Special dedicated kit build with sponsor 2018 (The Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang) chat

9 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

What an excellent selection of models in the gallery! :thumbsup:     There are even a couple of racers!

Yes, tell me about! I said the same yesterday morning - but my post hasn't materialised somehow!  

Anyway guys, sorry for being so quiet back here - been very busy in the lead up to silly season! But, yes a great selection of models - Great effort!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon

This Gb was a very good idea but I think that next time (if there is a next time ) I will vote for another kit ..

I  feel I must explain my comment : altough the P 51D Mustang is one of my favourite aircraft and altough I have already built around a dozen of Airfix kit I really think that it is not the best of recent Airfix kits : the UC legs were bent on almost all the kits I had built , the fit of the windshield is far from perfect , the control column and radio mast antenna are too much easyly breakable ...

Patrice

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

This has been a great GB with a wide variety of finished models, I really like the racers. Thanks to @Enzo Matrix and @thepureness for getting things organised and Jadlam for stepping up as sponsors and for offering discounted kits. Great job guys. 

Absolutely no worries, more than happy to get involved. Infact we would be happy to do them more often - Happy to support with a £10 Starter kit like this build, or give you a cracking deal on a £100 Tamiya model (We dont look to profit from the sale of these kits, simply cover costs to get them to you.)

Personally I like these GB's where everybody does the same kit, it results in the great variety we have seen here with the Racers etc, but open to any suggestions.

So, If anybody wants to go again then just shout out what you want to do and I'll see if we can pull things together.

Also, thanks again to @Enzo Matrix and @thepureness.

Russ

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JadlamRacingModels said:

Absolutely no worries, more than happy to get involved. Infact we would be happy to do them more often - Happy to support with a £10 Starter kit like this build, or give you a cracking deal on a £100 Tamiya model (We dont look to profit from the sale of these kits, simply cover costs to get them to you.)

Personally I like these GB's where everybody does the same kit, it results in the great variety we have seen here with the Racers etc, but open to any suggestions.

So, If anybody wants to go again then just shout out what you want to do and I'll see if we can pull things together.

Also, thanks again to @Enzo Matrix and @thepureness.

Russ

Thanks for your support with the GB. I’m up for round 2!

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with @TEMPESTMK5's comments on some of the shortcomings of the kit in general I found the fit of parts to be accurate and positive the general tolerances and mating of the major components left little in the way of filling and remedial work for the modeller. the shape is accurate and as an experience would be happy to build another.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just out of Curiosity when will we know the Final decision from the Judge ? 

Dennis

I'll be emailed Russ to ask the team at Jadlam to pick a winner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/09/2018 at 10:08, thepureness said:

I'll be emailed Russ to ask the team at Jadlam to pick a winner

That's difficult... because we're all winners :yahoo:I had so much fun and there was so much joy in building the P-51 that I will most certainly build more of them. V-P

• Like 5

My only regret was not making it to the finish line (it’s been a bit of a theme this year). Interesting concept for a GB and fascinating to watch all the other builds come together - did anybody get the control column off in one piece?

16 minutes ago, Avereda said:

My only regret was not making it to the finish line (it’s been a bit of a theme this year). Interesting concept for a GB and fascinating to watch all the other builds come together - did anybody get the control column off in one piece?

Good morning Avereda

This year I have built 3 Airfix Mustangs and managed to break the control column on all 3 ...

And I think it is better not to mention the mast of the radio antenna and the undercarriage legs ... but it is a nice kit and I have already built a dozen ...

Cheers

Patrice

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

And I think it is better not to mention the mast of the radio antenna...

I’m still trying to figure out how to deal with that one

6 hours ago, Avereda said:

I did - with photographic evidence to mark the occasion :D

Use a razor saw to part from the sprue, sawing well away from the stick itself to avoid stress, then use a sharp knife to carefully carefully carve away the gate.

The antenna was a big blob of plastic and beyond saving though. It is a simple enough shape so I cut and carved a new from sprue.

20 hours ago, Avereda said:

I did only for it to break later as I removed the cockpit masking. The radio aerial snapped even with me using a saw. Replaced it with a scratch built item. 

On 10/5/2018 at 1:25 PM, uncletommy said:

Not me.      :shrug:

Yup, one of these will help:

44623003231_e295d9ef60_b.jpg

Proof thereof: (and yes the invisible pilot is banking her as evidenced by the stick position...you in the back tittering, I said "banking ")

43441115295_2408920de4_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5