Short Belfast - ground clearance height?

bootneck

I've reached the stage in my build, of a WM Short Belfast, where the wheel assemblies need fitting, but I don't know the underbelly clearance height.  I could estimate from the instruction sheet but this is not to scale.  Can anyone please assist with details of the definitive measurement?

Thanks

Mike

48 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I've reached the stage in my build, of a WM Short Belfast, where the wheel assemblies need fitting, but I don't know the underbelly clearance height.  I could estimate from the instruction sheet but this is not to scale.  Can anyone please assist with details of the definitive measurement?

Thanks

Mike

Mike, I cannot give it to you in feet/inches/metric as it depends on freight/fuel load carried etc but I do recall that a crew changed a main wheel at Luqa back in the sixties and tried to roll it under the fuselage.  It got slightly stuck but a well aimed boot shifted it.  So I would say that the height would be 1 x main wheel diameter plus or minus a bit.

Attached a shot of subject "Belf" :-

hHXNf8r.jpg

HTH

Dennis

• Like 4

Hi Dennis,

The model will represent an unladen aircraft so, unless more defiintive information comes to light,  1 x main wheel diameter plus or minus a bit it is then.  :rofl:

Mike

Mike, I am not sure how much it helps but Flight quoted 5ft 2.45in as the height of the sill and load floor above the ground and had scale drawings.  I emailed the pages to you.

David

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  Martin, I was going to guestimate at 3.1ft (6.5mm at 1:144 scale) but your info of 2.5ft (5.3mm at 1:144 scale) would be more accurate.  Yes please to a scan of the page.

Thanks.

Mike

Nice picture, isn't the Cosford Belfast up on small jacks to relieve the oleos so might not help Mike with his guesstimations   :(

Is that my foot over to the left in front of the Hastings?

I think it might be, there deep in the shadows...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice picture, isn't the Cosford Belfast up on small jacks to relieve the oleos so might not help Mike with his guesstimations   :(

Is that my foot over to the left in front of the Hastings?

I think it might be, there deep in the shadows...

Fair point about the jacks and does your foot follow me around? ^_^

6 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Mike, I cannot give it to you in feet/inches/metric as it depends on freight/fuel load carried etc but I do recall that a crew changed a main wheel at Luqa back in the sixties and tried to roll it under the fuselage.  It got slightly stuck but a well aimed boot shifted it.

Dennis

Technical information doesn't come better than this!

I would agree with Perdu about the Cosford Belfast, the oleos have collars fitted.

Not sure about his foot though!

To be fair (to me) my foot was frequently nailed into the footprint of the space below the nose of Cosford's Hastings

Over there, at the back, just by the BMP

I thought I caught a tyre saving jack too as well as oleo protection, but probably wrong on that

I do know the Hastings u/c was well lifted under the main wheel leg's feet

😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very much look forward to seeing the end result Mike. I did mine about twenty years ago and I think it is well overdue for a deep check! Of course you know that as soon as you finish yours and perhaps mine gets a makeover, Roden  (please) or some other will come up with a nice injection jobby. I have discounted the Anigrand as too expensive and unconvincing in shape and details. Good luck with the build. 

Keith. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Britman said:

...... you know that as soon as you finish yours and perhaps mine gets a makeover, Roden  (please) or some other will come up with a nice injection jobby.

I wish!  :pray: 

I have learned so much, whilst doing this build, about the aircraft; painting and decalling, that I would like to build another at some stage.  Second time around should make less errors and, if was anything other than vacform, shouldn't have the fit problems I encountered by over sanding.

Mike

• Like 2