FAA Phantom 1/72

Just completed te new tool Airfix FG.1  I used the Aerocraft intake splitter plate set and they worked fine. I also used every stencil on the decal sheet. Took me about 4 to 5 evenings doing about 30 at a time.  The 1977 Jubilee flashes on the nose with the unit badge in place of the '77' donated by CTModeller and from a Fujimi kit.  To make it a little different I painted the underwing drop tanks in the odd ball fashion I saw in a few photos in my old Ian Allan hardback on British Phantoms. Found them to fit at an odd angle so I trimmed the tabs on the tanks so they would fit more in line of flight.

Anyway, hope you like the pics...

pnKlB3XDj

pmUaRqN2j

GjfXPQ.jpg

A8XL4g.jpg

TUJyRQ.jpg

bEso9S.jpg

4vPqS0.jpg

OmTL1v.jpg

VC1MgK.jpg

Still mystified why Airfix did the nose gear doors in clear plastic and total lack of any kind of detail:wonder::think::speechless:

• Like 66
  • Thanks 1

Looks terrific.  First one I've seen here and  I hope mine turns out a fraction as good as this although I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to the stencils.

I too have decals for the Jubilee markings, which I will be using, although in my case they are on a Modeldecal sheet.  I still have the celebratory mug we were all given at my school in commemoration of the event.  Can't believe it's so long ago.  You could get a Dinky Phantom FG.1 in those days that used to fire its spring loaded central drop tank (?!) at the press of a button.  Does anyone remember Flight Deck and Super Flight Deck?  Airfix produced I think.  I had both.  Super Flight Deck's Phantom was yellow for some strange reason.  You could catapult it off the deck then it would turn around and land on again with hook and arrestor wires.  It was, if I remember correctly, impossible to do!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looks terrific.  First one I've seen here and  I hope mine turns out a fraction as good as this although I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to the stencils.

I too have decals for the Jubilee markings, which I will be using, although in my case they are on a Modeldecal sheet.  I still have the celebratory mug we were all given at my school in commemoration of the event.  Can't believe it's so long ago.  You could get a Dinky Phantom FG.1 in those days that used to fire its spring loaded central drop tank (?!) at the press of a button.  Does anyone remember Flight Deck and Super Flight Deck?  Airfix produced I think.  I had both.  Super Flight Deck's Phantom was yellow for some strange reason.  You could catapult it off the deck then it would turn around and land on again with hook and arrestor wires.  It was, if I remember correctly, impossible to do!

Cheers for comments. 

I do recall the 'Flight Deck' that Airfix did. I remember seeing one demonstrated  at the Toy Fair when they were held in Brighton early 1970s!!

• Like 1

Beautifully done Paul. There is one some of these in my future but I don't have the kit(s) yet. Not sure I like the sound of all those stencils but they do lend something to the finished job for sure. :thumbsup:

Steve.

13 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I had a Super Flight Deck and, as you rightly say, it was nigh on impossible to land on safely! I think I probably got bored with it come Boxing Day & put it away!

Edge

8 hours ago, Edge said:

I had a Super Flight Deck and, as you rightly say, it was nigh on impossible to land on safely! I think I probably got bored with it come Boxing Day & put it away!

Edge

Yep, sounds about right.  I think the spring catapult broke on mine pretty quickly, rendering it useless anyway.

3 hours ago, kapam said:

Awesome Phantom!

You've done a great job, doing justice to the kit.

Makes me want to go out and buy one.  :clap2:

Thank you.   You should !;)

I like the oddball drop tanks.  I might be way off the mark but I'd assume a plane would get whatever tanks are available without much "artistic" attention being given to whether they match.  If my build skills were better I'd be inclined to paint odd bits in a primer colour to indicate hastily fitted replacements but it would me more likely to look like sloppy building.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

I like the oddball drop tanks.  I might be way off the mark but I'd assume a plane would get whatever tanks are available without much "artistic" attention being given to whether they match.  If my build skills were better I'd be inclined to paint odd bits in a primer colour to indicate hastily fitted replacements but it would me more likely to look like sloppy building.

thanks for your comments.  I have done similar 'oddities ' before.  When studying various photos of the subject I notice these anomalies and replicate them as best I can or just use a touch of artistic licence at the same time being authentic

• Like 1