underlay for Hornby OO track

Do any members have opinions on the merits of Hornby underlay?

Whilst I am attracted by the sleeper impression on their rolls of this stuff, I have about twenty metres of track to underlay.

Are there substitutes that members have used that are more economical?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Michael

The good thing about foam underlay is that it's easy to lay, and also provides some sound insulation.

Of personal taste is how realistic does it look, and are you happy with it? I've heard of people painting it to give some variety but you'd have to experiment first to check compatibility etc.

The problem is that it perishes, obviously that depends on your local climate (as in right down to how humid the room is) but it doesn't last for ever. I'd guess that with 20 metres, this is planned to be a lasting layout so that might be a consideration. Also, you're locked into a track system, because you need the turnouts/ points (select language option) to match and manufacturers make their underlays subtly different so changes in track are highlighted even if the rails are all to the same 'code'

But that can be the big advantage, no ballast stuck in the point-blades etc. And of course no ova glue spray etc. etc. In GB, peco would be the main rival, but I think everyone does something and there's gaugemaster who make their own.

The other plan, and it's expensive is to go for something like fleishmann (I said it was expensive!) profitrack and it's all in one, usually with point motor built in ready - total plug and play.

Hope this helps, rather than muddying the water more

Another Michael!

• Like 1

Thank you Michael,

I think I will go with the foam underlay. We have a dry house in a relatively dry climate (Melbourne, Australia), so that should work.

Your comments are most appreciated.

Michael

• Like 1

UV kills the foam too. It disintergrates into dust of various sized grains that clog up points and locomotive wheels, gears and valve gear/con-rods. I strips of cork tile as the track bed and kiln dried sand for ballast when ever I'm track laying now.

This is N scale. It would be much easier in OO.

airfield275.jpg

Prior to ballasting.

cstation75.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

The layouts were both for customers. It's 11 years since I built one for myself.

Ballasting with the sand is easy. Sprinkle it on dry. Use a soft brush to get it where you want and out of where you don't want. Using a plant spray, wet the sand out with a water/detergent mix, being careful not to get too close an dislodge the sand. Once wetted out, use dilute water/PVA mix applied with a brush or eye dropper, and the glue mix spreads through the sand by capillary action. Leave to dry and then paint with waterbased emulsion, diluted a little.

• Like 2