DKM Graf Zeppelin Upgrades (53206 & 53207 for Trumpeter) 1:350

Mike

DKM Graf Zeppelin Upgrades (53206 & 53207 for Trumpeter)

1:350 Eduard

boxtop2.jpg

The Graf Zeppelin was one of those almost projects from Nazi Germany, who beforehand had dismissed aircraft carriers, and never fully committed to the concept even during construction.  Coupled with the loss of some of their important maritime assets and their lack of native coastline the Zeppelin was shelved, moved and finally abandoned before war's end, which possible gives part of the impetus to those that wonder what would have been.  There have been few kits over the years, until Trumpeter gave us their new tooling recently, and now we have Eduard producing their usual raft of sets this time sets 3 & 4 in round 2 to finish off improving the detail over and above what's in the box.

As usual with Eduard's Photo-Etch (PE) and Mask sets, they arrive in a flat resealable ziplok package, with a white backing card protecting the contents and the instructions that are sandwiched between.

Part 3 – Antennas & Island (53206)

Another large fret that also includes gun emplacements, details for the range-finders, searchlight upgrades, and platforms for the smaller gun mounts.  The antennae are of course present, as well as more in-scale solid upstands on the island; plus extra railings for the areas, and some skins for the floors; funnel details; a huge array of mast parts as well as antennae; a substantial replacement for one of the island parts with doors and windows etched out with a choice of open or closed doors that have integral frames; plus a few more railings!

53206.jpg

bin.jpg

Part 4 – Railings & Nets (53207)

This set contains two sheets of PE with a load more railings, some that replace the kit railings, but also new parts, detail under the nose of the deck; doors; cranes; stowage lockers; ladders and bracing wires for the fold-up masts at edge of the deck, and of course the nets to prevent cries of "Man overboard!".  More boat detailing that includes some kit surgery to replace the superstructure; pulleys, wires and railings for the crane; launch cradles and PE canopies for the Bf.109Ts, Fi.167s and Stukas that are included in the kit; and even a Kubelwagen and four Kettenkrads that you build up from 100% PE, all of which is laid out in easy-to-follow diagrams to ensure you don't mess up.  Those vehicles are the highlight of all the sets for me so I had to pinch the photos from Eduard's site to show you, although I wonder what the tracks of a Kettenkrad would do to the deck, even though they are rubberised.

53207-1.jpg

53207-2.jpg

vehicles.jpg

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1

But it was never completed, so no one knows what the real details would have been had it gone into action. It just struck me that usually you buy a detail set to improve the accuracy of your project, but in this case they are just educated guesses. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against that, and I have a Montana class battleship kit in my stash. 

The whole thing has an element of "what if" but many of the details were finalised and installed - structural gusset plates, etc

Sure, some could have been changed later and more added. The final detailed model is a "what if" by definition. Devoid of any detailing though, it's not really a "what if" and more a "definitely not that".