1/48 Revell B-24 Liberator GR.V.

8 hours ago, ANovaScotian said:

You forgot to mention the most important thing... John "Jack" Muir was a Canadian.  That's right folks, the longest operational mission flown during the Second World War was done by a Canuck!!!  

Canada's Wings 2: Liberator and Fortress by Carl Vincent talks about the rather substantial number of Canadian flight and ground crews serving with the RAF in the CBI Theatre towards the end of the war; almost half of Liberator personnel were Canadian by the end of hostilites. 

Apparently several representatives from Consolidated visited the Liberator squadrons and were completely dumbfounded with how they were getting such long range from the aircraft!

My favourite excerpt from the book talks about the pilots flying out of Gander, Newfoundland.  The runway terminated at the edge of a cliff and with the Liberators overloaded with fuel and weapons, it was not the most enjoyable task.  As the story goes, A foreign officer was touring one of the squadrons and when he poked his head in the cockpit of one of the aircraft he commented to one of the Canadian officers about a button that was sewn on the seat cushion, to which the Canadian replied "The pilots sew those on there so they have something to hold on to during take off."

Great build by the way, I've always liked the Liberator.

I plan to recreate this aircraft in 1/72. Additionally, this scheme is offered in Eduard's Riders in the Sky special edition Liberator kit.

I used to work with a dude who's Dad was piloting Digby 747 when it attacked and sank U-520 in October 1942. He later went on to fly Liberators out of NFLD.

I, too am a Nova Scotian, now living far away from the East Coast.

Chris

• Like 2

19 hours ago, fingers said:

That is big and bl##dy beautiful I absolutely love it.

F.M. Halifax Bolton Paul rear turret transparency with scratchbuilt internal gubbins for the Quickboost B.P. Defiant .303 machine guns.       Any details on this part of the build?

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks.

The transparency was left over from my Halifax build a couple of years ago. It was my first atempt at a vacform transparency and I botched it up a bit and used the spare. Luckily, I didn't throw this one out, just don't look too close.

Basically I made a plinth out of bits of styrene to which I glued the gun barrel assemblies (QB48756) and mounted everything on a floor inside the turrett.  The guns rotete up and down on the inner tube. Hopefully this'll show you better what I mean.

BP tail turrett gubbins

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tonyot said:

Wow you`ve done a superb job on this one Gaz,..... a really special model! Love the BP rear turret too,...... well done getting hold of the bits and pieces needed. This aircraft is one of the options in the very pricey Eduard kit too,....... is this one of the pics used as reference,... this copy coming from my own reference files;

39735292120_dfd8b20ebc_b.jpg354 Squadron BZ862-A. Later serving with 160 Sqn as J it flew a 23hr 3min round trip flight Minneriya-Malaya & returned on 29th July 1945 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

This aircraft flew from Minneriya to Malaya and return on the 29th July 1945, taking 23 hours 3 minutes,.... as you say, a record at the time.

I would add one thing which would make it look even better,..... just add a frame line to the pilots side window, as per the pic of this RCAF Lib...     

Image result for liberator raf  

Don`t worry about the bulged window,.....some had flat glazing too! 

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Many thanks....it's your fault you know aye ! :laugh:

Yes that's exactly the photo I've been talking about and I'm glad you posted it.  

Right, I'll get onto the window frame, hopefully this evening.    Windows done :).

B-24 Pilot Window

I was in 2 minds about the window bulge, but because it was supplied flat I decided to run with that. 

Also, while we're at it, do you have any info you could share on KL611 please ?  At this stage it's likely to be my next project based on the photo of it sitting in the scrapyard. If it's got nose art I might be a bit of a quandry.

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg
Picture added.

12 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Hi Kiwitrogg, what a great finish on this model, well done, did you buy the paint by the gallon?

Thanks.........I used less paint doing the ceilings !!! :laugh:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

Hi Tony

Many thanks....it's your fault you know aye ! :laugh:

Yes that's exactly the photo I've been talking about and I'm glad you posted it.  

Right, I'll get onto the window frame, hopefully this evening.    Windows done :).

B-24 Pilot Window

I was in 2 minds about the window bulge, but because it was supplied flat I decided to run with that. 

Also, while we're at it, do you have any info you could share on KL611 please ?  At this stage it's likely to be my next project based on the photo of it sitting in the scrapyard. If it's got nose art I might be a bit of a quandry.

Cheers

Gaz

Haha,..... hey don`t drag me into this,...... lol!! It looks much better with the extra frame line,...... and you`ve got me pondering a big white coastal Lib now!! 

Re KL611,.... I don`t know much more than the photo you`ve already seen,..... so cannot really help mate sorry. Some of the units aircraft had light blue crosses on the rudder rather than white and this one may have been one of then, especially considering its night role,...... so worth considering. 

Image result for kl611 liberator

Another night finshed Lib was KL629 `X' of 99 Sqn,.....LIKE kl611 it was a late variant with the long rectangular bulged window in the nose and glazed waist windows, I want to model this one in 1/72nd scale but cannot get hold of the Academy/Minicraft B-24L or M kits which have the correct parts. It would have been delivered in bare metal,.... so the uppers are more likely to be Dark Earth and Dark Green rather than overall Olive Drab. 

I won`t hog any more of your thread,...... well done again on your superb Lib,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, tonyot said:

I won`t hog any more of your thread,...... well done again on your superb Lib,

Cheers

Tony

All good Tony, you were invited to hog, and your opinions welcomed. :)

Thanks to everyone who commented and 'liked'.

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg
  • Like 1

What a great build, love the size of this model. I find it fun working on larger aircraft but haven't done anything this big yet. 

The x-rays are really cool, how or where did you take these?

• Like 1