First time with resin...

planehazza

and man am I wondering what I got myself into. Straight away I can see the detail improvement, but fitment is going to be a major pain.  I think I won't bother with them again, not unless they're going on a larger kit.  Half of the details won't be seen; I mean, what is the point in acetate guages on dials this small?!  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6kIkfpSfNrXOc5yQ2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9jrVBaYrG5bTN10p2

You are never going to see those dials in a million years in 1/48.  

Anyways, enough newby whining... 

Any tips for a resin newbie? Wash with IPA or soapy water first? Prime all parts? Will PVA glue be strong enough to hold the acetate and PE panels to the resin dash? Normal CA for all other PE/resin joints?

Does anyone know of a blogg/build thread where a 1/48 F-16C has had a resin cockpit installed step by step?

Aires resin cockpit sets... Never again. I've spent the last 3 hours shaving the plastic part to accept the resin tub. Still cannot get it to fit well. Any tips?

Honestly tempted to just contact tamiya and request a replacement part and stick to stock. Maybe use the PE parts to spruce up the stock tub and just bin the resin bits. Shame but at it was only £11 and not silly money...

Can't help with the resin stuff myself, other than to say wear a mask as the dust is carcinogenic, and to sympathise. A second hand kit I bought a couple of years ago had an aftermarket resin ejector seat included and it took hours to fit the bloody thing, even though it was intended for that particular kit. I think I read somewhere that this is supposed to be a pleasurable and relaxing hobby and resin seemed to be more like work. Too much of a pain in the rear end, and has put me off using it ever since.

Aires resin is beautiful, but a pain to mount, because, as you mention, a lot of dry fitting, sanding (fuselage and resin parts) is necessary to get a good fit. I think it's because of the thickness of the plastic, because in reality, the walls aren't that thick. On the other hand, somebody will say that the cockpit is underscale when it's made to fit directly... 

An F-16 has a large canopy, so some dials "can" be visible. Just paint the surface for the dials white (kit part or resin part), prepaint the PE, use some thinned PVA to glue the acetate film to the PE, then you have time to line it all up. then pick up the pieces and do the same to align the instruments. PVA is strong enough, but when force is applied from the sides it gets loose. When not sure you can add a bit of CA at the borders (place a drop thin CA on a carrier, take a small copper wire (0.1mm), pull it through the CA and touch the borders of the pieces, that should do it, without getting a lot of gluestains. Eventually you can add a PVA-drop in the holes of the dials and let them dry to fill them up a bit and replicate the glass again.

Ordering a replacement from tamiya san is expensive... Once started, there's almost no way back

• Thanks 1