Special dedicated kit build with sponsor 2018 (The Airfix 1/72 P-51D Mustang) chat

Hi everyone

I've been in contact with Enzo and one of our previous sponsors back in the 2016 MTO GB Jadlam racing models, you will remember the huge donation of kits for prizes, 

Russ at Jadlam contacted me the other day with the experience of the GB being so good he wanted to get involved again in sponsoring GBs on britmodeller again. Speaking with what they would like to arrange here is a dedicated build GB on a certain kit. The example we used was the new 1/48 Tamiya BF 109 G6 but the purpose of this post is to look at different alternatives and potentially vote on which kit is built. 

What Russ and the Jadlam team wanted to do was see a model contest where everyone has a clean slate and modellers of all levels of skill are working on the same base kit, no aftermarket can be used but scratch building is permitted. 

Russ was very keen to get involved in the GB by doing a couple of things, the first being a special price for the kit we choose (potentially as low as trade plus post) and prize/s

He would have to stock the kit in question, they stock Airfix, Revell, Italeri, Zvezda, Tamiya and cyber hobby

Enzo and the admins have given special permission to include this in 2018 GB calendar should we get the minimum of 20 people taking part and dates are TBC

What I would like to do now is get the names of everyone that would like to take part first and also members giving open ideas on which kit we use. 

OK, further updates to the GB, This will take place for six weeks from the 11th of August to the 22nd of September.

As for rules, these are below.

1. The only kit that can be built is the Airfix P-51D in 1/72 scale in any of the boxings either re-issued or previous boxings (The newly tooled kit from 2012)

2. All aftermarket parts, decals and scratch build can be used, the purpose of the GB is to see how modellers of different skills can tackle the same kit.

3. Members that would like to take part can purchase the kit with a 10% discount from the Sponsor www.Jadlamracingmodels.com using the discount code A55107 https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/airfix-a55107-mustang-p51-d-starter-size-1-72-aircraft-model-kit/

4. More to follow

updated list of members that put their names down (members with a "kit required" message next to their name means they require the kit and will grab theirs of Jadlam)

1. Thepureness (kit Required)

2. LostCosmonauts

3. Avereda (kit required)

4. Col

5. Black Knight (kit required)

6. Robert Stuart (kit Required)

7. Nimrod54 (kit required)

8. Ratch (kit required)

9 . Hockeyboy76 (kit required)

10. corsairfoxfouruncle

11. MarkSH (kit required)

12. Vvpelt (kit required)

13. Angus Tura (kit required)

14. Tempestmk5

15. arneic

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

Hmm, could we interesting.

It'd be nice to use a low cost kit, maybe newer mould Airfix under a tenner?

That may well generate interest with all skill levels?

Rick.

Was thinking about the airfix 1/72 spitfire 1a.

Phil

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thepureness said:

What Russ and the Jadlam team wanted to do was see a model contest where everyone has a clean slate and modellers of all levels of skill are working on the same base kit, no aftermarket can be used but scratch building is permitted. 

By "no aftermarket", I assume that means parts, not decals? 

One of my suggestions was for the forthcoming Airfix Wellington, but the price - even with a discount - might deter some people. 

On behalf of Jadlam's International clientele can I ask if overseas modellers are permitted to join in? I realise that postage will ultimately be more expensive however this may be a trade off if the VAT is reduced as well. 

I too agree that a newer tooled kit (such as the Welly) would generate more interest, however don’t really know what ‘smaller and cheaper’ type kits are due to be released this year that would harbour better sales potential. 

When should we expect Special Hobby’s range of NF Meteors and is this something that Jadlam can get their hands on? 

Sounds interesting but I’d have to know a little more first before I commit to this one. 

Cheers.. Dave

Id consider joining in if the $ price was low which rules out anything except 1/72 or older molds from Tamiya out. Also Zvezda is not easy to get a hold of here as i cant always purchase online. 

I can understand and actually like the no A/M parts rule ? But if A/M or stash Decals are out. Youre going to get X # of models in identical markings?  To me thats not a very attractive idea to encourage sign-ups ? Actually it sadly comes across as very boring? 

10 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That is the general idea. As it's all in the early stages at the moment, we're trying to judge support.

With resect that doesn't come across in the OP. It just says Jadlam would have to stock the kit. Without knowing the options its difficult to commit to a blind build.

Ok, what I'm going to do is in order to get something of a theme. The subject will be a 1/72 or 1/48 aircraft with the top price being £25 maximum. 

What I would like us to do first is nominate an aircraft, then we'll take a selection of kits that we can run with and vote. 

I do like the idea of everyone building the same model. :thumbsup:

Judging by some of the comments above it would be fair to have something like Airfix's new tool 1/72 Spitfire Ia or their 1/72 Typhoon Mk.IB. (Or any of their 1/72 new tool range for that matter). They are fairly easily obtainable and can be found quite cheaply on a range of websites. It would also mean that people who mainly build AFVs, Ships, Vehicles, etc. might be tempted to join if they're not having to spend too much money or time trying to get hold of the chosen kit. Just my :2c:

Kind regards,

Stix

Ok people

I'm going to start of with listing 6 kits that we can look at, focusing on price that Jadlam could do them for and kits that have been suggested, i'll run this for a few days before putting a vote on the kit we choose. Any more ideas please comment

My examples

1. Airfix 1/72 Junkers JU87B2/R2 (£11.95 before discount)

2. Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter 100 years of service edition (£17.95 before discount)

3. Tamiya 1/48 Messerscmitt BF-109 G6 (£28 after discount, Russ has already priced this up)

4. Airfix 1/72 Mosquito kit number A03019 (£11.95 before discount)

5. Tamiya 1/72 IL-2 Stormovik (£21.95 Before discount)

6. Revell 1/48 Mosquito MK-IV (£22.74 Before Discount)

Options other members have given

1. Airfix 1/72 Spitfire any version (approx £9.99 before discount)

2. Airfix 1/72 Typhoon MK.1 (£9.99 before discount)

The Typhoon and Hunter get my vote as the others are either subjects that don't interest me or kits I'm not a fan of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

Airfix Spit

Airfix Typhoon

Airfix Hurricane

All 1/72

Rick.

The airfix hurricane wasn't on the list of options, otherwise it would have been on my list too.

Phil

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thepureness said:

... I'm going to start of with listing 6 kits that we can look at, focusing on price that Jadlam could do them for and kits that have been suggested, ...

Clarify a point for me please - are we supposed to buy our kits from Jadlam?