BA's Grand Old Lady - Boeing 767 G-BNWA in 1/144

G-BNWA was the first Rolls-Royce powered Boeing 767 to take to the air.  She was delivered to British Airways in 1990 and is still going strong at the age of 28 although I believe retirement is due later this year. Sister aircraft G-BNWB actually joined BA first but in terms of first flight date Whisky Alpha is BA’s oldest aircraft. Back in the summer of 2016 she took me from EDI to LHR and the enjoyable short flight reminded me that the current BA livery wasn’t represented in my collection so I dug out an old Revell kit and here is the result.

The Revell Boeing 767-300 was the kit that really got me started with airliners about 25 years ago.  It isn’t without its flaws (mainly affecting the engines) but it’s still one of my favourite airliner kits and forms the basis of a good model. It’s one of the few airliner kits where the fit is good enough for me to depart from my normal “stick it together and mask it” building and attach the wings after painting.

The build is pretty much OOB apart from some correction to the pylons on the Revell RB211s. For absolute accuracy these need total reworking but I contented myself with fixing the more obviously visible errors ahead of the wing. I also added strakes to the engines and a few small fairings to the fuselage.  It was necessary to tweak the panel lines in a couple of places to accommodate the eight door layout.

Paint is Halfords Appliance White, Fiat Capri Blue and Racking Grey with Tamiya and Revell metallics. Decals are by TwoSix and Authentic Airliners with Scaleliners corroguard.

Thanks for looking and as always constructive criticism is welcome.

Dave G

39687262400_90d848b26c_b.jpg

40602610975_d91c92d7c5_b.jpg

41454280782_9e098c8afe_b.jpg

39687701820_f8c7f397ee_b.jpg

27625139638_dba2f1205a_b.jpg

• Like 69
  • Thanks 2

Beautifully finished 76' Dave!

Wow that's some razor sharp masking between the white and blue! Nice to see you've used AA landing lights too.

I've got a Revell 767 on the bench which should be finished this year too. It was started years ago and never finished but I remember it's a good 'solid' kit with some nice crisp details.

Nice one!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks Ian.  I really like the Revell 763.  It's old school but with enough detail not to need major additional work apart from the engines.  Every time I start one I know I'm going to enjoy the build and hopefully get a good result.  What livery are you planning for yours?

Hell's teeth Dave, that's a cracking bit of eye-candy.  When these kits are built to this sort of standard, its hard to tell them apart from the Zvezda kit.

Quite often pick the BA767s up on flight radar on the shuttle services and sometimes catch them off to Italy (I think)

Chris.

• Like 1

That’s a cracker Dave-very nice indeed. A fitting tribute to this stalwart of the BA fleet. It will be a sad day when these birds are retired leaving just the yawn inducing A320 family serving the euro routes:sleepy:

Nick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

What livery are you planning for yours?

Hi Dave,

It was originally going to be Zoom but for some reason it got shelved then when LN decals brought out their Star Air decal I decided to dust it off and convert it to a -200. So it should look like this one :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14564106@N05/3612420566

I often used to see them flying over my house in the way down from Edinburgh to East Midlands.

Cheers,

Ian

First post I've opened tonight on BM and totally blown away by this build!

I've flown on a few but probably worked, or at least set foot on, nearly every BA 767 in my 24 years with the company, I changed fuel filters on NWZ prior to its first revenue flight, and NWF split my head open when the fan cowl hold open rod dropped down as the cowl was opened!. With the exception of the sadly departed 757, these beauties are without doubt favourites of mine, the aircraft carries off the company livery perfectly and is just a good looking jet, they're lovely to fly on as well. I'm not looking forward to the day when these no longer pass through Glasgow and are eventually never seen again, nothing else looks "just right".

Your build is absolutely stunning, beautifully finished and captures the fine lines of the jet "just right". A tremendous nod to this great aeroplane and a great piece of modelling, can't say more than that.

I've a Revell kit part built as a SAS aircraft and the Zvezda kit with decals for a BA bird..... which I'm now rather inspired to build.

Fantastic,

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 5

Absolutely stunning, livery looks really crisp and sharp, great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Cheers. Michael.               

• Like 1

Really nice Dave, I would like to build a BA 76 one day, love the 767 in this scheme. :thumbsup:

I too have a stalled Revell B763 on the bench. It is in the stages of being stripped at the moment as new decals have arrived for installation.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments everybody.  They are much appreciated and make it all worthwhile :)

On 4/16/2018 at 9:24 PM, phildagreek said:

Looks good! Very sharp scheme, do my eyes deceive me or is there some detail there in the cockpit?

It's the miracle of Authentic Airliners "photo real" windscreen and cabin window decals, probably the biggest single improvement in 1/144 airliner modelling in the last decade.  I've always been a user of window decals and I'm gradually retrofitting the best of my older models with AA windscreens. Most of the main types are now available but there are still some gaps, notably classic propliners.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:52 PM, Turbofan said:

Hi Dave,

It was originally going to be Zoom but for some reason it got shelved then when LN decals brought out their Star Air decal I decided to dust it off and convert it to a -200. So it should look like this one :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/14564106@N05/3612420566

I often used to see them flying over my house in the way down from Edinburgh to East Midlands.

Cheers,

Ian

I didn't know LN had covered Star Air.  The railway line between Dalmeny and South Gyle runs directly beside the cargo area at Edinburgh Airport and there is usually at least one Star Air 767 in evidence any time I pass.  Look forward to seeing it in due course.

On 4/16/2018 at 10:09 PM, eng said:

First post I've opened tonight on BM and totally blown away by this build!

I've flown on a few but probably worked, or at least set foot on, nearly every BA 767 in my 24 years with the company, I changed fuel filters on NWZ prior to its first revenue flight, and NWF split my head open when the fan cowl hold open rod dropped down as the cowl was opened!. With the exception of the sadly departed 757, these beauties are without doubt favourites of mine, the aircraft carries off the company livery perfectly and is just a good looking jet, they're lovely to fly on as well. I'm not looking forward to the day when these no longer pass through Glasgow and are eventually never seen again, nothing else looks "just right".

Your build is absolutely stunning, beautifully finished and captures the fine lines of the jet "just right". A tremendous nod to this great aeroplane and a great piece of modelling, can't say more than that.

I've a Revell kit part built as a SAS aircraft and the Zvezda kit with decals for a BA bird..... which I'm now rather inspired to build.

Fantastic,

Rgds,

Eng

Thanks for such a generous comment Eng.  Like many Scots we have family in London and we're up and down fairly regularly.  We usually use LCY but I'm hoping to get a final 767 flight before they leave the fleet.  The arrival of "densitised" Airbuses on the EDI-LHR run will be a good reason to stick to the Cityflyer Embraers!