The trick to weathering is to remember the aircraft (or tank, or ship) was new once, and nicely turned out.  Time in maintainence or a few non-flying days could also lead to a clean up.

In other words, Too little weathering tends to look better than too much.

Thats looking good Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Robert, I quite like that analogy. I would say I’m an advocate of the ‘less is more’ approach, however I tend to err on the lesser side a little too often. I’m sure it will all tone done again when the Matt coat is applied. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

Update #14 - Truscott takes to the air! 

Summer 1941 - Relatively fresh from the Castle Bromwich factory is Spitfire MkIIa serialed P7973, coded UD:N. AFAIK, this aircraft was Truscott’s first mount before 452 Squadron converted to Vb’s a little later on in the year. 

Although the decal instructions depict the spinner and fuse band in Sky, a number of profiles of late show many Mk.II’s with these areas painted Sky Blue. As no period photographs exist of this particular aircraft, I’ve elected to also go the Sky Blue route. This will probably end up the only Mk.II I’ll build so the blue adds a bit more colour to the typical scheme we all know so well. 

Rear Antenna wire is Uschi .0001 (probably needs a few more zeros I think !). When applying it, it’s virtually invisible to the human eye  and curls and stretches in every which way that you don’t want it to go. An Optimiser, CA and good tweezers are essential and you’d better fore warn the family that a few colourful words might also be mentioned whilst handling this extremely frustrating material. Overall though, it’s scale thickness is very nice and with added confidence one should happily tackle a HP 0/400 in quick style. 

I’ll wait until the Vb is finished before this Spit enters the GB gallery, so until then I’ll let ‘Bluey’ board his steed so that he can start racking up the first of his 16 air-air victories. 

Cheers.. Dave 

42890299701_97bf0c2534_b.jpg

28021217137_f373afc94b_b.jpg

29018047258_3cda57a47e_b.jpg

28021112307_2cff03546c_b.jpg

42842099522_9802d1fea0_b.jpg

• Like 13

Update #14 - back to the Vb

So while Truscott is busy taking it to the enemy, Thorrold-Smith is getting a little testy and is pushing me to finish off his kite!! I’ve given myself a ‘soft’ deadline of 30 June so let’s see how close I get. 

Tamiya’s general RAF top colours have been applied as IMO their Ocean Grey is not that bad a match - the five other manufacturer tins of OG I have are all quite dark and have no hint of ‘blue’ that seems to be prevalent. I still don’t think it’s right, but I’ll press on a see how it ends up. 

Still need to paint the yellow leading edges, then gloss, then decals. The undersides also need a slight touch up, but nothing major. 

Cheers.. Dave 

28080843727_aaf84166f2_b.jpg

42950333811_755e9896dc_b.jpg

28080856867_395cc40402_b.jpg

29077344478_ed1abf157c_b.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks for the kind comments fellas - I truly appreciate it. 

Now I did give myself a fairly 'soft' target of 30 June to finish off the Spitfire Vb, however we all know that's now been and gone. To be honest, I did come close, however there's just a few minor bits to go so I'd better not rush it and wreck it now. Here are some photos taken earlier during the decal stage. I've since weathered and applied a matt coat, however it's dark now so I'll take more photos when the sun rises and this Spit Vb is all finished. I also made a late decision to order a set of canopy masks, however these have yet to arrive, so it will be Monday at the earliest before I can paint these parts - I always leave the least favourite bits to the end!  

Anyway - I'll hopefully wrap this all up in the next update. 

Cheers.. Dave 

29291959118_f8155a57e7_b.jpg

43158803552_4d498e4ac0_b.jpg

29337008258_2eb93c9943_b.jpg

• Like 9

Beautiful work on these Spitfires, Dave, and I had to remind myself that they are in 1/72 and not full size. I am definitely a fan of the 'factory finish' look so only mild weathering gets my vote. These will definitely get many 'flies round the room'! Excellent! Cheers. Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the additional comments gents - it all helps one get through to reach the finish line. 

Well as promised, this next update will be the last. I'm not overly happy with the photo shoot I had this morning, so will reattempt to take better photo's tomorrow. Here are some pics of the Vb which shows that I've finally finished it. It's been pretty close to the end for a few weeks, however I've procrastinated over the final bits and fiddly pieces whist also cracking open two Airfix Beaufighters!!  

Cheers.. Dave  

42802065194_28bcc42bfe_b.jpg

42613984805_c68bc69b65_b.jpg

• Like 2

Final WIP Update! 

Here's a few better photos taken with my son's camera. There's more pics of both Spits and a small presentation board in the GB Gallery. 

Special thanks to @Robert Stuart for being an encouraging host and of course Enzo for putting these GB's together in the first place - so much fun.  

It was nice to honour just a small sample of the large 'Colonial Contribution' that took part in the European theatre of operations during WW2.

Tragically both Keith Truscott and Raymond Thorrold-Smith were to die during early 1943, a sad fate which befell many fine serviceman during this turbulent period.  

Cheers and thanks for following, commenting or just casually browsing over the last few months .. Dave 

20180721_141639

20180721_142108

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 5 years later...
On 24/4/2018 at 09:22, Rabbit Leader said:

Aggiornamento n.3

Solo un rapido aggiornamento e mostriamo che questi tre kit iniziano ad assomigliare alla forma familiare che tutti conosciamo e amiamo. I kit Airfix hanno bisogno di un po' di attenzione nella costruzione per far sì che le parti si adattino correttamente, tuttavia niente di eccezionale: siamo tutti modellisti, no? 

Quando ho tolto uno dei tettucci Mk.1a dallo sprue ho tolto un po' troppa plastica trasparente dal lato, ma non abbastanza da darmi fastidio. Pertanto, questo mi ha fatto decidere come finire il terzo Spit. Sarà uno dei primi due blader Mk.1 e potrebbe anche essere la caratteristica di un altro aereo (a tema simile) a doppia costruzione 100esimo GB. 

Domani ho ancora un altro giorno libero dal lavoro (ANZAC day), quindi farò un altro aggiornamento una volta terminata la giornata di modellistica. 

40950723324_ba968652df_b.jpg

27795813908_9d81656e57_b.jpg

39854120690_f92bf46784_b.jpg

Ed ecco un tempestivo video YouTube dell'Anzac Day che commemora il contributo della RAAF al teatro europeo. All'interno sono presenti Bluey Truscott e il 452 Squadron. 

(Scusate, sembra che questo video non sia più disponibile?)

Saluti... Dave. 

Good morning. I wanted to build a Spitfire MkII with the UD*A insignia because the place where I live in Italy is called Udine and its acronym is UD…Did it exist? Or at least is there documentation? the alternative would be the UD*W with Hu29-30-23 coloring (artistic sub-license). Is the Eduard box in 1/48 a "false friend"?

8 minutes ago, Mass Mara said:

Good morning. I wanted to build a Spitfire MkII with the UD*A insignia because the place where I live in Italy is called Udine and its acronym is UD…Did it exist? Or at least is there documentation? the alternative would be the UD*W with Hu29-30-23 coloring (artistic sub-license). Is the Eduard box in 1/48 a "false friend"?

Not sure if a UD:A existed, I would assume so, but best to do a search online for No. 452 Squadron Spitfires. This was the DK decal sheet I took the codes from. UD:W certainly did exist. 

Spit452_navod_1.jpg

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1