Drybrush is also applied by brush. For that it's best to use a layer of matte varnish (after the pinwash has dried). On Youtube search for 'drybrush' tutorials. 
  • After this you could experiment with oil paints, to name an example. First try on a scrap piece of plastic. Use the tiniest of paint from a tube (try one sugar grain-sized bit of paint) and try tamponing it onto the model, varying from area to area so that tone nuances are developed. Use several colours for better effects. You can search for 'oil paint weathering' on Youtube. 

Good luck with this. 

One more thing: try to keep weathering to a minimum. If you think you can do juuust a little bit more, that's probably the best time to put things on hold and reconsider the next day. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Roy, that's incredibly useful advice! I think I'll have to give it a go. I think I'd like a bit of mud on this (it would have lived on an airfield) and some fuel spillages, that should do for a beginner at this!

I'm blown away by the standard of modelling these days. But after using vellejo paints, I started to see that painting is much less frustrating than it used to be.

That's a pretty good looking Albion - nice photography too - my top tip for weathering is common...

...if it looks like it needs a bit more - it usually doesn't - its actually perfect...

...if only I listened to myself more often ;)

I'll watch with interest and remember - HAVE FUN

Steve

• Like 1

Nice Albion! :thumbsup2:

Is that the Airfix 1/48?

BTW, I usually apply decals to vehicles by first brushing on a little Future (or other brushable gloss clear coat) just where I'll place the decal. It will need a flat clear coat after to seal it all, including the weathering, but that can come from a rattle can.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice Albion! :thumbsup2:

Is that the Airfix 1/48?

BTW, I usually apply decals to vehicles by first brushing on a little Future (or other brushable gloss clear coat) just where I'll place the decal. It will need a flat clear coat after to seal it all, including the weathering, but that can come from a rattle can.

Yes, it's the Airfix kit. I was quite impressed with the detail. It seemed a shame to hide the engine when Airfix had gone to so much effort, so I cut the bonnet in half so it could be open.

I should get on to the weathering next week. Looking forward to researching the techniques on YouTube!