F4F-4 Wildcat

This is the Airfix starter set built as a "something to do in the final week of this trip at sea" project.

There's not much in the way of work in progress photos I'm afraid as the WiFi has been slower than usual meaning uploading photos to Flickr takes even longer than it usually does.

Lower surfaces have been painted with Mr Hobby 316, upper with Humbrol 27 enamel.

This is the first time I've sprayed enamel and it is a test run for a future project.

20180415_17415220180415_174252

• Like 6

Ok, so leaving the landing gear off until I'd painted the main body of the aircraft wasn't such a good idea. It doesnt go in. 😃Obviously why the instructions said to glue it in position before cementing the fuselage halves together. 😩

Oh well, another lesson learnt.

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear the landing gear is non-compliant. Is there anyway to modify them to fit ? Of course last option is to make it a flying model ?  The 1/48 Tamiya is the same way but breaks down into multiple (7 or 8) parts. I attached the bare minimum i need to close the fuselage on my Martlet build. Admitedly i was quite nervous about breaking that as well. In the end it turned out ok. Im hoping yours will as well. 

Dennis

48 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear the landing gear is non-compliant. Is there anyway to modify them to fit ? Of course last option is to make it a flying model ?  The 1/48 Tamiya is the same way but breaks down into multiple (7 or 8) parts. I attached the bare minimum i need to close the fuselage on my Martlet build. Admitedly i was quite nervous about breaking that as well. In the end it turned out ok. Im hoping yours will as well. 

Dennis

A flying model isn't possible Dennis as I have used the inboard parts of the wings for the wings folded version. I have however already done as you suggest and modified it to fit. Two parts have been removed, a bit of vigorous sanding and once the fuel tanks are disguising the wheel bays nobody will ever know. 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Looking good.

Is spraying enamels in the confines of your cabin a bit... you know... smelly?

Thanks very much Harry.

Yes it is a bit but I don't think there's much danger of anyone complaining, there's worse smells in the accommodation. 😂

Just seen this. What a neat little Wildcat. I love the way you have (almost) finished it. Colours and weathering look most impressive.

Looking forward to what promises to be a a very nice RFI.

Cheers

Terry

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Just seen this. What a neat little Wildcat. I love the way you have (almost) finished it. Colours and weathering look most impressive.

Looking forward to what promises to be a a very nice RFI.

Cheers

Terry

Thanks very much Terry.

It should hopefully be in RFI sometime over the weekend.

• Like 1